PDA

View Full Version : Travel to France Q&A . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I have the Q’s . . . Hopefully some of you have A’s!

Money . . . Better to get some Francs here or wait until I get over there? If here, then where locally? Any guidelines on how much to get?

Electrical Adapters . . . Do I just need a plug adapter or some special piece of equipment? Any tips on how to make it all work as conveniently as possible, especially the laptop if I take it.

Cell Phone . . . Will my Verizon Phone work over there? If it will—or can be made to—any personal stories of outrageous charges that might make it worthwhile to not even bother?

Tipping . . . Do customs differ enough over there that I need to be aware of it? If know in advance to grease the right palm will add a lot of convenience and prevent a lot of bother , then I’d like to know in advance.

And the big one . . . tipping the guides! . . . The tour company (naturally) recommends tipping the guides (I think there will be two) 5-10% of the trip cost. Considering there are so far 15 in the group, that much from each of us would add up to a pile of cash for these guys. Do the tour companies really pay these guys so little that they depend mainly on tips to survive? If so, then it is what it is, and I’ll do my best for them—especially in view of exemplary service.

So what’s the right amount? Any experiences of yours that would teach me some valuable lessons? And how to do it? The tour company recommends cash, but I’m very wary of carrying that much throughout the trip to give to them at the end.

Thanks to all for any advice you can offer!

BBD

crownjewelwl
06-04-2012, 08:32 AM
1. France uses funny money i.e., euros...best to use local atm when you land...not as convenient as having some on you before you get there, but the exchange rate used by banks isnt as good...DO NOT use one of those currency booths at the airports
2. You need an adapter...you can get a pretty cheap universal one at any office supply or electronics store or amazon...one and done
3. Depends on what kind of phone you have...some VZ phones are global, some are not...if you're phone is global, roaming is still pricey...you also need to make sure your account is set up for global roaming...they run your credit again, etc.

AngryScientist
06-04-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Money.

Cant answer the paper cash question, but when i'm out of the country, i use my credit card (Amex) as much as possible. They usually have favorable exchange rates. Speaking of which, if you're going to do that, call your credit card company now, and confirm that you can use it in France, and also alert them that you will be doing so, so their fraud department knows not to raise any red flags with unusual charges.

maxn
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
money: usually best to use ATMs over here. Talk to your bank first -- i think in some cases you need to give them a heads up. They can tell you which networks they support, too.

Electrical: *most* things will only need a plug adapter. For electronics, almost everything can take 100-220, but it will be written on the adapter. Hair driers will explode.

Cell phone. I think it depends what protocol your phone uses. I don't think there is much CDMA here... all GSM. What phone do you have?

Tipping: In tourist areas, some restaurants have gotten accustomed to getting tipped by Americans. However, even waiters get health care etc here so they are not dependent on tips to survive. No idea on the guides though -- sorry!

youngman
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't think your Verizon phone will work over there as you are using a CDMA phone and their network is a form of GSM. Different wireless technologies.

maxn
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
p.s. I would check the fine print on using a credit card over here. I would never use my run of the mill Chase Visa over here: terrible rates + ridiculous per transaction fees. Amex is probably better

Liv2RideHard
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Some answers...

Get euros at the airport from the ATM when you land. What I always do. Do not use the currency exchange booths or convert at your bank before you go. Too many fees. I always carry several hundy euros, even when on the bike over there. I tend to pay for everything in cash anyway...to avoid foreign transaction fees. If you pay with your credit cards, take into account foreign transaction fees. They can really add up if your cc has one of 2 or 3%.

Notify your bank and your credit cards when and where you will be traveling so the fraud dept doesn't shut you down. I always carry my ATM card over there and at least 2 other cc's (amex and visa). Good to carry different cards since not all cards are accepted everywhere.

Cell phone...assuming you have a newer phone, it should be a world phone which is what you need. add an international calling plan to your phone before you depart. You get a break on the minute charge. My att international plan is like $5 a month. Limit phone calls...it adds up. Use only free wi-fi if you have a smart phone. Turn off your data before you land so your data does not roam (VERY pricey). If you text, but international texting in bulk before you leave and track how many you use so as not to go over.

