PDA

View Full Version : arm coolers...

AngryScientist
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
along the lines of the SPF and black jersey thread, is anyone using "arm coolers" in the heat, and how are you liking them?

http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/415/10-7196-WHI-FORM.jpg

azrider
06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Nice. Subscribing to this to see how this pans out.

Was contemplating purchasing http://www.trisports.com/desoarmcosl.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/trisports_2210_654747911

54ny77
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
hey angry i too had a thread on this topic about a month ago. got myself a pair of lightweight pearl izumi arm covers, in white. they work great. also, while driving around trying to find an open bike shop, i went into a sporting goods store and randomly picked up a pair of ultralight black lycra basketball arm covers from nike. they are exactly like cycling arm covers, weigh next to nothing, and are great even at a sunny 75 degrees. best of all they were only about $20. i like these better than the cycling-specific ones. really, they are so ultralight and breathe well, they're perfect. at some point i'll hunt around for a pair of white ones.

AngryScientist
06-04-2012, 03:34 PM
cool.

one bit of motivation for me, is that i've been getting a wicked "glove tan", i have a very noticeable tan line at my glove intersection, and these would cut down on that sillyness.

54ny77
06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
too funny. i needed 'em becuase one day while out riding in the sun i forgot to wear sunblock, and my arm turned beet red. it hurt to holy hell. was going riding the next day and weather said another bright sunny day. no way i could have tolerated a few hours in the sun that next day.

problem solved. :)

cool.

one bit of motivation for me, is that i've been getting a wicked "glove tan", i have a very noticeable tan line at my glove intersection, and these would cut down on that sillyness.

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
These work on the same basis as wearing a wool/wicking jersey end your bibs. Taking the moisture away, and providing some evaporative cooling (although it is questionable if the evaporative cooling effect is bigger with a layer over your skin vs. bare skin).

Either way, if we extrapolate this trend, we will all be wearing full body skin suits all year round. The future is bright indeed.

Arms certainly get a lot of sun, but so does the back of your neck. So if you think by wearing these you can get away without sunscreen on those mid-day summer rides, think again. :)

FlashUNC
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
A good buddy I ride with uses them. Seems to like them a lot. He says they don't really add much to his heat build up, and keep him from getting burned on long days in the saddle.

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
cool.

that is so NOT pro. you should cherish and cultivate your glove tan. Even if it means going to tan in the winter, while wearing cycling gloves. How else will fellow cyclists identify you in street clothes?

67-59
06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Arms certainly get a lot of sun, but so does the back of your neck. So if you think by wearing these you can get away without sunscreen on those mid-day summer rides, think again. :)

Knees too. I ordered some arm coolers and expect them tomorrow. I know they won't eliminate the need for sunscreen, but I figure they'll at least cut down the sunscreen budget.

Are knee coolers next?

Fixed
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
What would the mummy wear ?:)

Cheers :)

eddief
06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
ordered some from Voler. pair one XL too long. pair two L right length, too tight.

on order, a pair from Pearl Izumi.

tannhauser
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah there was a thread a few weeks ago regarding this, however...

The DeSotos work but the fabric isn't super fine but hey we're hard men here. They do stretch and get a bit sheer, in contrast to...

The Crafts, which feel like, well, Crafts but simultaneously are very tight plus they don't stay up and they're too short. Nevertheless I like them.

The DeFeets I have are more like a cotton-y arm warmer rather than a sun blocker.

beungood
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I have Vitaligo (body attacks my pigment) and burn easily. Im considering them..

Dustin
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Love them for sunny San Diego riding. One less body part to slather sunscreen.

gone
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I use them - to a point. I'm OK with them up to about 85 degrees or so but above that I feel much warmer with them. It's hard to imagine riding in 95+ in them but I've seen people (including my wife) do it.

On a more positive note, I find them to be a very nice alternative to regular arm warmers when it's cool but not cold or under a jacket when it's that little bit cooler. Just another tool in the temperature regulation bag.

Bruce K
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM
+1 similar to gone.

At some point the fresh air with some sunscreen works best for me.

BK

Fiertetimestwo
06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
As a ginger haired freckle who somehow found himself born in Australia (rather than Scotland- where my complexion would be more in keeping with the climate) I wear them pretty well all the time in Spring/Summer. Never found them to add too much to the heat issue.

Actually thinking of getting a pair from (gasp!) Rapha for next Summer.

sw3759
06-05-2012, 04:51 AM
i am a big fan of arm coolers.tried several brands and just got a new pair from assos but have not tried them yet.been using the de soto and voler(sol skin i think) even at 100+ degrees,especially if your doing anything over 3 hours.not having to slather on sunblock seems like the pores less clogged but that just may be in my head.
never tired knee or leg coolers but they never seem to feel as "cooked" as my arms get after 4 hours in heat

AngryScientist
06-05-2012, 05:56 AM
well, on unrelated business i stopped my Campmor last night, and they had P.I. arm coolers on sale, so I bought a set. Will give them a run this weekend and see how i like them.

Ginger
06-05-2012, 06:28 AM
They're harder to remember than arm warmers.

And they don't really cool anything...but I don't burn much and I have very dry skin and I don't sweat much (yes, I overheat easily). So for me, they're more for commuting in the harsh Australian sun than staying cool.

I was surprised at how much different the sun feels here than it does in Michigan...or the US in general...not the heat or the humidity, but the sun. (that's what a good ozone hole will do for you I guess) On a day with a temperature and humidity that would find me in a tank top and shorts in Michigan, I'll have long sleeves and long pants on here just to protect my skin from cooking. So yeah, I wear the sunblock arm coolers even if they make me feel too hot, they do work better than sunscreen.

AngryScientist
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
just wanted to report back. arm coolers worked beautifully this weekend. it was pretty hot for most of my 130 mile ride, and i never felt overheated, or like the arm coverings were making me hotter. kept the sun exposure down too. i'm a fan.

fiamme red
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Before they came up with the name "arm coolers," I would ride all summer with Kucharik Coolmax white arm warmers. I still do, even on the hottest days. They work as well as any of the "arm coolers" that I have.

AngryScientist
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Before they came up with the name "arm coolers," I would ride all summer with Kucharik Coolmax white arm warmers. I still do, even on the hottest days. They work as well as any of the "arm coolers" that I have.

yea, i honestly never gave it any consideration until i was in the office the other day looking at my ridiculous "glove tan". of course it doesnt matter what they are called. Rapha calls them "arm screens" :banana:

brockd15
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a pair from Pearl Izumi and a cheap pair from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYCLING-ARM-WARMERS-COOLERS-9-COLOR-UPF50-/220697238074?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item3362949a3a#ht_635wt_1168). The PI were ok but thicker than I liked. I much prefer the ebay version. They worked well for all day rides in the summer sun, especially when spraying some water on them to help with the cooling effect.

tv_vt
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Have some Pearl Izumi ones that feel a bit warm. I'd say they're just white arm warmers. Don't think of wearing them on hot days. Maybe there are some lighter ones out there that don't make you overheat, but can't say the PI worked well for me.

T