PDA

View Full Version : MTB Ride on North Shore and Vancouver Island

MarinRider
09-13-2005, 09:28 AM
The Girlfriend and I are headed to BC later this week for some RR with our dog and mountain bikes. I am looking for some recommendations of trails to ride in North Shore and on Vancouver Island. We plan to spend 3 nights in Vancouver and 3 nights on the island. Also looking for rides around the Columiba River Gorge.

We are sissy XC riders from Cali with me being much more of a roadie than MTBer. So we are not looking for wheelie-off-the-5-feet-drop-unto-a-seesaw types of technical riding that Northshore is famous for. We are looking for good single tracks that we can hammer along on our hardtails.

Any recommendation on trails or travelling advice will be greatly appreciated.

kbrown
09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Where are you staying on the island?

MarinRider
09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Two nights in Victoria and another night remains to be determined.

pdonk
09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Try calling the folks at deep cove in North Vancouver and explaining what type of riding you want to do. They are typically pretty helpful

http://www.covebike.com

waterystu
09-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Hartland Bike Park on Vancouver Island. If your coming from Vancouver it's about 20 mins from the ferry terminal. I haven't ridden it cause.....Im a roadie :D

Actually to clarify...I used to be a serious trail rider so I do know what your looking for. Hartland is very popular with the locals. It's maintained, groomed trails but challenging. Roland Green used to ride there alot....maybe still does.
It's not as technical as say the North Shore.

I would be glad to find out more info if you would like.

Good Luck

kbrown
09-13-2005, 11:19 AM
I have lived in Victoria for 3 years now and I find the riding at Mt. Work quite technical( but fun) and there aren't a lot of other choices in Victoria itself.The lower part of Van. Island,around Victoria,is more freeride oriented so if you are cross country riders you may find it challenging.A trail map of Mt.Work,sold at the LBS's,is necessary for first timers as the trail system is fairly complex.Some of the trails are also unidirectional and not much fun ridden in reverse.I don't mean to discourage you but it took some getting used to for a cross country guy like me.
Here are some phone numbers for the LBS's if you want some more info:
Oak Bay Bikes 250 598 4111
Rider's Cycles 250 381 1125

As far a Vancouver goes,I haven't had a chance to ride over there but I could give you a friends name who does ride the North Shore if you are interested.

If you are tempted at all to bring your road bikes,Victoria has some great road riding along the coast right in town.The roads are pretty quiet,especially in Sept-Oct.,after the majority of tourists are gone.You only have to watch out for old retirees and their walkers.Let me know if you want the number in Van. and I will call him.

kbrown
09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Waterystu called it Hartland Bike Park.I called it Mt.Work.Not to confuse you but they are the same place.The area goes by different names;Mt. Work,The Dump and Hartland Bike Park.

MarinRider
09-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Thank you for all the tips on where to look. Also found this link on the web:

http://www.wildisle.ca/activities/mtn_biking/

Do you think that Nanaimo is worth a day trip? Or we should rather go west and hit Pacific Rim NP?

We are not strictly looking for riding, but interesting place to explore.

Thanks again!

kbrown
09-14-2005, 01:04 PM
If you want to see some beautiful scenery on foot I would recommend driving up to the French/China Beach area.You can get some hiking thru rain forest which takes to the unspoiled,sandy beaches below.The weather can start to be a little unpredictable this time of year so pick your day accordingly.On the way there you will pass the town of Sooke and the Sooke River.The river doesn't look like much from the road but if you drive up to the end of that road(5 or 6 km)there is a parking lot where you can hike up the river to the Sooke Potholes.When you are here the salmon should be running and you can see them in the many pools along the way to the potholes.I took my 4 year old daughter up there last year and she sat on my shoulders and watched 40 to 50 lb. salmon navigate up the shallows right at our feet.The trail is not very well marked as to where the potholes are so ask in town before hand.The potholes themseves are huge sandstone basins worn smooth and round from the river rushing over them.If you want any more info just email me at mcbrownie@shaw.ca