I tip if service warrants. It's not like here where the more tables they flip the more tips they get. Over there, they make more so they do not depend on the tips as their primary wage. I always tip service that cleans my rooms wherever I am staying.

Tip the guides depending on how satisfied you are and how far they go to make sure you are happy. I have never used tours over there so this will have to be dependent on what they do to make you happy.

If you are renting a bike...go over it with a fine tooth comb before you mount it. Check everything. Hopefully you are bringing your bike though!

Hope some of this helps. Have an awesome time. I just got back from Italy and am already thinking about my next trip...

Liv2RideHard
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
You will need one since European is 220 volts and the sockets are different. radio shack will have what you need. I travel with a few just in case I run into something out of the ordinary...which I have.

Cheers

zap
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Money. We used our Cap 1 debit card. No atm fees and the exchange rate was the best. Get money when you land and take out more as needed during your trip. Lots of sticky fingers in Paris and other big cities.

Credit card. Take one (I found Visa to be the best but AMEX good too) with you and call your card firm to let them know that you are in France. Note your card will not work in many card readers. Europe has moved on in terms of security technology so if your cc does not work (in the card reader), human intervention is needed.

Phone. Get a Verizon loaner phone if you don't have a global phone. You will have roaming charges.

Get a plug adaptor. Your Verizon loaner phone will have a kit. You might be able to use that. Check your laptop to see if you need a converter. For example, an iPad does not.

Tips. Not at restaurants-anywhere. Guides, yes.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

goonster
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Money . . . Better to get some Francs
Francs . . . you crack me up. Like everybody else said, use ATM's.

Electrical Adapters . . . Do I just need a plug adapter or some special piece of equipment?
Almost certainly just a plug adapter. Check your power supplies for a 110-220V notation, in which case you don't need a voltage converter. I travel to the 220V world frequently, and have not owned a converter since 1984.

Tipping . . . Do customs differ enough over there that I need to be aware of it?
It is not a cardinal sin not to tip in restaurants, and nobody will spit in your food just because you don't, however it is customary to round up a few Euros for good service, e.g. round 42.25 to 44 or 45. State the total amount when presenting payment. This is a "real" tip, even a few Euros are appreciated, and there is no fixed percentage expected.

Credit Cards
You didn't ask but, many places in Europe don't accept credit cards that don't have the RFID "signature" chip. These include the ticket vending machines in the French train stations, and many supermarket checkout registers. Almost no U.S. banks issue this type of card. Amex seems to work many places that regular Visa/MC don't, and most restaurants, hotels and staffed ticket booths are OK with normal cards. The bottom line is that a Visa/MC sticker on the door of an establishment does not guarantee your card will work there. Carry backup cash, even if you expect to pay with a credit or debit card.

djg
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Francs . . . you crack me up. Like everybody else said, use ATM's.

Almost certainly just a plug adapter. Check your power supplies for a 110-220V notation, in which case you don't need a voltage converter. I travel to the 220V world frequently, and have not owned a converter since 1984.

It is not a cardinal sin not to tip in restaurants, and nobody will spit in your food just because you don't, however it is customary to round up a few Euros for good service, e.g. round 42.25 to 44 or 45. State the total amount when presenting payment. This is a "real" tip, even a few Euros are appreciated, and there is no fixed percentage expected.

Credit Cards
You didn't ask but, many places in Europe don't accept credit cards that don't have the RFID "signature" chip. These include the ticket vending machines in the French train stations, and many supermarket checkout registers. Almost no U.S. banks issue this type of card. Amex seems to work many places that regular Visa/MC don't, and most restaurants, hotels and staffed ticket booths are OK with normal cards. The bottom line is that a Visa/MC sticker on the door of an establishment does not guarantee your card will work there. Carry backup cash, even if you expect to pay with a credit or debit card.

