PDA

View Full Version : I gotta get me some headlights

Tom
09-13-2005, 08:14 AM
I had to drop the car off to get a couple or three payments worth of maintenance done and take Karen's car to work, which means I had to get her to her job roughly on time so if I wanted to ride I had to go out at 5:30.

I have a red blinky strobe pointing backwards so it wasn't totally irresponsible, but it sure was fun. Twenty miles an hour in the dark is a real thrill.

I have to do this more often but not until I have a lighting system. Zipping along in the dark is just way too much fun.

Fixed
09-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Bro hittin a brick in the road can mess up your ride.Cheers :beer:

TimD
09-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Rolled out at 0515 last Thursday, black sky and bright stars overhead. I'd ridden the course the day before, and about a hundred times before that, so I knew where the (fixed) obstacles were...

I later joined a group, a member of which was using an HID system that was truly impressive - like riding with an MB 300E or Acura TL xenon headlight.

Just remember that you are essentially invisible out there, and so too many lights and reflectors are probably just enough. I think a lot of people are afraid of getting too close to space aliens moving through the dark :)

TimD

djg
09-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Just remember that you are essentially invisible out there, and so too many lights and reflectors are probably just enough. I think a lot of people are afraid of getting too close to space aliens moving through the dark :)

TimD

Yep. In fact, get yourself a decent headlight and you can leave the probe at home.

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
. . . let me know if you'd like to borrow my Marwi to give it a try. 12 watt low beam, 20 watt hi-beam, bottle cage battery, and the whole thing only cost me $150. Jeff Meyers has one, too. It's a great, reasonably priced light. I haven't used it on my road bike, but it works great on the MTB.

BBDave

MarinRider
09-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Vega is a pretty good light at $180. To be able to zip along at 20+, you will need a HID lamp. I have a NR flame thrower and it provides ample of lighting, probably too much light for city street riding. NR also came out with a 12 hour lamp recently, might have to get it for next year's 24 races.

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2005, 09:22 AM
. . . if you've got $400 to spend. I like the Marwi because it's a great value for $150.

BBDave

jwb96
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm quite normally a proud, frugal yankee, much more pleased to have gotten a good deal than to have the best of anything. I have to agree that the Marwi, which I *had*, was an incredible bargain given its battery life, brightness and price. But a good deal on eBay and the desire to go more comfortably down the 30 mph+ hills of my daily commute pushed me to get an L&M HID. I still got a good deal on it, appealing to my frugalness, but I'm a million times happier with the visibility. I quite regularly get cars flashing their high-beams at me, so I even feel like I get a little revenge against those other drivers who don't seem to mind blinding me by keeping their high-beams on. Anyway, if you're going to be serious about this, go big to begin with and the extra money is well spent in the comfort you'll feel.

Ozz
09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I picked up a L & M ARC HID this summer...it can fry a chicken at 20 yds.

Comes with both helmet and handlebar mounts...

I got it on ebay for about $300...bought an All-Clad SS paella pan from the same guy....weird.

PanTerra
09-13-2005, 12:28 PM
I got the L&M HID helmet mount variety, back when there was a distinction between helmet and handlebar mount. Those things are known to lock up car wheels when you aim the center spot right at the driver, right as they are pulling out in front of you at an intersection. :cool:

Too Tall
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm on both sides of the fence for lighting. I kinda dig make-your-own with a generator (Schmidt) for generally decent commuting weather. However when there is no moon or there was a storm the night before....nothing and I mean nothing beats massive overkill of an HID lighting system (NR HID).

Slap a dorky reflective triangle on your fanny and a few well placed strips of stealthy black 3M reflective material and you are good to go.

Night time commuting is my fav. time of yr. It is sooo peaceful.

FlaRider
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Too Tall,

Do you find that your HID light interferes with the performance of either your Power Tap or SRM? I'm considering buying a HID but don't want it to mess with my power readings.

Thanks.

Dr. Doofus
09-13-2005, 01:07 PM
quality

(there's a really good picture of ava gardner here that won't load)

(and one here too)

(headlights)

ols
09-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Jet Lites is another option to add to the list. My choice was the $245 helmet mounted model Phantom single beam (halogen rather than HID) which can also fry an egg at 30 yards, etc etc.

http://www.jetlites.com/psb.html

Also, you can see a side-by-side nighttime photo comparison of lighting systems done by MTBR.com here:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Tmogul
09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I also recommend HID lights. Its easy to forget how far up the road we usually look when descending or riding along at speed. I know light and motion (which is what I have) tend to cast a nice big light giving you some peripheral vision as well. The nightrider HID casts a narrower beam but my buddy feels its a bit brighter and it has a longer burn time.

Too Tall, night time riding can be great. It is very peaceful and your senses become heightened since there is much less to hear and see. However just don't drive near any community colleges with neanderthal students. A truck flew by once while I was riding a tandem with my wife and threw a gallon jug full of water that just missed the front tire (and remember its velocity of car plus that of the jug; I'd say it was easily flying by at 50+). Let's just say we stay away from that area late at night now. I can certainly understand how rage plus a weapon could result in some terrible consequences and I'm not a violent man but I could of fooled you that night.

