PDA

View Full Version : barcons or brifters

flydhest
06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
So, I just got a SOMA 'cross frame that I am going to build up. (Note, for those of you who know me and know the esoteric and arcane details of what I do for a living, you may get a chuckle from the pun.) I will use it primarily as a fendered bike for commuting, trail riding, pulling my daughter in the Burley trailer, some early season training when my team goes to the mountains of West Virginia (I'm building it with a compact), and I may well do a couple of 'cross races this fall.

I have never had barcons. I raced DT shifters when I started racing. Have had brifters since 2000 or so.

What are folks' thoughts?

93legendti
06-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I have Bar Cons on my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro. I like them a lot. Cheap, easy to repair, friction option, low key...I considered putting them on my fendered Salsa Casseroll, but opted for Kelly Take Offs, which are a similar concept.

Why not?

bobswire
06-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Barcons for your intended use is ideal.
Just finished this one up yesterday,10 speed DA barcons.

http://i49.tinypic.com/29g1nw1.jpg

10 speed vintage SunTour.

http://i47.tinypic.com/23if8z9.jpg

zap
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
meh.

aero bars only and then it would have to be skinny carbon.

barcons are akin to hybrids with bar ends reaching skyward.

handsomerob
06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I just built up a Soma Saga with DT shifters and as much as I want to like them, I miss having integrated shifting. It isn't as big a deal riding by myself but integrated shifting makes group riding more comfortable. I will probably convert it as soon as I figure out my solution for running Campy with a 135mm rear dropout.

fiamme red
06-05-2012, 10:20 AM
meh.

aero bars only and then it would have to be skinny carbon.

barcons are akin to hybrids with bar ends reaching skyward.Tell that to Rik Van Looy. :rolleyes:

Many professional racers (especially sprinters) used to use bar-cons through the 1970's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729526@N02/5278961439/

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5207/5278961439_05b42c27e6_b.jpg

veloduffer
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I like them both but have barcons on mine and my wife's cross bikes. Simple, reliable and something different (variety) than brifters.

GRAVELBIKE
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I just built up a Soma Saga with DT shifters and as much as I want to like them, I miss having integrated shifting. It isn't as big a deal riding by myself but integrated shifting makes group riding more comfortable. I will probably convert it as soon as I figure out my solution for running Campy with a 135mm rear dropout.

This works well:
http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=706

Ken Robb
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I have a vintage bike w/DT shifters in a Nuovo Record Gruppo. It's "interesting" and fun to ride for a change but sometimes it is inconvenient to take a hand off the bars and reach down to shift. OTOH I have barend shifters on two bikes. One has 9 speed DA indexed and the other has 7 speed friction Sun Tour Power Ratchets. I find them as convenient as the Shimano or Campy brifters on my other bikes.

Barends sound like they would be excellent on the bike you describe.

AngryScientist
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
so what is it you do for a living?

barcons are OK, but, IMO if you're doing faster group rides and even racing on this bike, in addition to other things, I would spring for brifters myself.

staggerwing
06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Personally, I really love barcons, but realize some are indifferent.

Two points in particular seal the deal for me. First, I have moderate carpal tunnel issues, and move all over the bar. When flaring up, it is uncomfortable for me to grasp/wrist twist motion needed on modern levers, although my ring and pinky fingers are the least effected. Much easier for me to move a barcon lever down with the heal of my hand or up with a ring and pinky finger combo. I never pull my hands off of the drops to move the barcons with a pinching grasp. Second, I spend at least half of my time in the drops, and find the barcons are always nearby. If you tend to spend most of your time up top, then barcons are not likely to meet with favor.

Options are good.

JAGI410
06-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I love barcons. But for your project I'd suggest the Retroshift setup.

zap
06-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Tell that to Rik Van Looy. :rolleyes:

Many professional racers (especially sprinters) used to use bar-cons through the 1970's.

Happy too....but that was the 70's.

Much has changed.

Ken Robb
06-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Personally, I really love barcons, but realize some are indifferent.

Two points in particular seal the deal for me. First, I have moderate carpal tunnel issues, and move all over the bar. When flaring up, it is uncomfortable for me to grasp/wrist twist motion needed on modern levers, although my ring and pinky fingers are the least effected. Much easier for me to move a barcon lever down with the heal of my hand or up with a ring and pinky finger combo. I never pull my hands off of the drops to move the barcons with a pinching grasp. Second, I spend at least half of my time in the drops, and find the barcons are always nearby. If you tend to spend most of your time up top, then barcons are not likely to meet with favor.