We're on our way too, in early July. I'd add something to the cc advice: find out which cards charge which fees -- some are just plain cheaper to use abroad. And it might pay to notify your cc company that you are going -- should be a non-issue, but we actually had an online SNCF charge fail to go through the first time because the bank's computer basically said ***. BTW, if you are buying train tickets while here, you might want to do a search on the better web sites as, for example, SNCF appears to price discriminate based on country of origin -- the US site is easy to use, but seems to charge more for every ticket they have. If you are buying once you're over there it's a non-issue, but if you want, say, TGV tickets at a popular time, you might want to get them in advance.

By the way, slightly off-topic, but if anybody is getting passports that need to be done in-person (as, say, if you are getting them for kids for the first time), do it way the eff early. By the time we went this spring, most places were booked 2 months out if one wanted an appointment, and going to one of the PO centers that accepts walk-ins, on a weekend, made for a very long day.

joep2517
06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
RE: Money.

Cant answer the paper cash question, but when i'm out of the country, i use my credit card (Amex) as much as possible. They usually have favorable exchange rates. Speaking of which, if you're going to do that, call your credit card company now, and confirm that you can use it in France, and also alert them that you will be doing so, so their fraud department knows not to raise any red flags with unusual charges.

This is great advice. I work in the banking industry and get calls every so often asking why transactions were rejected. It is just smart business to warn your bank and/or credit card company that you will be travelling. It may make life a little less stressful while in France.

rccardr
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
While I would avoid the currency exchange place in the airport for cash, they now sell the 'chip cards' that can be pre-loaded and used in automated machines that do not accept US-style credit cards. This was a problem for us last year in France- had a hard time buying gas/diesel, had to find a place with a live attendant. Also a couple of stores we went into couldn't make the AmEx or Cap1 work on their machines, but mostly we used cash anyway. Gas was the worst, and tolls. This year we'll get a chip card and put $150 on it just for those transactions.

johnmdesigner
06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Get a phrase book and learn how to say "please" and "thank you". It will take you about an hour of study (you have several on the plane going over). Being able to order a beer and your food in French will go a long way with your server.
They might make you a French National Treasure if you wear that zebra suit.:p

velotel
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
What I do for money when I travel stateside is use xe trading to EFT money into my son's account et voilà I have cash. It's far and away the cheapest way to move money from one currency to another. Thus if you know someone in France you trust, you just use xe to EFT money into their account then get the cash when your here. Been considering looking into opening account with one of the on-line banks but haven't done that yet

zap
06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Gas was the worst, and tolls.

Ha.

Tolls in France were inconsistent. The first few tolls we went through, the card readers would accept my visa. The last one (to Aix), well, I thought between the euro's we had and the cc we would be ok. Well, the toll was 90 cents and as luck would have it, we didn't have enough change. After all that shopping and we didn't have enough change......well, obviously that reader also would not accept my cc.

We hit the help button and watched (in the rear view mirror) the line of cars grow ever larger.

C'est la vie.

Joel
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
In addition to the good advice already out - your other new best friend will be Skype.

If you're an iPhone user you can easily set it up to Skype from anywhere you have a wifi connection.

It's pretty straight forward - my wife - who is not technologically oriented followed the instructions and is having no problem staying in touch from her various destinations in Europe.

Feel free to PM if you want me to send the step by step directions - don't want to clog up the bandwidth here...

And have FUN!!!!

twangston73
06-04-2012, 02:11 PM
In addition to all the other good advice...

US bank fees for buying euros are a bit heavy but i always like to have a small amount of euros on hand when i land to handle cabs and day 1 stuff. Perhaps i am overly cautious but am not a fan of trying to track down cash or an atm in an airport.

The note about credit cards compatibility. Word has it that certain automated or attendent-less services will not take US style signature credit cards now that much of europe has moved to chip and pin style cards. I was able to get a chip and pin card from Wells Fargo. I have not run into major problems but others have.

Restaurant tipping - waiters do not seem to expect much more than a small "round up", but i usually do a bit more if service warrants.

572cv
06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Miscellaneous experience based thoughts, BBD....

