PDA

View Full Version : non-stop rain + some plywood + 32 wood screws =

kohlboto
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
A bottle storage rack...
Okay, I know this isn't exciting but it has been raining astoundingly hard up here for the last few days and I have been a bit fidgety so in lieu of riding and inspired by the Ikea catalogue, I decided to organize the bike room. (which is a bit misleading as it's really the laundry room with a corner for my bike gear). This is a scaled down version of an Ikea wine rack made from scrap 5/8" plywood. It saves some valuable drawer and cabinet space and it de-clutters my workspace a bit. I think, already, that version 2.0 will have one deeper cubby to fit the Accelerade rather than resting it on top.

AngryScientist
06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
that sir - is a great idea. i have bottles laying all over my garage, and they literally fall down every time i look at them, nice work. i'm making one!

William
06-07-2012, 07:41 AM
A bottle storage rack...
Okay, I know this isn't exciting but it has been raining astoundingly hard up here for the last few days and I have been a bit fidgety so in lieu of riding and inspired by the Ikea catalogue, I decided to organize the bike room. (which is a bit misleading as it's really the laundry room with a corner for my bike gear). This is a scaled down version of an Ikea wine rack made from scrap 5/8" plywood. It saves some valuable drawer and cabinet space and it de-clutters my workspace a bit. I think, already, that version 2.0 will have one deeper cubby to fit the Accelerade rather than resting it on top.

I look at that and think two things simultaneously:

1.) That's cool!:cool:
2.) You have too much time on your hands.;)

Nice job.:)

William

Grant McLean
06-07-2012, 07:42 AM
nice work, being organized is good, and i like the fact you
recognize that bottles come in pairs. I bet you use the right
length valves on your tubes for the depth of your rims.
can you come fix up my closets?

-g

Louis
06-07-2012, 07:47 AM
It's a good thing that rack is nice and sturdy - at times those bottles sure can be heavy. ;)

kohlboto
06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
nice work, being organized is good, and i like the fact you
recognize that bottles come in pairs. I bet you use the right
length valves on your tubes for the depth of your rims.
can you come fix up my closets?

-g

I custom cut and refit all my valve stems so they protrude 1 inch above the rim, regardless of depth:)

Grant McLean
06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
It's a good thing that rack is nice and sturdy - at times those bottles sure can be heavy. ;)

The question is, can you climb faster with your bottles on the shelf or in the drawer? :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66311&highlight=bottles+jersey+pockets+climb

-g

Louis
06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Another issue - what do you do if you happen to have three of one type of bottle?

ClutchCargo
06-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Nice job.
Now get cracking on the power gel rack ! :)

William
06-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Another issue - what do you do if you happen to have three of one type of bottle?

What if you don't have pairs or triples? What if all your bottles are different? I'm getting confused....:confused:

William

fuzzalow
06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Plywood?! Yeah but there's ramshackle plywood scrounge and there's Marshall 4x12 cab birchwood ply. That bottle rack is made with the good stuff. I applaud your effort and results and share your preoccupation with overkill.

Louis
06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Another issue: Do you have a system that allows you to know what you used last, so you don't use the same ones over and over again?

Option 1) Take from the top and shift all the others up one row.

Option 2) Remove all the horizontal shelves, take from the bottom and put clean ones into the open spot at the top.

Option 3) Add a note-pad on which you keep notes on what you used last.

Option 4) Add a metal strip down one side of the front, and place a magnet next to the ones that are to be used next. Each time you take a pair of bottles move the magnet to the next spot in line.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

daker13
06-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Plywood?! Yeah but there's ramshackle plywood scrounge and there's Marshall 4x12 cab birchwood ply.

Yeah really... and the tool wall to the left too. I'm tempted to do the same thing myself (maybe with cheaper plywood) since the little tool hangers always end up popping out of the pegboard. Does anyone have a solution to this? Damn annoying.

Birddog
06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Looks to me like it's a display of a little OCD. Next will be the police outlines arouind all the tools on the pegboard.

Louis
06-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Looks to me like it's a display of a little OCD. Next will be the police outlines arouind all the tools on the pegboard.

Only a truly messy person who lives in squalor would have a problem with that shelf. :p

MattTuck
06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Nice job! Don't let these doubters get you down. It looks good. I just keep water in my bottles, and use the same ones for up to 3 weeks. So I don't have nearly enough bottles to warrant such a project.

Organizing the rest of my bike stuff does sound like something I could do!

Louis
06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Organizing the rest of my bike stuff does sound like something I could do!

Regarding doing something similar for my bike stuff I only have two words:

Augean Stables

DAG
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
If you ever have to share your tools, in the immortal words of Yoda, a godsend they are. Looks to me like it's a display of a little OCD. Next will be the police outlines arouind all the tools on the pegboard.

TMB
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
A bottle storage rack...

Lord yes it has.

My back yard is half cleaned and weeded, and that half is starting to grow in again!

Today is a tease. Brilliant sunshine. 3º C (!), and a promise that by lunchtime it will be pouring rain again! But the good news is that by next week it is supposed to clear off ( what about my weekend - when I ride my bike?!)

Nice Rack! (hah!)

Fishbike
06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
As long as the bottles match the frame colors. . . . .

Matt-H
06-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I like it! Admitting now that my efforts would fall well short of that rack, how much, shipped? ;)

Earl Gray
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

I friend of mine claims that she is CDO. It is such a severe case of OCD that she even has to alphabetize the letters.

54ny77
06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice!

KidWok
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I friend of mine claims that she is CDO. It is such a severe case of OCD that she even has to alphabetize the letters.

That is awesome...I'm stealing that...

Tai

rugbysecondrow
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
A bottle storage rack...

Its nice, until you need a place for your shoes. :)