PDA

View Full Version : Goof Q's...

xspace
09-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm buying a 10-sp gear set for a Fierte TI. Here are the choices I'm asked to make:

English or Italian Bottom bracket??

Braze-on or clamp-style front derailleur??

Huh???

Thanks for the help,

Hal

pale scotsman
09-12-2005, 09:43 PM
English and clamp on. Thank you and please pull forward...

PS - Please post a pic when you're done! :)

SoCalSteve
09-12-2005, 09:44 PM
English BB for sure...

It can be either a braze on with a seperate clamp or a clamp on with the right size clamp. To be safe, buy a braze on and find out what size diameter the seat tube is from Serotta. Then you can buy the proper sized clamp to go around the seat tube and clamp on to the braze on der.

Geez, I hope I didnt confuse you more...

Steve

PS: Just call or write James at Serotta, he will set you straight on the proper size.

aLexis
09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
68mm BB shell, 35mm der clamp

Dekonick
09-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Don't go braze on with clamp - may as well just go with proper clamp size.

nothing wrong with braze n clamp, but it doesn't work well with compact cranks if you ever go that route ('course you can always just then go to a compact front derailleur)

I have a braze on FD with the clamp and it doesnt work great with my FSA compact crankset but when I was using a clamp on der it was fine. I have no idea why the problem exists but it does. Somehow the braze on doesnt allow me to adjust the limit far enough...

xspace
09-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Okay, Got it. 35 mm clamp for the front derailleur (FSA SLK Mega-Exo compact crank) for which the stock Ultegra shifter SHOULD work fine, right? And English BB (which is I think the kind of BB that the Mega-Exo is compatible with out of the box...or maybe it's something completely different, I dunno, but it should work, right?)

Can you tell this is the first bike I've ever built?

While I'm at it, what's the most REASONABLY-PRICED field-serviceable (i.e. doesn't use some ultra-custom outer-space spoke that only a handful of shops in the world are qualified to service) dent-resistant (I'm a sloppy rider) wheelset?

Bontrager racelites? Shimano's? Some kinda Mavic? Sumthin' else?

Thanks,

Hal

saab2000
09-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Campagnolo Protons are good and user servicable.

Bruce Jacobs
09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Front derailleur for compact crank-Use it with the FSA SLK (50/34) and 10 speed Dura Ace.

xspace
09-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Only if you give me a good deal, Bruce.