I use my ATM card from my bank more than anything. I tell the bank ahead that it is going to be used in France. But do note that there is a limit to how much you can get in a day. I think it might be 300 Euros, so plan accordingly.

US credit cards or atm cards don't have the chip that European cards have, so they don't work in a lot of situations, like gas pumps or toll booths, so you need to carry some cash.

If you are only bringing your computer or tablet and phone and chargers for these, and not a bunch of electronic gear, these kind of chargers don't need anything more than the plug adapter, not a whole converter. just check the specs and see if it says 110/220 or something like that. They are intended to be universal. Garmin, for example, ships their edge series with the plug adapter for the charger already included.

American Express is my cc card of choice there, because they have v. good customer service, and people know that. I think they have the best protection for foreign use.

When you go into a shop or any place of business, make eye contact with the proprietor, and say Bon Jour. It is the protocol. You can then say you regret very much that you do not speak French, but that initial good manners gesture will earn you good service.

Bonne Promenade, Dave!

Tom
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Take just a little cash, as was said, so you don't have to hunt down an ATM when you stumble off the plane all sleepy, drunk or hung over. It is easier once you're settled to get money.

Credit cards will kick you around with foreign transaction fees unless you made a wise choice of providers.

I would have gotten screwed if I hadn't read this thread, I was unaware that my good ol' murrican visa would fail me unless I asked the provider if it'd work and get a newer version if necessary.

Do tell the provider what you're up to. They are hurting for cash and need to know they can go to your house and clean it out. Seriously, we've had one card get blocked when the provider was jealous we were in France. They called the house to demand an explanation and naturally we didn't get the message until we got back. We just used the other one and they apparently didn't care if I got defrauded, only if my wife did.

Cell phones will beat you like a rented mule if they work. Roaming data is insanely expensive, emails and other harmless things will nail you awful unless you enable wifi, but be careful. $20 a meg and all it takes is some numby sending you a cool picture of their 4 year old with birthday cake frosting smeared all over it. At least the kid was ugly and the frosting was an improvement. Anyway, I know a Droid phone that bricked using open wifi... was that place that had a sign "We fix cellphones" down the block any reason? Nahhhhh..... (US Virgin Islands, BTW)

jds108
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Regarding electrical: If you're just getting a little $10 plug adapter, then make sure that everything you're bringing is 220v compatible.

ipads, cell phones, digital camera battery chargers, and laptops are all OK as they have little voltage transformers. My Sonicaire toothbrush wasn't so fortunate. I broke it by taking it to the UK and plugging it in there.

rbtmcardle
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
snip.... BTW, if you are buying train tickets while here, you might want to do a search on the better web sites as, for example, SNCF appears to price discriminate based on country of origin -- the US site is easy to use, but seems to charge more for every ticket they have. If you are buying once you're over there it's a non-issue, but if you want, say, TGV tickets at a popular time, you might want to get them in advance....snip

YES.. this is very true.. I saved almost $80 each for my son and I buying the exact same ticket from the french website rather than the US website.. same company, different storefronts.. check this website out.. http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm

I think someone here at Paceline suggested it to me!

In addition.. be aware, many ATMS / Kiosks away from Airports only accept ATM/Debit/Credit Cards with the RF chip in them.. none of my cards would work to purchase local train tickets etc..

FTR - I was the victim of a pickpocket in Paris.. I caught him red handed and saved my wallet... was an interesting scene on the train as we rode together holding the same pole, after he just tried to Rob me.. I'd go back in a heartbeat though, and even after many many trips to Europe.. it always pays to be vigilant.

Dont wear Jeans and Sneakers, or fancy walking shoes, do be confident when you walk around and you will be fine.

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 05:38 PM
. . . for all the advice so far.

Electrical: Both me Macbook charger and iPod charger from Phillips say “Input: 100-240v” on them so I’m going to assume that’s what means I wil only need an adapter. Since I shave my head, I strongly doubt I’ll need an adapter for a hair dryer, though it would be kind of entertaining to watch one explode. Yes, 572cv, I’m just bringing my laptop charger, iPod charger (so much faster than just plugging into the laptop USB), charger for my camera batteries, that’s about it.

