PDA

View Full Version : Victor Hugo Pena = quote

AgilisMerlin
06-02-2012, 02:44 PM
was reading this book at the pool the other day. :banana:

‘When I first came to Europe I saw people colored their hair and wore earrings. But when I colored my hair and had my ear pierced , my Directeur Sportif at Vitalicio, Javier Minguez, told me, ‘If you want to fix your hair like a queer, go play soccer. Cycling is for men. You go through misery. You ride so hard you dribble, you **** yourself, you fall on your face and bleed, but you carry on. In cycling you earn your money going through hell. Why don’t to learn to play football where you kick a ball around for an hour and a half a day and earn millions…….’

"When i first came to Europe, there were moments in which i considered going back to Colombia to carry on cycling, but also to go to university and have the life that i did not have as a kid because i was training instead of going out with my friends. Cycling closes your eyes and your social circle. You live in hotel rooms, like a clown in a mobile circus: and although you're always traveling, you never meet anyone, you can't visit anyone. It even takes your taste for travel away; when the season finishes, you don't want to to on holiday because you've been away all year. I remember in 1996, I realized I didn't have any female friends. I didn't know a single woman! I'd lost contact with the girls I knew because I was always away. One day I said to myself, 'I'm alone. Cycling has made me alone.' I couldn't even eat an ice cream alone in the park because it's not part of my diet. I went to the cinema alone, and channeled the solitude into cycling. Every time I won a stage or a time trial, I thought, 'This is my reward.'

used .01cent http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0753818744/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1338666134&sr=8-1&condition=used

Extract from ‘The Significant Other’. A documentary account Victor Hugo Pena’s life as a domestique on the team of Lance Armstrong. He came to Europe from Colombia to be a pro cyclist.

Jaq
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
‘Go play soccer. Cycling is for men.

Not to be too tangential, but I often find it humorous how various branches of an endeavor look down - usually in inverse proportion to their earnings - on other branches.

In entertainment, theater-types despise movie makers and call them troglodytes and wh--es. Movie makers laugh and rake in the cash. But of course, movie makers think TV people are losers; movie making is "The Industry" while TV is just "the biz", and Emmys are the "Special Olympics version of the Oscars." Meanwhile, TV makes moves look like your poor relations.

Oh, the things we say to make ourselves feel good about the things we do.

Delpo
06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry guys but it bugs me. Columbia is a university....Colombia is the country.

AgilisMerlin
06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
oooops,

it's the clothing company in me

Colombia it is.

copy/paste and all