PDA

View Full Version : A company not to do business with...

KidWok
06-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I run an event and regularly get cold-inquiries from potential vendors via email. As someone who use to be on the other end of sending out cold-inquiries, I make the point to at least respond to these. Got an inquiry from Alanic this morning and I responded:
Not interested. We prefer working with domestic companies, specifically in our region. Please do not contact me any further.
Thanks,
Tai

The person on the other end apparently didn't notice the last part of my message and responded:
Tai we are in 2012 not 1912
World is global and sometimes change is good.
Thanks and Regards,

I'm not normally the vindictive type, but seems like these guys are relatively new and are looking for some publicity...so I'll help them out a bit.

Tai

azrider
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I run an event and regularly get cold-inquiries from potential vendors via email. As someone who use to be on the other end of sending out cold-inquiries, I make the point to at least respond to these. Got an inquiry from Alanic this morning and I responded:
Not interested. We prefer working with domestic companies, specifically in our region. Please do not contact me any further.
Thanks,
Tai

The person on the other end apparently didn't notice the last part of my message and responded:
Tai we are in 2012 not 1912
World is global and sometimes change is good.
Thanks and Regards,

I'm not normally the vindictive type, but seems like these guys are relatively new and are looking for some publicity...so I'll help them out a bit.

Tai

subject: "a company 'not' to do business with"

Yet you're helping them out how?

4Rings6Stars
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM

I took that last part as sarcasm.

Can you give us more info a out this if you're going to bash the company? What kind of event...etc.

CaliFly
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM

I think he meant "helping" them with bad publicity.

KidWok
06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Maybe I'm having an off day...definitely went way out of my way to make a point.

As someone who used to cold-call and email people, I know that the bulk of the people who I contact won't even bother to respond. Those who do respond, I responded to thank them for their time, even if declined. Now that I get inquiries all the time, I make the point to look over the company and respond one way or the other. Getting that response back from the rep went struck a nerve with me and I'd probably be better off just letting it go.

Tai

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
eh, don't worry about it. you had already told them no, it is unnecessary for them to try to overcome your objection of wanting to do stuff locally. And even if they were still in the selling process, it was a crappy attempt to overcome your objection.

as I perceive it, it was a half hearted attempt to keep selling, but was a pretty douchey one... ie. calling you old fashioned.

Not sure where they were, mexico? china? india?

either way, I don't think they wronged you other than calling you old fashioned. but their response lacked class.

martinrjensen
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Actually, I kind of agree that we do live in a global world now. I bought a frame on eBay from a guy in CA, The handlebars came from France and the groupset from OR. Various other parts from Hong Kong. Tires from England
EDIT: I agree with your desire to buy locally though. Kinds sounds like I am contrdicting myself and I can see both sides.

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Actually, I kind of agree that we do live in a global world now. I bought a frame on eBay from a guy in CA, The handlebars came from France and the groupset from OR. Various other parts from Hong Kong. Tires from England

I don't think the OP is suggesting that we don't. For his event, he has a preference for local vendors. This could be to support the local economy, because doing business in person is easier for him than doing business by email/phone with a time difference, because he prefers to make relationships with vendors rather than seek out the lowest possible bidder.

Whatever the reason, "you're old fashioned and the world is global now" is not a compelling way to convince him to do business with a far away vendor.

redir
06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
The 'we live in a global world' attitude had come back to bite a lot of people in the arse. It works on paper for the bean counters and the CEO's trying to please short term profits for share holders but for the people in the field working it's a different story all too often.

And then of course sometimes it works great.

But regardless any customer service department that behaves like that really ought to think about retooling their communications for better business.

torquer
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I took that last part as sarcasm.

I always confuse sarcasm and irony, and maybe the company did, too:
"alanic: Something that one might mistake for irony, but is actually not."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=alanic

KidWok
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
@MattTruck...They're in Sydney, AUS...dunno where the stuff is made.

@4Rings6Stars...Six-day ride along the Oregon coast called The People's Coast Classic...today won't go down as one of the best days that I've represented it, but since you asked.

Irony: Jerseys are on short list of things to green up. We're already packing out recyclable materials, using compostable wares, local vendors/produce, etc. Current jersey vendor is a domestic company in our business region and is fabulous in every which way except one...product is manufactured overseas. Now I just need to convince the powers that be that we should pay a bit more to the local company that manufactures domestically with a solar-powered facility. If someone could put a (B99) biodiesel refueling point somewhere along the Oregon coast, that would take care of our event vehicles burning a ton of fossil fuel.

Tai

azrider
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Nah..at that point what did they guy have to lose? If the exchange had happended to me the way it did to the OP, I doubt I would have taken it so personally. If anything, he (sales guy) has opened up the door to at least try and engage in conversation the next time he calls: "hey about our last correspondence......", or "I just reread what I wrote and wanted to call you back to clarify.......", something like that just to open the door and start a conversation.

If you truly don't want to hear about what the guy has to offer, and know deep down that you aren't going to use him before he even has a chance to give you his pitch, then don't send anything back at all.

I've been on both sides of the coin: as salesman, and one who managed a list of venors and was sold to constantly. Different approaches such as that stick out in my mind and would make me pick up the phone. Then again, I guess i'm a little more inquisitive than most. (or is it then?)

redir
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I wish I could remember things that I read but on the contrary when a company pisses off a customer it has great repercussions especially in this day and age of social media. One person tells 5 people who tell 20 people who tell 100 people who tell 2500 people who tell 44,000 people and so on. Think of the famous Airline Youtube guitar destruction video.

rwsaunders
06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I wish I could remember things that I read but on the contrary when a company pisses off a customer it has great repercussions especially in this day and age of social media. One person tells 5 people who tell 20 people who tell 100 people who tell 2500 people who tell 44,000 people and so on. Think of the famous Airline Youtube guitar destruction video.