Money: Can’t believe I said “Francs!” Brain on vacation already! . . . I’ve already read about the trick to letting the credit card company know before I go so their computer doesn’t tag every purchase as fraud. I’ll have to check with them about using my MasterCard over there. I don’t have Amex.

Credit cards: Goonster you said just because they have the sign in the window doesn’t mean my card will work. Can’t they just enter the info manually? But I see your point about backup cash. I just don’t want to be leaving the train station over there with two weeks worth of Euro cash in my pocket. Are ATM’s as common over there as here? If I can replenish as needed that would be great.

Phone: I strongly doubt my phone is a “world phone,” as it’s the cheap freebie I first got when I got the cell originally almost 4 years ago. I’m sure by this time they’ll be happy to “upgrade” me and I guess a trip to the local Verizon store is in order. But having it work—and having it work without exorbitant fees—are two different things, so guess I’ll have to be careful to question them on that, too.

Bike: I’m not renting one or shipping mine. They supply me with a Madone 6.5 for the trip and helmet, computer, saddle bag, bottles, etc. All I have to take is shoes, pedals, and some clothes. First day of the trip is a fitting session and then short ride up the Col du Lautaret.

Language: I’m working on that. I’ll make sure to know at least survival phrases.

Skype: I’ve use it with my daughter and great idea. I’ll have to get my girlfriend familiar with it—if she isn’t already. I’ve never had occasion to ask her since we usually talk in person!

Train tickets: Yes, I still have to get mine. It’s the only t I haven’t crossed yet. I’ve glanced at the site rbtmcardle mentioned and it looks (mind-numbingly) comprehensive! Gonna scope it out some more tringht since the weather here is sucky and I’ve blown off the ride.

Please, any more tips keep them coming! These are so helpful!

BBD

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
exchange the notes of one private central bank for notes of another private
central bank. :banana: :eek:

djg
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

That's an extremely helpful suggestion. He need look no further.

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Just to make you happy I'll just carry little bags of diamonds and gold nuggets sewn into the waistband of my boxer shorts. ;)

BBD

Fixed
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Our Verizon worked they have some international thing ..
Mrs fixed called. It cost a lot though
Have fun Dave
Cheers :)

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
. . .and yep, it's saving me a boatload of Euros.

BUT . . . I read their advice, which was to put down Canada as my country because if you say USA they boot you over to the more expensive web site. Then on the page where you actually pay they give you a choice of either picking up the ticket at a self-service kiosk at the station OR having them mailed to me.

BUT the advice site rbtmcardle recommended also says they won't mail the tickets to a US address from this European booking site AND the kiosk won't accept non-RFD or chipped cards. So that seems to leave me out in the cold as far as picking up the tickets from an unmanned kiosk at the station.

HOWEVER . . . the advice site also says you can pick up your tickets from the kiosk OR ticket agent at any staffed station.

So now the question--which may be dumb, but I'll ask it anyway. Is it certain the DeGaulle airport station has staffed ticket agents? I'm assuming they probably do, but want to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

BBD

YES.. this is very true.. I saved almost $80 each for my son and I buying the exact same ticket from the french website rather than the US website.. same company, different storefronts.. check this website out.. http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm

I think someone here at Paceline suggested it to me!

In addition.. be aware, many ATMS / Kiosks away from Airports only accept ATM/Debit/Credit Cards with the RF chip in them.. none of my cards would work to purchase local train tickets etc..

FTR - I was the victim of a pickpocket in Paris.. I caught him red handed and saved my wallet... was an interesting scene on the train as we rode together holding the same pole, after he just tried to Rob me.. I'd go back in a heartbeat though, and even after many many trips to Europe.. it always pays to be vigilant.