Options are good.

I agree with these comments about how to shift bar-cons and want to mention how easy it is to shift across the whole cassette with one move of the shifter. That's not something I've had to do often but occasionally riding single track in thick brush I have come around a corner to find an abrupt climb where a big gear dump allowed me to keep moving.

bobswire
06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I agree with these comments about how to shift bar-cons and want to mention how easy it is to shift across the whole cassette with one move of the shifter. That's not something I've had to do often but occasionally riding single track in thick brush I have come around a corner to find an abrupt climb where a big gear dump allowed me to keep moving.

+1 Barcons are efficient,simple, cheap and just about infallible once set up. But I do use brifters on my main road bikes, variety is the spice of life.

kceb_cire
06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Why choose? Just do both!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5213/5477950428_b05c670e00_b.jpg

flydhest
06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
so for you barcon users, is friction preferable to index? Can you use any barcon on index and use it with a 10-speed? For example, a Shimano 8 speed barcon, set to friction, I assume I could use it with Campy 10 speed derailleurs/gears?

fiamme red
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
so for you barcon users, is friction preferable to index?No, with eight or more cogs, index is preferable. Of course, the front shifting on bar-cons is always friction.

staggerwing
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
^^^What he said^^^

FWIW, the modern Campy barends are index only on the rear. As far as I know, only Shimano has the fall back friction option, which I suppose could be handy in an emergency on tour through BFE.

esldude
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't much like barcons. I grew up with down tube shifters. Not an issue. I can do barcons as well, though I really don't find them one bit better than down tube positioning. The movement off the hand position is not that much different.

I have only used brifters a couple years. Recently built up a bike yet lacked suitable brifters. Went ahead and put barcons on it to get it rolling. Figured I might just leave them. Going to them from brifters I very much did not like. Brifters are a good idea.

Yeah, barcons are reliable, less expensive, have fewer compatibility issues and one can use them in any situation forever if need be. But brifters hardly break as often as sometimes portrayed in my experience. If you get them set up then there really aren't too many issues. And they are simply a better shifter ergonomically. I was quite surprised I disliked them so much after a short time using brifters.

jr59
06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
so for you barcon users, is friction preferable to index? Can you use any barcon on index and use it with a 10-speed? For example, a Shimano 8 speed barcon, set to friction, I assume I could use it with Campy 10 speed derailleurs/gears?

I too would like an answer to this.

Can I use my Suntour barends to shift 11, 10 ,9???

Puget Pounder
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM

SunTur Bar Ends can usually hit 10. Some derailleurs that require more pull may not make it. The friction option for all Shimano shifters have the same range.

Ken Robb
06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't much like barcons. I grew up with down tube shifters. Not an issue. I can do barcons as well, though I really don't find them one bit better than down tube positioning. The movement off the hand position is not that much different.

I ride a lot in the drops and with moustache bars so I work my bar-cons without moving my hands to find the shifters. The heel of my hand moves the lever down and my pinkie pulls it up so down tube shifters are very different for me.

Frankwurst
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Barcons and contrary to what some might say or think they do just fine in the friction mode on eight and nine speeds. I do it all the time, in fact I prefer it. I can't speak of ten speeds simply because I don't have any. :beer:

KidWok
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Will the bike be locked up outside a lot? If so go with the cheaper option.

I use and am happy with both. Only hesitance for using bar-end shifters is if the bike is locked in place with potential for theft. My current commuter comes into the office with me so I use brifters on it. I went with bar-end shifters on the touring rig for ultimate reliability. My wife actually prefers bar-end shifters and I have some friends with arthritis/hand problems that can only use bar-end shifters. On a bike regularly ridden in wet/cold conditions, I'd definitely go with bar-end shifters.

Tai

KidWok
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Why choose? Just do both!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5213/5477950428_b05c670e00_b.jpg

What's the back story on this bike using both brifters and bar end shifters? Link to article?

Tai

flydhest
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Will the bike be locked up outside a lot? If so go with the cheaper option.

I use and am happy with both. Only hesitance for using bar-end shifters is if the bike is locked in place with potential for theft. My current commuter comes into the office with me so I use brifters on it. I went with bar-end shifters on the touring rig for ultimate reliability. My wife actually prefers bar-end shifters and I have some friends with arthritis/hand problems that can only use bar-end shifters. On a bike regularly ridden in wet/cold conditions, I'd definitely go with bar-end shifters.

