PDA

View Full Version : unD Ice base layer?

Alan
06-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Has anyone used the unD Ice base layer made by DeFeet? I struggle in the heat and this sounds like it could have potential to keep me much cooler. Just wondering if anyone has actually used one. The price is ok if it works but $100 for a base layer is pricey. The heat in the Ohio valley gets unbearable and started already last week.

Link is below:

http://www.defeet.com/60262/i1353119/730776/UnD-ICE/UnD-ICE.html

Thanks,

Alan

sw3759
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
first i've heard of this stuff.i would be very interested in some real world opinions of it and how well it really works.i would be more interested in the armskins..for 3-5 hour rides in summer heat i am sold on arm coolers...

jds108
06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Here is something similar that's a wee bit less expensive: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Un+D+Shirt+Sleeveless&vendorCode=DEFEET&major=4&minor=13

I haven't tried any of these yet, just been shopping and this one seems reasonably priced...

rnhood
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Nothing will cool you better than an unzipped jersey, without a base layer.

If you have to wear a base layer for whatever reason then I would pick a very light weight wool one. Wool is far more comfortable on the skin than synthetics when you're perspiring, and it does't stick and stink. If you have to wear synthetic then pick a very open and minimalistic weave pattern.

Remember, latent heat is removed when water evaporates. If it evaporates on the outer surface of your base layer then the cooling effect is compromised since it must act through the thermal resistance of the fabric. Water(perspiration) needs to evaporate while on the skin. Whatever water (perspiration) is touching at the instant it flashes to vapor is the medium that's cooled. You want that to be your skin.

Highly wicking fabrics are good in the winter but not the summer.

Louis
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I wonder what "greater" really means? x 1.001 more cooling?

I usually just settle for ice in my water bottle (non-insulated) if my turn-around point happens to have it.

ICE™ technology can help cool the body at a greater rate than wearing just a jersey over bare skin.