PDA

View Full Version : 26-Inch to 650B Conversion Brakes ???

DHallerman
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm looking to set-up my Bridgestone MB-2, a classic steel early 90s mountain bike, with 650B wheels.

I understand that Tektro CR720 cantilevers are one brakeset that has enough vertical range for this type of conversion.

Is that true?

And, what other canti brakes would work for a 26" to 650B conversion?

Dave, who will probably use Pacenti Pari-Moto tires for this change since he's looking for a rough stuff bike and not a pure offroad thing

cp43
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
26" wheels are 559mm in rim diameter, 650B are 584mm. For brakes, we need to look at the distance from the axle to the rim, so, for 26", that's 279.5mm, for 650B, that's 292mm. So, you need 12.5mm additional vertical adjustment above the current position of the shoes.

I can't say which brakes would accomplish this. Maybe your current ones will, just measure how much slot is left above the current shoe position.

Sorry I can't give you any real info.

Good luck with the project.

Chris

Ken C
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't have first hand knowlege, but the website says these brakes can be used for 700c wheels on mtn bikes designed for 26".

http://www.paulcomp.com/motobmx.html

ElHardeen
02-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Curious how the conversion came along. Just became the owner of an MB-3 myself and have been playing with 650B wheels on it the past few days.

So far have ruled out the original Shimano Canti's as their poor threaded posts didn't have enough play.

Also struck out with my beloved Paul Touring Canti's.

So far the closest I have come out of the parts bin has been with Tektro Shorty Ultimates, which still don't quite reach and squeal rather viciously at my lack of proper contact.

So before I get the Dremel out, how did you get yours up and running?

Have heard the Tektro CR720 play nice, and have seen the questionable Canti-Post replacements that effectively move the posts up a bit.

Cicli
02-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Paul brakes.

bmeryman
03-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Paul brakes.

Yup. Here:

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/

Ken Robb
03-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Curious how the conversion came along. Just became the owner of an MB-3 myself and have been playing with 650B wheels on it the past few days.

So far have ruled out the original Shimano Canti's as their poor threaded posts didn't have enough play.

Also struck out with my beloved Paul Touring Canti's.

So far the closest I have come out of the parts bin has been with Tektro Shorty Ultimates, which still don't quite reach and squeal rather viciously at my lack of proper contact.

So before I get the Dremel out, how did you get yours up and running?

Have heard the Tektro CR720 play nice, and have seen the questionable Canti-Post replacements that effectively move the posts up a bit.

I have a few sets of cantis in my stash. If you like I can try to measure distance from pivot to top of brake slot. I want you to enjoy that bike. :-)

weisan
03-01-2017, 01:04 PM
I converted my surly trucker from 26" to 650b while retaining the same shimano brakes that I had, no issue at all. Those brakes are BR-M600 if you want to look it up.