PDA

View Full Version : black jerseys?

tch
06-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Instinctively, I avoid black (or dark-colored) jerseys in the summertime. It seems "obvious" to me that black will absorb more sun and feel hotter. However, I note that a large number of lightweight, summer jerseys are dark -- or even black -- and I'm beginning to wonder: does it matter?

It's sometimes hard to find light jerseys, they get more obviously dirty sooner, and I like some designs with darker, more saturated colors....so should I just go ahead and buy some dark, or even black, jerseys? Anyone have real experience to guide me? Your own temperature assessments? Do you feel dark or black jerseys are hotter? (temperature, that is!)

William
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Well, I can say for sure that black color jerseys feel warmer on sunny Winter days. ..at least when you stop and are standing in the sun.

William

Grant McLean
06-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Do you wear black shorts?

In my experience, black fabric transmits some heat to you when
stationary in the sun, but once moving, it's fine.

-g

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't know the answer, but I think you should buy some and report back to us.

Plenty of pro teams have worn black and/or dark colored jerseys over the years.

The physics seem pretty unassailable, the black/darker colors will absorb more light... whether it makes that much difference when you're cruising at 15-25 mph and sweating, I do not know.

FlashUNC
06-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I know down South, it reaches a certain point that it doesn't matter what you're wearing. Its just so hot you sweat whether you're riding in all black, or naked.

I tend to wear brighter colors on the bike, though, simply so I'll be more easily spotted by drivers.

William
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, I could tell the difference when I wore the dreaded old OSU manhole cover jersey. When the Sun would come out from behind the clouds I could feel it warm up on my shoulders and back.

William

tv_vt
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I have black Craft and Louis Garneau jerseys. They're both really comfortable and plenty cool in summer. Both are full zip, which helps, too. I'm more concerned with visibility. I'd wear them a lot more if I wasn't a bit paranoid about being seen.

As an aside, though, I think the few times car drivers have given me trouble, they could see me fine. They were just angry or whatever. Color of jersey had nothing to do with it...

fatallightning
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Nicer jerseys use a material called Coldblack, http://www.coldblack.ch/index.php?id=6

Ken Robb
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I think they feel hotter to me and they certainly don't help a rider's visibility to other traffic.

Steve in SLO
06-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Black radiates more heat than white, so for temps below 98.6*, that would mitigate its absorbance of heat.

Hawker
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I wanted a black jersey last year just because I liked the looks. However, I was driving one day on one of my regular bike routes and noticed (or rather didn't notice) a cyclist fifty yards ahead of me who was riding on a shady part of the road. Frankly, he was almost invisible until I got very close to him.

At that point I decided not to purchase a black jersey.

johnmdesigner
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
If its 100% Polyester you are basically wrapping yourself in a breathable hefty bag anyway.
Get the color you like. It makes no difference.
Remember what Grant once said: The only important thing in cycling is how fabulous you look in the clothes and shoes.:p

MattTuck
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
For what it is worth, if you are competitive, you should get a red jersey.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0518_050518_redsports.html

if you want to be seen, become a farnese vini fanboy. :cool::cool::cool::cool: put on your sunglasses please, lest your retinas be burned. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575102_10151632944527281_83391132280_9656775_22602 9714_n.jpg

rpm
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
When riding, black jerseys don't show one's gut or love handles as much as lighter jerseys do. You may get hit by somebody who doesn't see you, but at least you'll look svelte as you go into the ambulance!

bluesea
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
coldblack® prevents textiles from heating up as much...

Oh well, would have been cool in more ways than one, if in the name of fashion it defied the laws of nature.

Ken Robb
06-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Black radiates more heat than white, so for temps below 98.6*, that would mitigate its absorbance of heat.

I'm no engineer but while black radiates more heat it also absorbs more solar energy so my guess is when the temperature of the heat to be radiated is greater than than the surrounding air (500F fins on a motorcycle engine) black is more efficient than silver and so keeps internal cooler. OTOH if the solar load and/or ambient air temp is greater than the item wrapped in black (98.6F human body) a black garment would be hotter than a white garment because the black shirt would absorb more heat than it radiated.

giverdada
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
my lady recently got me a descente jersey in coldblack (by dupont?). i was trying it out the other day and, i must say, in the setting sun: my arms, uncovered and with some sunscreen on, were noticeably warmer than my torso with the black jersey on. same light source and angle and all of that. warm arms, cool body. awesome. i have yet to try the thing in high noon sunshine, but it seems to work.

of course, other features of clothing are worth considering, like visibility to others, or the hiding of love handles...

n.

pdmtong
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
The color black is very slimming ...

