PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace 7900 Shifter Routing

thashicray
06-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm in the midst of my new build with DA 7900 and wanted to take a forum survey from DA users. Are your shifter cables routed using the inner or outer cable guides? Also, are you using alloy or nylon ferrules?

Any comments would be appreciated.

snowcrash19
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Good question! I'm interested in that myself. I'm looking at a new group and have older STI levers. Debating the whole new routing and extra bends. I know it works fine but 7800 is so smooth.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm in the midst of my new build with DA 7900 and wanted to take a forum survey from DA users. Are your shifter cables routed using the inner or outer cable guides? Also, are you using alloy or nylon ferrules?

7900(along with 6700 and 5700) seems to work more smoothly when the der housing is routed behind the hbars. Only exception is short stem and headtube cable stops, then it's better in front.

I opt for 5mm housing and brass ferrules but if you want to use 4mm, still use metal ferrules.

BUT even with 4mm housing, front of hbar, plastic ferrules, it works well.

Grant McLean
06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
It works perfect either way.

Choose based on where you want the cables to end up under the tape.
I think with a lot of these questions people assume there is one right answer,
and that's just not the case.

Most bars, it's way cleaner to run in front, both cables ganged together,
and really pinned down to the bar with electrical tape before you wrap the bars.
This is how I just redid mine yesterday:

-g

dave thompson
06-02-2012, 12:29 PM

I routed my 6700 cables both to the front mainly for ergo reasons, I didn't want any cable bumps on the back of the bars and the front routing provides a nice edge for grip. I used the nylon ferrules that came with the shifters. I set this up over two years ago and have had no issues since.

thashicray
06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I routed my 6700 cables both to the front mainly for ergo reasons, I didn't want any cable bumps on the back of the bars and the front routing provides a nice edge for grip. I used the nylon ferrules that came with the shifters. I set this up over two years ago and have had no issues since.

I routed the cables using the inner cable routing and ran the housing in front of my handlebar for also a cleaner look, however my FD felt ultra-stiff when going from small to big chainring. I'm using Shimano 4mm housing, PTFE cables but NYLON ferrules. I doubt the ferrule material is the culprit.

SoCalSteve
06-02-2012, 04:50 PM

This wont ever be an issue with DI2.....;)

sonoray
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM

slidey
06-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up, will be sure to keep this in mind...oh in the next 10 years or so when I've saved enough for an electronic upgrade :rolleyes:

This wont ever be an issue with DI2.....;)

Fivethumbs
06-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I route my 5700 cables on the backside of the bars. The shifting has worked flawlessly and it make the bars feel beefier, which I like.

thashicray
06-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Well, after reading all your posts I decided to give the routing one more try. I changed all the derailleur ferrules from nylon to alloy, and went back to the inside cable guide. I ran the housing in front of my handlebar with the derailleur housing on top of the brake housing (perhaps it was reversed on my first attempt). What I think I did wrong was how I attached the FD cable - I attached it to the front of the fixing bolt, opposed to the back of the fixing bolt. After a couple of spins around the block, the shifting is flawless.

Thanks to all.