Tai
No, not locked up outside much. Commuting, the bike rack is in the garage, out of site, guarded by armed guards. I leave my Legend with Record on it unlocked.

bobswire
06-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Yes, unlike designated brifters (STI)you can use your suntour friction barcons to shift a 5/6/7 speed freewheel, 8/9/10 speed shimano/sram cassette or 11 speed campy in friction mode. Both bikes below I think of as all rounder errand/commuter/city/fire road bikes that I don't worry too much about locking up if need be.
Unlike some I feel it is easier to shift from the bar ends than the downtube since my hands do not stray off the bars to shift.
This one is set up with suntour vintage barcons with 10 speed shimano at present.

http://i39.tinypic.com/4hs4cg.jpg

This one is set up with DA 7900 barcons 10 speed indexed mode.

http://i45.tinypic.com/b7kxea.jpg

djg
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
So, I just got a SOMA 'cross frame that I am going to build up. (Note, for those of you who know me and know the esoteric and arcane details of what I do for a living, you may get a chuckle from the pun.) I will use it primarily as a fendered bike for commuting, trail riding, pulling my daughter in the Burley trailer, some early season training when my team goes to the mountains of West Virginia (I'm building it with a compact), and I may well do a couple of 'cross races this fall.

I have never had barcons. I raced DT shifters when I started racing. Have had brifters since 2000 or so.

What are folks' thoughts?

Commuting? Whatever floats your boat. A few races? Anything. But you'll like it. And then you'll do more. And then you'll want "brifters," by which one means Campagnolo ergopower levers.

What's esoteric about what you do for a living? A policy geek? Some economics? This place is lousy with 'em. Try using one of the Hains Point public rest rooms without having three of four of those guys look at you kinda funny. Asking if you've seen their keys by the lamp post.

Louis
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
My only real issue with barcons is the cable routing - to my eye it's always looked silly.

I'd say DT or brifter. If cross-racing may be in the picture, then I guess DT shifters might not be the best option. So I guess that means brifter. Unless you think you can do X-racing with DT shifters. Come to think of it, some guys do it with a SS, so I suppose there's no reason you can't do DT. So I've changed my mind. I say DT.

fiamme red
06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
My only real issue with barcons is the cable routing - to my eye it's always looked silly.There's no reason why you can't route the cables under the bar tape to the stem, as with brifters.

palincss
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
But brifters hardly break as often as sometimes portrayed in my experience.

Maybe not, but their cables sure do. Had another one break on my ride today; the owner says this isn't the first time he's broken a shift cable, and usually they last around 1 year or 2,000 miles. So far, I guess he's been lucky, because he didn't mention the STI unit jamming on the broken off cable end, as they so often do; and he did not need to replace the unit, as you so often have to do in that circumstance.

Bar end shifters, although they do break cables, get far longer cable life than that - in my experience, at least 5,000 miles, and when the cables start to fray the sharp ends will stick you in your index finger and give you warning there's a problem you can't ignore -- unlike STI units, which seem to auto-shift two or three times, and then the cable just breaks.

Louis
06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
There's no reason why you can't route the cables under the bar tape to the stem, as with brifters.

I didn't know that. You live and learn.

In that case, go with barcons.

kceb_cire
06-06-2012, 02:25 AM
What's the back story on this bike using both brifters and bar end shifters? Link to article?

Tai

Came across it while browsing the dirt rag flickr, there wasn't much of a story, but it sure was cool to see.

Rudy
06-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I have bar end shifters on three bikes: Ultegras (index or friction modes) controlling 7 speed freewheel with cables routed to below brake levers; Campagnolo indexed on eight speed routed to the stem; and Rivendell's excellent friction system shifting seven cogs with cables exiting at the forward end of the drops. (My other setups are Camp 8 and 10 Ergopowers and one ancient SR group with DTs.)

All operate splendidly. The Rivendells should shift all cassette configurations. But double check with Grant. None looks sillier than the old SIS cables sprouting from the brake/shift levers. I spend a lot of time in the hooks and find bar ends quite handy in that position.

jamesutiopia
06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I do love my barends, but not for every purpose

Optimize your position on the bars for the drops (not hoods). This means shorter stem and higher bars
Barends are easy to shift when seated but not when standing. This is not really an issue when riding by yourself (tours, brevets, training, commuting), but is a frustration in pacelines
Barends (and DT too) are wonderful on tandems so you can see/feel what gear you are in
Am disappointed with the quality of 9s and 10s indexed barends from Shimano and SRAM (haven't used Campy in a very long time). They start out with a nice positive (notchy?) feel and loosen up from there, with very little opportunity to tighten them up as was possible with older generations (no adjustment at all for SRAM, and Shimano 9s and 10s don't respond to tightening the way friction shifters do).