Dont wear Jeans and Sneakers, or fancy walking shoes, do be confident when you walk around and you will be fine.

tannhauser
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
What I do for money when I travel stateside is use xe trading to EFT money into my son's account et voilà I have cash. It's far and away the cheapest way to move money from one currency to another. Thus if you know someone in France you trust, you just use xe to EFT money into their account then get the cash when your here. Been considering looking into opening account with one of the on-line banks but haven't done that yet

If I needed cash in France I'd just go to the ATM and extract it from my US acct. What's the difference btwn this and your methodology?

tannhauser
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
If the resto tab says service compris you don't have to tip but leave a little extra as a diplomatic, culinary and spiritual gesture.

rbtmcardle
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Dave
Not sure of your itinerary but I printed my tickets at home and went right to the train... There are staffed train ticket windows at cdg.. They were very helpful and got me a day pass for the subway so we could train hop all day in Paris, before we headed to St.Lazarre for the train up to Normandy.
bob

BumbleBeeDave
06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Dave
Not sure of your itinerary but I printed my tickets at home and went right to the train... There are staffed train ticket windows at cdg.. They were very helpful and got me a day pass for the subway so we could train hop all day in Paris, before we headed to St.Lazarre for the train up to Normandy.
bob

. . . but I wanted to make sure if possible. So I could choose the kiosk option, print out my materials, then just take them to the real person at CDG. I just want to do all I can before the fact to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

BBD

572cv
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Dave,
There are ATMs in virtually every town. Ideally, you find one with the same network as your bank at home, but basically, they all work fine. No need to worry, just use your debit card to score some cash.

gone
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM
One of your questions that no one has answered thus far is whether or not to tip the guides. I took a trip with a company that does bike tours and got the same thing in the brochure that you did: tip the guides 10-15%. My first thought was "what a ripoff! Here I am paying for this expensive tour and they want me to pay their guides for them too? No effin' way!"

After the tour was over I tipped 20%. The guides made the tour. They worked their a$$es off, knew the area, got up super early to collect luggage, get bikes ready, ..., ..., were friendly, informative without being intrusive, organized off the bike activities and pretty much bent over backwards to make sure everybody had a good time. Worth every euro.

My advice is to tip them what you think they're worth based on the value they added to your experience. If yours are anything like the ones on my tour you'll feel like you got off cheap at 15%

Have a great trip!

velotel
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
If I needed cash in France I'd just go to the ATM and extract it from my US acct. What's the difference btwn this and your methodology?
Xe's exchange rate is the best I've found and much better than the rate charged by my bank when I use my card in the states. Plus the bank adds a fee. The only fee I pay Xe is the cost of the wire transfer from my account to their bank. Once the money is in my son's account, he then withdraws it and hands it to me so I'm paying cash for everything. Using my card in the states, or in other countries in Europe, is expensive as they charge a fee and the exchange rate for another currency is less favorable than Xe's. When going to Italy we carry cash also for example to avoid the fees. Within France I use the card, withdraw cash when needed at any of the ubiquitous cash machines. Those machines are everywhere. And just as an aside since this isn't a concern in this thread, always best to never close up your car at a restaurant along the autoroutes, especially in Italy, with the remote. People have readers of some kind that can get the code and while the person is inside, they open the car, help themselves, re-close the car, and the people won't even necessarily know right away they've been ripped off.

KidWok
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Many years ago before Euro, one of my traveling companions got scammed by a stret vendor when he used a large bill to pay for something. Change he got back was all counterfeit. We found out when we stopped through a toll booth and tried to pass a fake bill. Dunno what it's like know, but paying with smallest denominations would probably be safest.

Tai

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 05:29 AM
How did you do it? As I mentioned, tour company suggests cash and that would be a lot of cash.

BBD

One of your questions that no one has answered thus far is whether or not to tip the guides. I took a trip with a company that does bike tours and got the same thing in the brochure that you did: tip the guides 10-15%. My first thought was "what a ripoff! Here I am paying for this expensive tour and they want me to pay their guides for them too? No effin' way!"

