PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for fixed gear components

surfbikeswim
09-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Looking for advice in building up this frame. I would prefer silver components.

Couldn't upload photos from original owner so put them at http://home.att.net/~ianbal/bike/.

I will try and take more photos of bare frame and post later today.

Thanks,
Ian

Fixed
09-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Bro I first say get a 165 crank you might have the other parts already.Cheers :beer:

djg
09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Looking for advice in building up this frame. I would prefer silver components.

Couldn't upload photos from original owner so put them at http://home.att.net/~ianbal/bike/.

I will try and take more photos of bare frame and post later today.

Thanks,
Ian

I cannot tell from the photo what sort of rear dropout you have. If there's enough horizontal play in the dropout for chain tensioning, you can choose from all sorts of hubs (or rework what you have). If not, you may be stuck with either a creative gearing choice exercise or an Eno eccentric hub. As for the rest, all sorts of old road gear comes in silver and can be converted to fixie use (I think Harris Cyclery was selling some older dura ace conversions, among others). If you are mounting brakes (or a brake), Shimano and Tektro are selling polished levers and there's always used and NOS too. For track gear: Sugino is a possible crankset at a moderate price, Miche makes a "silver" kit (nice looking crankset, IMO), and there's always Campy Pista. For used gear, there are all sorts of boards. For new, Harris Cyclery has a bunch of fixie stuff, Worldclass Cycles and Business Cycles stock a lot of track gear, and I'm sure others can point you elsewhere.

Samster
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Try:

1. Sugino 75 cranks and BB (165mm)
2. Surly or Suzue hubs at 120mm (? check with tape) fix/free or fix/fix
3. Wipperman chain (they come in silver, 1/8" width)
4. EAI cog (sorry, these are mostly black.)
5. Nitto steel drops and stem
6. Suggest and ultegra front brake (old series [br-7500?] are selling at $70 per _pair_ at Nashbar last I checked) and Tectro cross lever... etc.

not much else to buy.

good luck
--sam

Vancouverdave
09-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Stronglight is making a very nice track crank currently, retail should be under $150.

b3bicycles
09-13-2005, 09:48 AM
For my single speed crank I took an old XT crank and got a Hershey Racing adapter of ebay for $20 and a set of sugino rings. This made a nice and STIFF crank setup. Just a thought.

surfbikeswim
09-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I took some more pictures. I will upload again later tonight.

For those who have been ... um.... fixed for a while, do you have a flip-flop with single speed/fixed? If so, do you use both? Would you recommend it?

I don't have an existing set of parts - so I will be starting with a clean slate.

Rear spacing is supposed to be 126mm.

Thanks,
Ian

surfbikeswim
09-13-2005, 06:44 PM
http://home.att.net/~ianbal/bike/raleigh2.html

FierteTi52
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't get the 165mm cranks concept. I had a fixie with 165's and I ride 170's on my road bike. I never liked the feel, so I switched to 170's and was much happier.
Jeff

aLexis
09-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Stronglight is making a very nice track crank currently, retail should be under $150.

Here is the website to their US distributor, Strongbad!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_sb.html

vandeda
09-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't get the 165mm cranks concept. I had a fixie with 165's and I ride 170's on my road bike. I never liked the feel, so I switched to 170's and was much happier.
Jeff

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the idea ground clearance around corners so that you don't plant a pedal into the ground?

that being said, i run 170s (i think) and i've never had a problem, but i also keep that fact in mind whenever i corner because prior to fixie'ing my Centurion, I had smacked the pedal into the ground on numerous occassions when I didn't even think I was cornering hard enough to do so, so I'm just more mindful of it these days

Dan

jerk
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Here is the website to their US distributor, Strongbad!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_sb.html

your the jerk's favorite moderatrix ever.

Smiley
09-13-2005, 08:02 PM
What is a Moderatrix anyway , is that some kind of sexual thang !! I love the handle Alexis . Better then us bestowing the Sheriff on Alyson ( who !!! ) . speaking of the Sheriff , where is she :banana:

aLexis
09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
What is a Moderatrix anyway , is that some kind of sexual thang !! I love the handle Alexis . Better then us bestowing the Sheriff on Alyson ( who !!! ) . speaking of the Sheriff , where is she :banana:

Moderator just sounded too bland. People really know you mean business when you are a moderatrix. It's actually a word, just the female form of moderator, but it sounds cooler.

PS. Sorry for hijacking your fixed gear thread. To contribute, I would not run a fixed/free set-up. You will love your fixie so much that the f/w side will never get touched. I prefer a single fixed hub. You don't have trackends on that frame, so you'll probably want to find the gear combination that works best for you, size your chain accordingly, and ride away.

surfbikeswim
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
snip

PS. Sorry for hijacking your fixed gear thread. To contribute, I would not run a fixed/free set-up. You will love your fixie so much that the f/w side will never get touched. I prefer a single fixed hub. You don't have trackends on that frame, so you'll probably want to find the gear combination that works best for you, size your chain accordingly, and ride away.

No problem, any opinions on fenders - I was looking at the SKS P45. I was looking at using 28mm tires - though I might go back to 25s.

Has anyone used the SKS P35 for with 28mm tires? There seems to be some conflicting info on the sites as to whether this works or not.

Ian

surfbikeswim
09-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Wondering about the practicality of a Brooks for this bike? If I have fenders, won't be leaving the bike outside and regular commute is approx 35-40 minutes is this a non-issue?

I currently am around 150lbs, will the B-17N more likely be a better choice? Any other suggestions either Brooks or others?

Ian

Fixed
09-14-2005, 05:07 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the idea ground clearance around corners so that you don't plant a pedal into the ground?

that being said, i run 170s (i think) and i've never had a problem, but i also keep that fact in mind whenever i corner because prior to fixie'ing my Centurion, I had smacked the pedal into the ground on numerous occassions when I didn't even think I was cornering hard enough to do so, so I'm just more mindful of it these days

Dan
Bro if you want to go for it at anytime ya need 165's most of the old fixies have low b.b. if you ride urban you never stop and hit cornors at different angles i.m.h.o. but all my fix bikes are pices of junk but I still like them.Cheers :beer: