PDA

View Full Version : a bit of Bent preview

eddief
02-21-2004, 04:59 PM
I will not sit here and rave about the new Bacchetta Corsa High Racer. I will say this little purchase has been way more thrilling than the last 4 diamond frames. I love my Rex, and even though I have not ever been on a snow board, for me learning how to ride this thing must be akin to the thrill, not the pain, of learning how to snowboard.

Just for kicks, maybe consider one of these as part of your bike stable. Put a little thrill in your life. The High Racer format seems to have a bit of head of steam. Bacchettas are made in Taiwan, but both Rans and The Hostel Shoppe (Volae) are doing American made versions. Volae are being welded at Waterford, so should be a nice looking product.

The Volae comes with DA parts and Alpha Q fork, and is quite spritely at about 24 lbs.

Bacchetta Aero Ti comes in at 22.

I know this is the Serotta message board and will not attempt to sell the bent way of life.

Work some new muscles. Have fun.

eddief
02-21-2004, 07:55 PM
boo

ChamUK
02-22-2004, 09:30 AM
eddief,

Congratulations! Good choice for your first bent. I currently ride a HPVelotechniks SpeedMachine, as well as a Litespeed. Some dudes get a bent and never ride their road bikes again. However, I still love to ride my road bike.
It is hard for me to decide what to ride. It's very tough trying to convince fellow road riders that bents are a viable alternative. I don't blame them, it's not easy being different.

eddief
02-22-2004, 09:43 AM
ChamUK,

Is it because I am just now getting started into bents, or do you too see a rising interest in the newer breed of lightweight high racers? I wonder if their time has come and more road riders will give it a try. By the weird looks I get on the Bacchetta, I think it could go either way.

Smiley
02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Mark Colliton the designer of X-Eyed bikes the maker of your bent rides with us in Rock Creek DC area. Nice guy whom I introduced to Ben Serotta a few years back in hopes that the 2 would hook up and have Serotta build his bent design. Its too bad as I feel like you do that Bents have their place and I wonder if you cross train on your bent due to the different mucsel groups you use will you become a better rider on your single. I am almost on the dark side as I ride a tandem and that gets me there half way. Buying and designing a fixiee as we speak.

eddief
02-22-2004, 02:49 PM
I have ridden the Corsa only about 5 miles so far. Working on control and turning corners, etc. After those miles I am not in pain, but definitely feel tightness in new places. Whether or not that helps to be a better upright rider time will tell. If nothing else it is another excuse to get butt out of the house even more often.

On a getting-comfortable note, with the high bb and clipless pedals, it can be a bit precarious starting even on level ground. I was instructed to clip one foot in, get the crank arm back, and give it a big thrust. That method put me and the bent on the pavement on my elbow.

If you take a shot at it, I might recommend coasting to get going and then with some momentum, sticking your foot in the clips one pedal at a time. May save scratches and feeling super dorky.

Too Tall
02-23-2004, 08:32 AM
So, what's become of Bill Cook? Aside from crushing innocent citizens in a 700hp volvo his recumbents have been absent from local roads as of late. What gives?