PDA

View Full Version : Question for minimalist footwear folks

rugbysecondrow
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I have been wearing Merrell True Gloves and Vibram Five Fingers for the past year and a half, Sambas before that. I have any of you all noticed a change in your foot shape since using them?

My foot seems to have gotten wider, especially on the outside where I have developed muscles. I have dress shoes, cowboy boots that don't fit anymore. Also, I tried buying a new pair of Chacos and the platform of my foot was too wide.

Anyway, any thoughts on this? I am unconcerned except that it means I need to pay more attention when buying shoes since I might no longer be a D.

eippo1
06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
But my arch got higher as my feet got stronger. I also found out that 4 mile runs in them over rough terrain is a bit too much when just breaking them out after not touching them all winter. My calves were like rocks and needed lots of soaking in hot water and pressure point massage to get back to normal.

But yeah, I still fit in my 46 Sidis from 11 years ago as well as my newer Ergo 2s that are the same size and the narrowest shoe I own.

Louis
06-03-2012, 11:48 PM
My foot seems to have gotten wider, especially on the outside where I have developed muscles.

:eek: ;)

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. (No, you don't have to post pictures!!!)

I only wear my FF when working out in the winter, and don't do any running or other high-impact stuff with them, so I doubt my experience (no change in width) is relevant.

Have you been seeing any significant benefits to wearing them? Could turn out to be an expensive choice, if you have to ditch lots of stuff.

JeremyS
06-04-2012, 12:05 AM
My feet got wider and shorter by a bit.

Benefits I've noticed: I can do 12 hour days on my feet at tradeshows without getting footsore. I can also be a tourist without getting footsore.

I already wore the widest size Alden makes, so I haven't had to change out much footwear. I can't wear Vans anymore, which kind of sucks in the summer.

RFC
06-04-2012, 01:12 AM
I do know that long distance hikers, i.e., the Alleganys, will experience two size increase over the course of the hike.

rugbysecondrow
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I run about 10 -13 miles a week, and strength train/cross train 4 other days a week, so I get quite a bit of work out of mine.

Benefits, I no longer wear orthopedics, my feet have gotten stronger and my balance has improved. I have no knee, ankle or hip pain and I have no sprained my ankle in the last 18 months of running in them. Lastly, wearing them, in addition to adjusting my running style, I have gotten faster. About 3 minutes on my 5k time, which was not blistering at all, but now is about 23:30.

In short, running has been more fun and faster, feet and joints don't hurt and no more orthopedics.

I had to buy a new pair of Allen Edmonds today, still a D width, but on a different last that works better for me. Look like I have to make my current, broken in Chacos last because the new ones don't work for me anymore.

mtb_frk
06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I read a article someone posted about this. Basically it was showing the difference in foot shape in people that run barefoot vs. in shoes. Of course this was on people that have run their whole lives barefoot. The foot shape was quite different.

hankchong
06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I've been interested in trying barefoot shoes, but have had difficulty looking for a pair to fit my 10.5 4E feet. Any suggestions as to where to look or what might work (maybe go to larger sizes)?

Fixed
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Just run barefoot on a grass course Or at the beach
It is what we did in the seventys and eighties
Cheers

rugbysecondrow
06-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I've been interested in trying barefoot shoes, but have had difficulty looking for a pair to fit my 10.5 4E feet. Any suggestions as to where to look or what might work (maybe go to larger sizes)?

I suspect the Five Fingers might work, but hard to say. If you have an REI near you, check them out. REI has a great return policy.

William
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM

The Merrell Trail Gloves have a very wide toe box. I agree with Rugby that you should go to REI or any other place that carries both to try them out.

Merrell trail glove review and comparison to the FF shoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFhtUp_IprY

William

fiamme red
06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I suspect the Five Fingers might work, but hard to say. If you have an REI near you, check them out. REI has a great return policy.REI = Return Every Item

hankchong
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out REI's selection. Unfortunately, I live in New England, where beaches tend to be gravel, and the weather (like our recent stretch) tends to leave most grassy areas muddy and wet. Minimialist shoes would provide some useful protection.