PDA

View Full Version : Wheel quality

LegendRider
06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I stopped to assist a rider yesterday afternoon who was having problems with a brand new Cannondale purchased from REI. He spun the rear wheel and it came to a stop before one complete revolution. He was a big guy and I figured he knocked the wheel out of true and/or broke a spoke. Next, I moved the wheel laterally and found a huge amount of play. I was a little perplexed until I began to feel the spokes - nearly every single one of them had absolutely no tension. They were like overcooked spaghetti!

The rider said everything seemed fine until he suddenly realized his wheel was rubbing the brakes. So, how does this happen? I assume REI didn't let the bike go out the door with the wheel in that condition. And, it seems as if he rode without incident for some period of time. How do multiple spokes lose nearly all tension immediately???

Ironically, I was riding a set of wheels built by Joe Young that are perfectly true and have never needed truing. I think there is lesson to be learned.

Pete Mckeon
06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
he has been buildng "a l o n g " time. AND does an excellent job'

REI will fix the wheel thar is broken:)

MattTuck
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Well, you are right that REI will fix the wheel.

To the OP, I doubt REI built the wheel themselves. They probably just took a set out of the box and put 'em on the frame. I'd think that a number of possibilities exist, 1) bad build, 2) returned item that got put on a new frame 3) factory 'refurb' that never got refurbished?

fourflys
06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
REI bike shop- I bought one of their cross bikes a few years back and was going up a pretty good incline and the NDS crankarm fell off... I took the bike back after that (there had been some other adjustment issues as well)...

I know all the bikes we sell at the shop I just stopped working at got the wheels checked and a large number needed some sort of truing prior to going to the floor... these bikes are put together by who knows who... a good shops throws any wheel on a truing stand before it hits the floor IMHO...

martinrjensen
06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
yes, never stop to help anyone. (just kidding of course)I stopped to assist a rider yesterday afternoon who was having problems with a brand new Cannondale purchased from REI. He spun the rear wheel and it came to a stop before one complete revolution. He was a big guy and I figured he knocked the wheel out of true and/or broke a spoke. Next, I moved the wheel laterally and found a huge amount of play. I was a little perplexed until I began to feel the spokes - nearly every single one of them had absolutely no tension. They were like overcooked spaghetti!

The rider said everything seemed fine until he suddenly realized his wheel was rubbing the brakes. So, how does this happen? I assume REI didn't let the bike go out the door with the wheel in that condition. And, it seems as if he rode without incident for some period of time. How do multiple spokes lose nearly all tension immediately???

Ironically, I was riding a set of wheels built by Joe Young that are perfectly true and have never needed truing. I think there is lesson to be learned.

MattTuck
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
yes, never stop to help anyone, unless they are of the fairer sex.

Fixed it for you ;)

LegendRider
06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Well, you are right that REI will fix the wheel.

To the OP, I doubt REI built the wheel themselves. They probably just took a set out of the box and put 'em on the frame. I'd think that a number of possibilities exist, 1) bad build, 2) returned item that got put on a new frame 3) factory 'refurb' that never got refurbished?

I didn't mean to imply that REI actually built the wheel. They took a Cannondale (complete bike) out of the box and assembled/sold it.

DavidR
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I stopped to assist a rider yesterday afternoon who was having problems with a brand new Cannondale purchased from REI. He spun the rear wheel and it came to a stop before one complete revolution. He was a big guy and I figured he knocked the wheel out of true and/or broke a spoke. Next, I moved the wheel laterally and found a huge amount of play. I was a little perplexed until I began to feel the spokes - nearly every single one of them had absolutely no tension. They were like overcooked spaghetti!

A friend I ride with bought a new set of ultegra open pros. Looked great but after one ride most of the spokes were loose and the wheel would not spin. He ended up taking it to the lbs and they basically retightened the entire wheel. A year later and he has not had any problems. I guess I would assume that the qc would be a little better on the wheels as they go out the door. Who build the wheels definitely makes a difference as many have already said. Good thing in this case is that REI will take care of the problem.

fourflys
06-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I didn't mean to imply that REI actually built the wheel. They took a Cannondale (complete bike) out of the box and assembled/sold it.

but they obviously didn't put the wheel on a truing stand to ensure it was good...

martinrjensen
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks, but in some ways that would go without saying. Still a nice additionFixed it for you ;)

fogrider
06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
I'm willing to bet that when your buddy took the wheels into the lbs, they applied something to the spokes to keep them from loosening up. boiled linseed oil or blue locktight...trick is to use something that would still allow truing in the future.

A friend I ride with bought a new set of ultegra open pros. Looked great but after one ride most of the spokes were loose and the wheel would not spin. He ended up taking it to the lbs and they basically retightened the entire wheel. A year later and he has not had any problems. I guess I would assume that the qc would be a little better on the wheels as they go out the door. Who build the wheels definitely makes a difference as many have already said. Good thing in this case is that REI will take care of the problem.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Most places that sell bikesouttaboxes don't really take the time to do things like true/round/dish/tension and stress relieve the wheels, OVH the BB and headset, adjust the bearings, etc.

That wheel started with too little tension, why it came unstrung.

laupsi
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
another reason to trust and support your LBS?

HenryA
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Most places that sell bikesouttaboxes don't really take the time to do things like true/round/dish/tension and stress relieve the wheels, OVH the BB and headset, adjust the bearings, etc.

That wheel started with too little tension, why it came unstrung.

What oldpotatoe wrote.

I'd be --AMAZED-- if REI's bike builders even thought about checking the wheels.

fourflys
06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
What oldpotatoe wrote.

I'd be --AMAZED-- if REI's bike builders even thought about checking the wheels.

depends on the Mechs... I worked at a Performance and as I said above, every wheel was put on a truing stand before the bike went on the floor... as well all bolts, etc were checked and you'd be amazed at what we would find... way too many replaceable derailure hangers not tight and then people wonder why they can't get the shifting to tune...

oldpotatoe
06-05-2012, 07:46 AM
depends on the Mechs... I worked at a Performance and as I said above, every wheel was put on a truing stand before the bike went on the floor... as well all bolts, etc were checked and you'd be amazed at what we would find... way too many replaceable derailure hangers not tight and then people wonder why they can't get the shifting to tune...

I'd say it depends on the shop, organization, service manager, etc, not the wrench. Many places that hire a bike builder, the first time he takes the tires of to true/round/dish/tension wheel, is told to 'not to do that'. If he's smart, he leaves. If he isn't or needs the $, he just plays along and wonders why the 'big boys' complain that so many new bikes come back that don't work, or the wheels go way outta true first ride, ETC.

fourflys
06-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I'd say it depends on the shop, organization, service manager, etc, not the wrench. Many places that hire a bike builder, the first time he takes the tires of to true/round/dish/tension wheel, is told to 'not to do that'. If he's smart, he leaves. If he isn't or needs the $, he just plays along and wonders why the 'big boys' complain that so many new bikes come back that don't work, or the wheels go way outta true first ride, ETC.

true, our main mech didn't do builds... we had a separate guy for that or one of the more experienced guys... I did a few bike builds and always put the wheels on the stand to check... out store manager was more than behind that... as you said, it depends on the shop/manager... if it's all about "time is money" then they have an issue IMHO...