Wore out a SRAM barend (the non-serviceable springs broke) in less than 12 months. It started auto-upshifting on hills; granted, I did train for and ride PBP on it, but about 9k miles is not a lot of service for a shifter. Sent it in for warranty last month and haven't heard (or seen) any response yet...
Find 9s Shimano barends develop enough play in their index position that you have to jimmy them about to effect the shift you want regardless of cable adjustment. When you want one cog, it's really annoying to find the options are either no shift at all, or two cogs
Haven't worn out my 10s Shimano barends yet, but they were new in January and is much looser now than when new...

At least modern barends are still cheap, so not a big deal to replace them when they stop working well

flydhest
06-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I neglected the critical element that I run Campy.

I was only able to find Record barcons and they are not cheap. Given that Centaur works as well as Record for 10 speed, I was going to go Centaur (maybe even Veloce) and brifters will be cheaper, especially when you factor in needing to get brake levers in addition to barcons.

Help disabuse me if I am benighted.

veloduffer
06-06-2012, 07:51 AM
My only real issue with barcons is the cable routing - to my eye it's always looked silly.

I route my cables under the tape on my wife's and my cross bikes for a nice clean look. :banana:

http://racerx.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p595743132-3.jpg
http://racerx.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v8/p447545459-3.jpg

bobswire
06-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I route my cables under the tape on my wife's and my cross bikes for a nice clean look. :banana:

Nice job, I may do that with mine when I change stem and bars.

redir
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I've raced cross a few years back in the day on barcon's. When I switched to a modern bike with Shimano brifters I desperately wanted to go back to barcons. But I got used to it. Can't say I prefer anyone either way for cross racing. The only advantages in barcons is that it lightens up the front end a bit and you can dump the whole cassette up or down which is kind of nice in cross. Also they are more simple mechanically.

I still use them on my TT bike, 9-Speed in friction mode and they work just fine. I've always had issues using the indexed mode and ultimately go back to friction.

Brifters are going to be a bit more expensive too but if money is not an obstacle then I'd say go with the brifters.

jr59
06-06-2012, 08:48 AM

this is great!

KidWok
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Those are some very nice looking bikes...I always thought it was a bit counter functional to route the cables under the tape all the way...but those just look so nice...I might have to do that next time around.

Tai

djg
06-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I neglected the critical element that I run Campy.

I was only able to find Record barcons and they are not cheap. Given that Centaur works as well as Record for 10 speed, I was going to go Centaur (maybe even Veloce) and brifters will be cheaper, especially when you factor in needing to get brake levers in addition to barcons.

Help disabuse me if I am benighted.

The Centaur brifters will perform well, feel familiar, and permit you to shift just fine on bumpy, twisty terrain, or slugging through mud. Sure there are things to like about barcons, but it's hard to see much disadvantage to ergopwer levers while you are commuting, or hitting a few dirt roads. OTOH, yeah, there are a few people who race cross with bar-end shifters -- some because that's what they have and some because they like them, but I promise there will be times you want to shift without taking a hand off the bars at all, and you're not likely to do any whole races with your hands perched at the ends of the drops.

We both know that Centaur levers are reliable. I dunno what Palincss's friend is doing, but how the heck does anybody actually brake a shift cable every 2k miles?

I built up a cross bike for my 14 (nearly 15) y/o daughter. She's not racing. She might well not ever race. Even though she's now heading from 5'8" to 5'9" whilst pushing 95 pounds. I wanted her to have something good that's easy, dependable, and flexible -- the levers are Campy 10 speed.

sadiqgill
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I have used both and ended up preferring the brifters.....less hand movement and more control. You can brake and shift at the same time without fiddling around...

Rueda Tropical
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Most of the images of Hugo Koblet I see show barcons on his race rig. You'll need a swiss watch as well though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_atrK-jBKJKY/TKDjgwqcVCI/AAAAAAAAM5s/W3WI2MzZ4Gw/s1600/koblet+real.jpg

http://ruedatropical.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tumblr_lba1p9kzJ11qz4xodo1_500.jpg

palincss
06-06-2012, 04:35 PM
The only advantages in barcons is that it lightens up the front end a bit and you can dump the whole cassette up or down which is kind of nice in cross. Also they are more simple mechanically.