+1...going through an issue with my insurance agency right now. Had to gomtomthe district manager, but I'm not shy.

DHallerman
06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
That is true, basically.

However, the initial post did have me look up Alanic, and I had never heard of them before.

Now in this case, there's nothing I want to buy from them. But still, got my attention.

rugbysecondrow
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
The older I get, the more I want to support local/regional/national businesses. From frames to shoes to beer to produce, I like to stay local. The more world expands, the more I want mine to contract some.

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM

. . . going viral is all about.

For me, such a reply would also make me just shake my head. There were far more polite and diplomatic ways to say thanks for reading, sorry you're not interested, we're always ready to help you if you need us in the future.

Something like THAT would make me file their name away and remember it later if only because such decency and diplomacy seems to be so uncommon these days.

BBD

Louis
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
What's so hard about them saying something like "We understand your policy. However, if that should ever change, please keep us in mind. We're proud of our products and are sure they would help improve your event." And leave it at that.

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Exactly!

What's so hard about them saying something like "We understand your policy. However, if that should ever change, please keep us in mind. We're proud of our products and are sure they would help improve your event." And leave it at that.

1centaur
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
+2 to Louis and BBD.

It's the 2012 vs. 1912 comment that's really galling. It's saying, "I'm hip and now, what are you Grandad?" layered with the unintentional irony that the more hip and now you are the more going local is seen as hip and now, whereas going global is so 2003. The guys reads like he's under 30 and clearly naive about the sales process, or perhaps in a bad mood and utterly indifferent to that company's prospects with this client.

martinrjensen
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I agree, it wasn't a good way for them to respond.I don't think the OP is suggesting that we don't. For his event, he has a preference for local vendors. This could be to support the local economy, because doing business in person is easier for him than doing business by email/phone with a time difference, because he prefers to make relationships with vendors rather than seek out the lowest possible bidder.

Whatever the reason, "you're old fashioned and the world is global now" is not a compelling way to convince him to do business with a far away vendor.

KidWok
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Not my best moment today...took a step back and realized the Alanic rep wasn't the main source of my grumpiness even though I unloaded on the situation.

While I was going out of my way to make a point, I did send a relatively politely worded complaint back to the rep and CC'ed the company's general email address. The company did respond that they were forwarding the matter to the rep's manager. I've worked with several jersey vendors now and a couple have cared less about CS issues. In fairness to the Alanic, it was a good resolution to the matter. That they cared enough to let me know they handled the matter is a good reason to do business with them...no sarcasm expressed or intended.

Regardless of my reasons for doing business a certain way or the rep's response, I should have handled myself better. Some personal stuff has got me on the edge and I unloaded both barrels on the rep/company. For all I know, the rep has personal stuff that's got him on edge and I should've be more compassionate. My apologies for making a scene out of it.

Tai

Louis
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I decided quite a while ago that compared to caring for others and being empathic, it's way easier to be mean and care only about yourself. Unfortunately, I'm just not very good at it.

Next time something like that happens you might try the meanie approach - there's much less guilt. :butt:

(I am just kidding.)

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 05:44 AM
. . . I've done the same in the past. A short note in the vein of "Look, I really don't want to get this guy fired. He just needs to know this ain't quite the right way to get me to come back. Live and learn."

In my professional career I've always appreciated it if there's a problem with my performance that somebody tell me so I can correct it. This guy might just need the same thing.

BBD

redir
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
The older I get, the more I want to support local/regional/national businesses. From frames to shoes to beer to produce, I like to stay local. The more world expands, the more I want mine to contract some.

Eventually energy prices are going to bring it all back home too. If we are left with a bunch of globalists in our society then we won't know how to feed our selves ;)

tch
06-05-2012, 07:46 AM
It's the 2012 vs. 1912 comment that's really galling. It's saying, "I'm hip and now, what are you Grandad?" layered with the unintentional irony that the more hip and now you are the more going local is seen as hip and now, whereas going global is so 2003. The guys reads like he's under 30 and clearly naive about the sales process, or perhaps in a bad mood and utterly indifferent to that company's prospects with this client.
I'm on with this. A good friend of mine happens to be VERY up-to-date with all things technological. He began creating websites and writing code when it was a nascent field. He's also 50 and it shows. In the recession his own small company had to fold. Now, he can't find a job. He goes in to interview and the guys at the company are 20-30 year olds and they patronize him like he's from two centuries ago. One even called him grandpa. Most don't do anything quite so illegal, but the attitude is there. It's beyond "galling".

Chance
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks,
Tai

Can see how this can evolve poorly. While their response was inappropriate, your reply was worded in a way that can easily offend some overly-sensitive people. The tone of “don’t contact me any further” or anything similar is (in my opinion) unnecessary if the option to not reply at all was also available. For some people it’s drawing a line in the sand and asking for conflict. Not in sales myself but would rather have a company not respond at all than send me a short note stating not to contact them again. The word “please” in front doesn’t remove the bossy and or threatening undertone that comes across in giving them an order. Some sensitive people would see this as a little rude and immediately escalate.

The age thing seems insignificant by comparison to me. Was probably just a tool used for venting.