After the tour was over I tipped 20%. The guides made the tour. They worked their a$$es off, knew the area, got up super early to collect luggage, get bikes ready, ..., ..., were friendly, informative without being intrusive, organized off the bike activities and pretty much bent over backwards to make sure everybody had a good time. Worth every euro.

My advice is to tip them what you think they're worth based on the value they added to your experience. If yours are anything like the ones on my tour you'll feel like you got off cheap at 15%

Have a great trip!

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Dave,
There are ATMs in virtually every town. Ideally, you find one with the same network as your bank at home, but basically, they all work fine. No need to worry, just use your debit card to score some cash.

I just need to get it fixed so my card will work in the machines!!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 05:36 AM
I adopt you as my son, take a small detour to your house on the tour's first ride day, pick up the cash, move my stuff into your basement, then just stay at your place and ride around for two weeks. :D

Oh, wait . . . I already paid for the trip. #$@%$! :crap:

BBD

Xe's exchange rate is the best I've found and much better than the rate charged by my bank when I use my card in the states. Plus the bank adds a fee. The only fee I pay Xe is the cost of the wire transfer from my account to their bank. Once the money is in my son's account, he then withdraws it and hands it to me so I'm paying cash for everything. Using my card in the states, or in other countries in Europe, is expensive as they charge a fee and the exchange rate for another currency is less favorable than Xe's. When going to Italy we carry cash also for example to avoid the fees. Within France I use the card, withdraw cash when needed at any of the ubiquitous cash machines. Those machines are everywhere. And just as an aside since this isn't a concern in this thread, always best to never close up your car at a restaurant along the autoroutes, especially in Italy, with the remote. People have readers of some kind that can get the code and while the person is inside, they open the car, help themselves, re-close the car, and the people won't even necessarily know right away they've been ripped off.

gone
06-05-2012, 06:56 AM
How did you do it? As I mentioned, tour company suggests cash and that would be a lot of cash.

BBD
As others have suggested: ATMs. Toward the last few days of the tour I started thinking about the tip and accumulated the necessary cash with ATM stops each day. I then went to a bank to exchange them for larger bills so I wouldn't have a bulging wallet. I was still packing more euros than I should have been though but I practiced reasonable safety techniques (awareness of my surroundings, with other people, money stored in a safe place, etc).

Ginger
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Yep, single multi-adapter.

You can arrange to purchase euros through xe dot com and have them delivered to your home before you leave if you've given yourself enough time. I like to have a bit of cash of the country I'm going to available when I get there. That way I can get used to a place and the people before I spend any quality time in front of an ATM..or miss something else because I'm looking for an ATM. The first moments in a new country are too magical to be grubbing around for money.

Are you concerned about the phone for calling the US, or for calling around in Europe? My last phone, I purchased unlocked and made sure it worked in the zones I was heading to. Last time we were there (Oh, that's right, I did it in the US too...), I just picked up a cheap local Verizon sim card and some credit for my unlocked phone. *Yes, I realize that I buy my phones unlocked because when I go to different countries and I can get cheap sim cards ($5) and credit. The calls are more expensive than on a contract, but they would be no matter how you slice it.
You might check if you can pick up a used skype phone...(just a thought)

Skype, wifi, and your computer are your answers for calling home if you're taking your laptop. That said...hmmm, would I bother lugging around a theft target that I might particularly care about? For Europe I left the laptop at home and just packed lots of SD cards for the canon. Used the hotel internet computer or dropped in on internet cafe's when I wanted an internet fix. I did pick up a Lowe Pro camera backpack (the eco/recycled one...) fits lunch and paperwork up top, and the camera is easily accessible, but it's all somewhat theft resistant if you have it all zipped and clipped.

Travel well Dave and have a great time!

1happygirl
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
BBD...
Call Verizon NOW and get them to send you the rental international phone. Your phone with Verizon won't work. Verizon doesn't have phones setup that way. Last time family went over, I had my Verizon phone setup to call overseas so it was cheaper (had to go thru verizon to add overseas calling to my phone here in the US) but they told me no way would any phone taken over from US work with verizon so had to get setup with loaner phone.
ps dont know if this would be cheaper than verizon but renting a phone in europe instead of arranging in advance with verizon?
calling from us to europe again no problem with pre access
using phone in europe needs rental to stay with verizon.

a disclaimer...this may all have changed since I tried to do it, but last time I checked it was still the same.