I have black jerseys and white jerseys...what seems to matter more to me is the material and amount of mesh. full zip for sure on the hottest days.

as someone else mentioned, at some point, it's just hot. no matter what you are wearing

Seramount
06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
the majority of my jerseys are black...

I look marvelous in them and they don't feel any hotter than the white ones.

the bar tape, downtube panels, and fork are white for visibility to motorists.

Onno
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would want to give up the visibility of a bright color when buying a cycling jersey or jacket. My wife bought me a lovely black cycling jacket a few years ago, and I eventually had to tell her that I didn't feel safe wearing it.

Bob Loblaw
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Part of it depends on where you ride, too. Black absorbs light energy, not just any old heat energy, so if there's a dense tree canopy where you normally ride, color is less of an issue for comfort. I wear a black kit here in rural CT that would cook me on my annual jaunt to Catalina Island.

BL

54ny77
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
BINGO!

:banana:

Me in white = people run indoors screaming, "Oh my eyes! My eyes!"

The color black is very slimming ...

Gummee
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Someone told me that the Army did a study on black vs colors and determined that above 4mph its irrelevant. IDK about that. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

...and my google-fu is weak today so I can't find the study to link to. Sorry

M

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 04:58 PM
. . . Its just so hot you sweat whether you're riding in all black, or naked.

. . . but you have done comparative testing in the field? :D

BBD

pdmtong
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I never got all these "I need to be seen comments" until I started visiting my brother who moved to new hampshire not far from IFs new location. YIKES...talk about a wake up call to riding in other places. soe of those roads there is just no way i would be riding unless I was lit up like a xmas tree.

Out where I am the visibility is just better, so I can afford to be a slave to fashion...pluse there are so many other people riding its not like seeing me is a surprise (assumign they see me)

rustychisel
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Shirley it's about the quality of the jersey, too, hmmm?

My Rapha Team Sharp jersey is black but very comfortable. Over 35ºC it's hot and that's all there is to it. The point about visibility in shade or dappled cover is most valid when I riding in the Adelaide Hills, though - lots of narrow twisting roads with overhanging trees

Hawker
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Shirley it's about the quality of the jersey, too, hmmm?

My Rapha Team Sharp jersey is black but very comfortable. Over 35ºC it's hot and that's all there is to it. The point about visibility in shade or dappled cover is most valid when I riding in the Adelaide Hills, though - lots of narrow twisting roads with overhanging trees

And don't call me Shirley. Ba-da-bum.

tannhauser
06-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Do you wear black shorts?

In my experience, black fabric transmits some heat to you when
stationary in the sun, but once moving, it's fine.

-g

Yes, but going up a vertical sun-exposed climb is like being stationary!

FlashUNC
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
. . . but you have done comparative testing in the field? :D

BBD

There was that one time...

But seriously, once you feel the heat baking you from the road underneath, it really doesn't matter what you're wearing or not wearing. Once its hot enough, color really is irrelevant, its more about the weight of the fabric you're wearing.

false_Aest
06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Didn't Cervelo and Sky both do some testing on this and determine that they needed to change their jerseys when it came time for summer sunny races?

I don't feel a difference with a black or white jersey at a steady clip but it seems like a darker jersey does contribute to the pain when I'm headed uphill with no real wind.

That said, nothing is more baller than rolling up to a summit rest area with easily visible salt crystals on your shoulders and back. . . (so I tell myself)

bheight1
06-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Interestingly, 95% of my rides in the sweltering days of Summer are finished before 11 am or start at 6 pm--when sun is not directly overhead.

eippo1
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't really feel a difference, even in my old Collstrop jersey. I've also found that there is no substitute for a light when dealing with tree shadows in NE. The actual color doesn't make any difference when you're in full shadow and the driver is still in the sunlight.

tch
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
...for all the responses. Helpful.

On another note, I'm not convinced that light/bright colors help driver visibility. Having focused on this as both rider and driver, I'm not positive about color. Pattern and movement seems to be at least as important.

In the fall, I actually moved to a black vest, because my wife followed me for a while in the car last year and my "high visibility" yellow one melded with the fall foliage. Black is an unnatural color in autumn and stands out.
YMMV