There are other advantages as well.

- Since the front is friction, you are not confined to using only certain front derailleurs. You could, if you like, use the Campagnolo Racing T on a Shimano drive train, and if you like really small chain rings you could use a Shimano MTB front derailleur. Neither of these has a cable pull compatible with brifter indexing.

- Also, you can trim your front derailleur as fine as you like.

- What's more, you can be less attentive to maintaining absolutely perfectly adjusted rear derailleur cable tension: if the cable stretches slightly, you can slightly overshift the lever and it will still index.

- Finally, when your rear derailleur cable starts to fray (many thousands of miles later than it would with certain Shimano brifter units) the frayed strands will poke you in the finger and let you know long before the cable actually breaks that you've got a problem -- unlike Shimano brifters, where the cable will break with virtually no warning at all. And when the cable does break, your bar end shifter will not hopelessly jam and will not have to be replaced just because there's a broken chunk of cable stuck in in the mechanism.

straightegde
06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
There's no reason why you can't route the cables under the bar tape to the stem, as with brifters.

If you have a large frame with wide handlebars you may run out of cable length. I routed my wife's barcon under her mustache bars and there's just two inches of cable past the rear derailleur bolt.

Fixed
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
some crit racers used them back in the day too .
i think you would like brifters now cos i know you don't want to give away an advantage in a race .:banana:
cheers

false_Aest
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
best move to is choose
bacons
baked on a broiler pan so the fat dropps off and they get crunchy
then wipe some maple syrup on and let it crystalize in the heat.

its really the best un-bonking food ever.

as for parts on your bike.

i dunno what brifters are but I really like those integrated shifting systems. What does sram call em? Shifters?

DarkStar
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Bar-cons on the Litespeed commuter/touring, brifters on the Serotta, and DT shifters on the Goodrich. As far as maintenance is concerned, the DT shifter is the easiest to deal with.

palincss
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
If you have a large frame with wide handlebars you may run out of cable length. I routed my wife's barcon under her mustache bars and there's just two inches of cable past the rear derailleur bolt.

It's common to use tandem cables when you're doing this.

TMB
06-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Happy too....but that was the 70's.

Much has changed.

You still sit on the bike and turn the pedals, right?

What has changed?

Louis
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
You still sit on the bike and turn the pedals, right?

What has changed?

I have seen the future:

http://members.westnet.com.au/rjharrop/treadle%20bike/treadle%20drive.jpg

redir
06-07-2012, 07:26 AM
There are other advantages as well.

- Since the front is friction, you are not confined to using only certain front derailleurs. You could, if you like, use the Campagnolo Racing T on a Shimano drive train, and if you like really small chain rings you could use a Shimano MTB front derailleur. Neither of these has a cable pull compatible with brifter indexing.

- Also, you can trim your front derailleur as fine as you like.

- What's more, you can be less attentive to maintaining absolutely perfectly adjusted rear derailleur cable tension: if the cable stretches slightly, you can slightly overshift the lever and it will still index.

- Finally, when your rear derailleur cable starts to fray (many thousands of miles later than it would with certain Shimano brifter units) the frayed strands will poke you in the finger and let you know long before the cable actually breaks that you've got a problem -- unlike Shimano brifters, where the cable will break with virtually no warning at all. And when the cable does break, your bar end shifter will not hopelessly jam and will not have to be replaced just because there's a broken chunk of cable stuck in in the mechanism.

Yeah they are much more versatile that's for sure. Also you can use any cassette as long as it matches your chain within reason too. When I raced cross with them I used just one barcon for the rear, single ring up front, and I had both Shimano and Campy wheels in either 8 or 9-speed.

So if cheap and versatile is what you are after than go with barcons.

flydhest
06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
So, another question. People said that 10-speed is different for barcons. SOMA sells Rivendell shifters. Both they and Rivendell (see below) assert that these will work with any derailleur/cassette except SRAM 9 speed MTB setups. I am tempted to try it with 10-speed unless someone knows that it doesn't work.

OK, I just realized I didn't ask a question. Anyone know if the claims are true? I know one oughtn't ask a barber if you need a haircut, and if someone is selling something, they have an incentive to tell you the best, hence the question for this group.

http://store.somafab.com/rivendell-silver-bar-end-shifters.html
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh1no.htm

Ray
06-08-2012, 08:42 AM
So, another question. People said that 10-speed is different for barcons. SOMA sells Rivendell shifters. Both they and Rivendell (see below) assert that these will work with any derailleur/cassette except SRAM 9 speed MTB setups. I am tempted to try it with 10-speed unless someone knows that it doesn't work.