MadRocketSci
06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I adopt you as my son, take a small detour to your house on the tour's first ride day, pick up the cash, move my stuff into your basement, then just stay at your place and ride around for two weeks. :D

BBD

Since i've already called being his adoptive son, we'll have to share the basement, gramps!

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 04:03 PM
. . . if whether I really do need my phone over there. I had just assumed I would. But would I really? . . .

Normally I carry my phone on rides so I can call for help if needed. But on this trip we will have guides with us on every ride.

For other situations, I'd have to think about it. With e-mail and Skype, I could call home that way. After all, it IS a vacation . . .

BBD

BBD...
Call Verizon NOW and get them to send you the rental international phone. Your phone with Verizon won't work. Verizon doesn't have phones setup that way. Last time family went over, I had my Verizon phone setup to call overseas so it was cheaper (had to go thru verizon to add overseas calling to my phone here in the US) but they told me no way would any phone taken over from US work with verizon so had to get setup with loaner phone.
ps dont know if this would be cheaper than verizon but renting a phone in europe instead of arranging in advance with verizon?
calling from us to europe again no problem with pre access
using phone in europe needs rental to stay with verizon.

a disclaimer...this may all have changed since I tried to do it, but last time I checked it was still the same.

velotel
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Oh, wait . . . I already paid for the trip. #$@%$! :crap:

BBD
Now that could be interesting, adopting someone who's older than you. But okay, send me the money in euros (you have to open account with Xe which is no big deal and costs nothing) via Xe and I give you the euros when you're here, minus a service charge, like what, maybe 25%, no, that's getting greedy, 22%. But seriously if you wanted to do that, no problem.

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
. . would charge me a 22% service fee?

I'm crushed, absolutely CRUSHED! And here's it's almost Father's Day, too! ;)

BBD

djg
06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but can anybody recommend a bike rental shop in either Avignon or St. Remy de Provence? Found a couple of things on the net, but don't know anything about them past their web sites.

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
. . . started by a MOD?!?!?!?!?!

Bravery, thy name is djg! ;)

But while we're on the subject . . . how about a decent bike shop near the train station in Grenoble so I can while away an hour or so after I get into town?

BBD

maxn
06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Cycles Pinsello is walkable but not exactly close. They have probably the best eye candy locally -- top of the line Time, Look, Wilier etc. They've been in business forever and used to build frames in house (I have a lugged super Vitus tubed bike that they made).

2 Place Charles de Gaulle, 38950 Saint-Martin-le-Vinoux

http://goo.gl/maps/I6jB

30 minutes or so. OR you could find a metro velo and do it in 5. Or jog?

Elefantino
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
. . . if whether I really do need my phone over there. I had just assumed I would. But would I really? . . .

Normally I carry my phone on rides so I can call for help if needed. But on this trip we will have guides with us on every ride.

For other situations, I'd have to think about it. With e-mail and Skype, I could call home that way. After all, it IS a vacation . . .

BBD
Yes, you need a phone, and your laptop. We expect new threads EVERY DAY with photos, maybe video links to YouTube.

I promise to do the same from the Vuelta.

BumbleBeeDave
06-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes, you need a phone, and your laptop. We expect new threads EVERY DAY with photos, maybe video links to YouTube.

I was afraid of this! :eek: :( :crap:

BBD

William
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM

And photos of him holding up the front page of the local French newspaper...or it didn't happen. Don't forget, he knows how to use Photoshop.:no:

:D
William

djg
06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
. . . started by a MOD?!?!?!?!?!

Bravery, thy name is djg! ;)

But while we're on the subject . . . how about a decent bike shop near the train station in Grenoble so I can while away an hour or so after I get into town?

BBD

Yep. I'm a little brave, and not a little obtuse -- recipe for a hero.