PDA

View Full Version : Casual riding by the Hudson

pedlpwrd
06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I went on a week and a half long vacation with my girlfriend and my son to visit my girl's mother and family. We were upstate on the boarder of the Hudson River. It was so very muggy. While we were there we used her brother's family's bikes, all beachcrusier types, and did some little family casual rides of our own. I had taken my "cheap" digital camera on the trip to record special moments like these and, the way things went, we were riding on the edge of the river, which, by the way, doesn't smell very nice in areas, and my son trying to be "the kid" on wheels, went to ride past me and plain out knocked me into the Hudson. Camera and all. I had some lovely pictures I had wanted to share with you and well, if you are ever in the area of the River, and you see a small red digital camera, maybe you can salvage the pics lol.
I ride my only bike, a Serotta. I am not a racing cyclist or even a well knowledged one, more like just a guy who loves the feeling of a beautiful piece of self energy powered machinery under me as I ride the roads, So,I thought I'd share with you guys, how intresting riding a big beachcruiser, with a HUGE round seat was. I felt like my grandmother. Lol, and at times it felt like we had fallen out of a Norman Rockwell painting. It was (outside of the mugginess) a beautiful day and a great trip all around. But after trying to pedal a bike that felt as if it were from the very early days of creation (not to mention the swim in the Hudson River) I was glad to come home and see my bike happily awaiting my return.
So, do any of our esteemed cyclists here on the forum have any "beachcruiser" type experience stories to share?
I have missed you here.

Louis
06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
At least your nice bike wasn't dunked in the river.

That sort of "just riding along" family activity can be just as accident prone (if not more so) as more serious stuff. Happily the speeds are super-slow.

Where along the Hudson were you? I've been up to the New Paltz area a bit when my sister lived in Brooklyn.

pedlpwrd
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
My girlfriend's mother has a beautiful home in a lakefront community just outside of Athens,NY. Gorgeous country out there but the weather is alot more vicious than here on LI.
Yes, I agree Louis, one of the many thoughts that ran into my head as I broke into that nasty water, was, thank god I am NOT on my bike! Lol.

christian
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Any bike is a bike! I've got about four free hours next Saturday in Tokyo, and I plan to beg, borrow, rent or steal a mamachari (likely size 46cm) and go see the city.