Anyways....get an HID....you can train for over 3hrs.

Dekonick
09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
great thread!

Ok - what about the choice for locations?

Helmet or bar and why?

cookieguy
09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I am a really big fan of my NR HID, a nice bright, broad beam. I have no troubles with it on the handlebars due the beam breadth. It definately gets plenty of attention with the corresponding red flasher in back.

A few weeks ago at the Moonlight classic in Denver there were several people who were asking if I minded if they road with me for a while so they could see.

I road once with a ~$75 multi-LED headlight....for me, really spooky. Much, much too dark.

Mornings are getting mighty brisk (upper 40s) here in Boulder. I suppose I will go hunting for my tights this weekend or next.

The Spider
09-14-2005, 04:34 AM
I got it on ebay for about $300...bought an All-Clad SS paella pan from the same guy....weird.

you too?? who'd have thought....I ALWAYS do my 24hr MTB races with a paella pan!

The battries on the new systems are so light these days, and with HID the only draw back is to remember not to look at anyone when you talk to them (oh *****, I just blinded Davo!).

4 years ago I first used a HID in a 24hr race and people were freakin out as I came up behind them..."I didn't know what you were, as bright as a car but with no noise" and my favorite "whoa, I thought I was going to get abducted by aliens man!".

Embrace the probe!

Too Tall
09-14-2005, 06:38 AM
FlaRider, nope no problem.
DekDewd - I like mine on the bars because any added weight on my helmet feels bad. However, for long Rando rides and Ultra racing I use an lightweight headlamp to read my queue sheet and street signs.

Cover your lights!!! That's right. When you are approaching another cyclist on a bike path at night you should shade your headlamp. Them frickin' thaings are bright!!!

Ray
09-14-2005, 07:44 AM
great thread!

Ok - what about the choice for locations?

Helmet or bar and why?
For road riding, on the handlebar is fine - where the bike is going and where you're looking is usually close enough to the same thing. For mtb riding, ideally one on the bar and one on the helmet, but if you only have one, wear it on the helmet because where the bar is pointed is less relevant than where you're looking. For in-town commuting with a lot of traffic, keep it on the helmet so you can REALLY get a driver's attention when you need to.

-Ray

Ozz
09-14-2005, 08:15 AM
you too?? who'd have thought....I ALWAYS do my 24hr MTB races with a paella pan!
ya gotta eat...might as well eat well! :beer:

Marron
09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
As a year round commuter I have a couple of systems that I've acquired over the years that have all been good to great in terms of front lighting. However, there is one system I reley on in the deep dark depths of the Seattle winter and I want to be absolutely, positively sure that motorists can see me in the rainy dark; that is Nightrider. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned their best in class tail lights. They are brighter than any of the other alternatives by an couple of orders of magnitude. A side by side comparison reveals just how inadequte most of the battery powered blinkies really are. Despite the fact that NR has a dubious reputaion for quality which I have experinced first hand, and that ther setup is a bit more cumbersome than the newest systems, I still believe the tradeoffs are worth it for the improved rearward visibility. It's what I can't see that scares me.

Ray
09-14-2005, 12:28 PM
As a year round commuter I have a couple of systems that I've acquired over the years that have all been good to great in terms of front lighting. However, there is one system I reley on in the deep dark depths of the Seattle winter and I want to be absolutely, positively sure that motorists can see me in the rainy dark; that is Nightrider. I'm suprised that no one has mentioned their best in class tail lights. They are brighter than any of the other alternatives by an couple of orders of magnitude. A side by side comparison reveals just how inadequte most of the battery powered blinkies really are. Despite the fact that NR has a dubious reputaion for quality which I have experinced first hand, and that ther setup is a bit more cumbersome than the newest systems, I still believe the tradeoffs are worth it for the improved rearward visibility. It's what I can't see that scares me.
My experience is that there are a bunch of good blinky taillights. A few of them aren't worth a bucket of warm spit, but many of them are quite good. I have a few different Cateye's, Avenir's, and Vista lights that are all highly visible. I've had drivers pull up next to me at stop lights and tell me they saw me more than a half mile away. Target fixation can be an issue to think about with a really bright blinky, but not being seen isn't likely to be an issue.

-Ray

Ozz
09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
...I'm suprised that no one has mentioned their best in class tail lights. They are brighter than any of the other alternatives by an couple of orders of magnitude. A side by side comparison reveals just how inadequte most of the battery powered blinkies really are.....
I have a Niterider tailight (Tailfazer?) ...came in a package with the LED headlight. I really like it, and you are right, it is really bright. Much better than the Vista and Cateyes I've had before. It has three modes: Solid, flashing, and (my fave) a "cylon eyeball' side to side flash. The only drawback is that I have is positioned horizontally on my seatpost, and it is wide enough that occasionally I hit it with the back of my thighs.

http://www.niterider.com/products.php?sku=5000

BTW - Did anyone do the "Moonlight Classic" in Denver a couple weeks ago?