OK, I just realized I didn't ask a question. Anyone know if the claims are true? I know one oughtn't ask a barber if you need a haircut, and if someone is selling something, they have an incentive to tell you the best, hence the question for this group.

I'm not sure about the cable pull, but if Soma and Riv both say they pull enough cable, I'd tend to believe them. BUT, I wouldn't use a pure friction setup with 10 or 11 speeds. 9-speed is kind of borderline for friction, 7 or 8 are fine for friction. These modern cassette cogs aren't made to HOLD the chain like they were in the old days - they're specifically designed to GIVE IT UP easily for smooth shifting. And it works incredibly well with a precision index shifting setup (as long as its kept in adjustment). Friction shifting is not as precise a practice and its VERY easy to shift into a gear, feel like you're IN, hear zero rubbing, stand up to climb or sprint, and have the chain jump a gear. It happens very rarely with seven or eight, some with nine, and I'd guess quite a bit with 10 or 11 on the same sized hub.

I personally love barcons. I have barcons on three bikes and brifters on one and the ONLY downside to barcons is that you can't shift while standing very easily. I don't do this much, particularly now that I'm not riding as much, and barcons are more than fine. But I run 9 speeds on two of my bikes and I run indexed Shimano barcons on those, I run friction 8 speed on another and use Riv shifters on that one.

If you're running Campy, I assume its 10 or 11 speed and I wouldn't use the Riv shifters for that. If the Record barcons cost more than Centaur brifters, I'd go for the brifters.

-Ray

Ken Robb
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM

I think you will always get the straight scoop from the guys at Rivendell. My Riv shifters work great with 7 speed Shimano cassette. I have read differing opinions about how they work on 9 and 10 speed cassettes. Some think they are fine while others find the closer spacing of the cogs requires too much rider precision in the movement of the levers.

flydhest
06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Now, I am almost feeling a need to experiment for science's sake.

jr59
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Now, I am almost feeling a need to experiment for science's sake.

Please do, and report back! :)

dana_e
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I have wheels with nine and ten speeds

and dowbtube friction record levers (way old school)

works fine

GRAVELBIKE
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I was a die-hard barcon user for many years (decades, even). I now run integrated levers (aka, brifters), and prefer them over barcons for nearly every application.

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/06-08-2012-225x300.jpg
(http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1037)

That's my country/adventure bike which features a CampSRAMano 9s drivetrain.

fourflys
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
the only thing I'll say about barcons is rapid-rise rear derailure is the way to go if you get them... I had a Rivendell build with rapid-rise/barcons and really liked it... initially built my Casseroll with barcons/normal rise and just didn't like it as well... it sucks Shimano did away with rapid-rise (AFAIK)...

palincss
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM

They're friction. Damn good friction. They'll work with anything with a cable pull within reason. I guess that excludes the SRAM derailleurs with the very different from road cable pull (don't know the ratio, MTB is not my thing at all). They were originally made by SunTour, the Sprint downtube lever, mated to a Shimano bar end pod.

Whether you can make friction shifting work with 10 is another story. I have plenty of e-pals on the iBOB list who can friction shift 9 and 10. I myself do fine friction shifting Hyperglide 7 but get too many ghost shifts on Hyperglide 8.

flydhest
06-08-2012, 04:21 PM
palincss,
I think the websites for both Rivendell and SOMA say these are made by DiaCompe, not Shimano. There is a separate one where they have the pods that you can attach levers to.

palincss
06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I should have said "Shimano style" bar end shifter pods. The originals Rivendell sold under the name "SuperMix Shifters" were in fact NOS SunTour and genuine Shimano pods, but that was quite some time ago. When the supply of NOS SunTour Sprints ran out, they had DiaCompe make new ones to the same specs. Some will tell you the Simplex Retrofriction were better, I've never tried them, but the Sprints are by far the best friction shifters I've ever tried.

mtechnica
06-09-2012, 01:04 AM
You can brake and shift at the same time while having two hands on the bars if you have barcons. Right shifter shifts the rear, left hand can brake. It's pretty manageable and definitely superior to DT shifting IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to use good indexed ones. My experience is only with 8 speed ultegra bar ends though, which are superb.