PDA

View Full Version : Ouch ... careful running through stop signs

vandeda
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Nope, it's not another cyclist died thread .... slightly different. I was surprised, but I guess I can see it happening. Keep an eye out for cars & pedestrians alike!!!!!!!!

And if you're living in the northeast, enjoy this awesome weather we're having ... I love it!!!!!!
Dan

Ore. Bicyclist Charged With Manslaughter
Sep 12 12:21 PM US/Eastern

CORVALLIS, Ore.

A bicyclist was charged with manslaughter after he ran through a stop sign and struck and killed a 71-year-old woman, police said Monday.

Jean Calder died at Good Samaritan Hospital after she was struck Friday night as she crossed a street at an unmarked crosswalk, Corvallis police Capt. Ron Noble said.

Christopher A. Lightning, 51, was charged with manslaughter and reckless driving.

"A car and a bicycle are both vehicles and if they are operated in a way that could be criminal, then charges are filed equally in both situations," Noble said. "He was going right through a stop sign."

Lightning was being housed in Benton County jail with bail set at $57,500. He will be given a court-appointed lawyer at his arraignment in Benton County.

slowgoing
09-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Just curious, but what the heck is "an unmarked crosswalk?" If it's not marked, it's not a crosswalk, is it?

I'm all for holding cyclist and cars alike liable for the injuries they cause for running red lights and stop signs. If you're going to run them, at least look both ways beforehand.

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2005, 06:11 PM
. .. I also wonder how a legit corsswalk can be “unmarked.” If it’s unmarked, it’s NOT a crosswalk! Is it painted in INVISIBLE ink or something?

Additionally, how many motorists have we seen stories about who hit and injure--or KILL--cyclists who are riding totally legitimately exactly where they are supposed to be, and the driver is not even CHARGED!

Bullsh*t alert! Bullsh*t alert!

BBDave

bcm119
09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
In Oregon, an intersection implies a crosswalk, I believe. This explains the tendency for Oregon drivers to slam on their brakes at the mere sight of a pedestrian. I just had to take a written test for an Oregon drivers license, after getting a citation for living here for 15 months with a CA license.

I can think of several accidents this year in which cyclists were killed by motorists who were in error. In none of those cases were the drivers charged with manslaughter. The police presence in this town is Orwellian, to be polite, and to further the analogy, one must use 'doublethink' when understanding the charges in many cycling-related accidents around here. It is really strange because otherwise this is a very quiet, eco-friendly, progressive little community. Needless to say, this incident, while tragic, is pure BS.

neverraced
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
1. I didn't see her.

2. I thought the pedal was the brake.

Case closed.

Dr. Doofus
09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
I, Doof, I, ran a stop sign once

well, actually, it was running with a no-parking sign...

still have that sign somewhere....

Michael Maddox
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Not that it really matters, but the folks on Bikeforums had a bit more info. Turns out the guy isn't what we would consider a cyclist, but is more jobless, homeless bum, possibly a tweaker, too. So, although the papers are painting this as a spandex-wearing fairy the likes of us, it's not quite accurate.

andy mac
09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Ummm, what has happened to responsibility in this country...???? Imagine if it was your grandmother or mother who was killed.

I am not normally this person, as I continue to do bazillions of stupid things in my life and run stop signs whenever I can, but stop signs are there for a safety reason, not merely to impede cyclists.

The guy made a choice to break the law. That law is there to protect people. The dude gambled, lost and screwed many people’s lives. Suck it up and take responsibility idiot.

If you ignore the law, break the law and kill, KILL!!!!! someone, you shouldn't hope to get off without consequence. Likewise car drivers should be held liable.

I get the feeling some people think it’s unfair if the guy was wearing white socks, pushing lugged welds, was using no spacers and had the requisite bar/saddle drop??

What would you think if he wasn’t riding a Kirk, he was Kirk the town bum on a BMX???

shinomaster
09-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I remember when I lived in Boston a bike messenger ran over an old lady and broke her into pieces...
People assumed I was a messanger because Of the way I looked, and gave me nasty looks after that..

Ozz
09-13-2005, 05:46 PM
In Oregon, an intersection implies a crosswalk, I believe. ....
Same int Washington....the crosswalks don't have to be marked.

It's the marked crosswalks mid-block in downtown Seattle that are really dangerous...friggin' stop light where it doesn't belong...pedestrians thinking they are impervious cuz the light says "Walk" :no:

Fixed
09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Not that it really matters, but the folks on Bikeforums had a bit more info. Turns out the guy isn't what we would consider a cyclist, but is more jobless, homeless bum, possibly a tweaker, too. So, although the papers are painting this as a spandex-wearing fairy the likes of us, it's not quite accurate.
Bro I am sorry the old lady died but sounds like he is being left holding the bag, if he had the bread for a lawyer he wouldn't even be charged i.m.h.o. :beer: cheers

Fixed
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember when I lived in Boston a bike messenger ran over an old lady and broke her into pieces...
People assumed I was a messanger because Of the way I looked, and gave me nasty looks after that..
bro come down here to the land of blue hair, cyclist are run down and broken into pieces on a regular basis in the sunshine state.Messengers are no different than anyone else some good some not so good .if you get kicked long enough you kick back. I bet every body on this fourm has or runs stop signs and they do it more often when they are on their bikes Cheers :beer: :bike:

William
09-14-2005, 04:58 AM
In Oregon, an intersection implies a crosswalk, I believe. This explains the tendency for Oregon drivers to slam on their brakes at the mere sight of a pedestrian. I just had to take a written test for an Oregon drivers license, after getting a citation for living here for 15 months with a CA license.

I can think of several accidents this year in which cyclists were killed by motorists who were in error. In none of those cases were the drivers charged with manslaughter. The police presence in this town is Orwellian, to be polite, and to further the analogy, one must use 'doublethink' when understanding the charges in many cycling-related accidents around here. It is really strange because otherwise this is a very quiet, eco-friendly, progressive little community. Needless to say, this incident, while tragic, is pure BS.

You got cited just for having a California license. :D ;)

That reminds me of another incident that happened in Corvallis back in the mid 90's. There's a small hill that runs down past the admin building on the OSU campus. Right in front of admin is a stop sign, a cross walk, a speed bump, and an information booth/guard house. This is a busy cross walk. A guy on a mtb came flying down the hill and blew through the stop sign. When he went to hop/jump over the speed bump (right in front of the cross walk), his front wheel came off and he planted first his forks, then his face full speed into the pavement. They guy was out, he had multiple broken bones, and his face was hamburger. When he woke up a few days later in the hospitol, the police were there to cite him for the multiple infractions he committed leading up to his crash.
At the time, a lot of people (college kids) thought it was pretty low to cite him after he got so torn up in his accident. But the bottom line was: If he hadn't committed the infractions, he probably wouldn't have crashed in the first place (at least not there since his wheel had come off).

...The police presence in this town is Orwellian, to be polite

Even when I lived there, Corvallis had a large police presence for a college town. But then again, there were a number of parties that got way out of hand and turned into quasi riots while I was there. And every fall through spring the town grows by at least 16,000 people (probably more now).

Words to live by:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (~Nooo, don't do it! And keep your eye-hi-hi-hi, on the spar-row. When the go-ho-ho-ho-ing gets narrow...Well ,well, well :rolleyes: ;) ).

William

alembical
09-20-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.katu.com/stories/79759.html

Update is that the cyclist was not formally charged.....

alembical