PDA

View Full Version : Peeling clear coat on my Record FD

bikerboy337
06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Just noticed this the other day. The clear coat appears to be peeling off my Campy record 10s FD.... anyone else ahve this issue? No cracks that I can see, still works fine, never been crashed, abused, etc....

Any thoguhts would be great...

Thanks.

OperaLover
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Okay, probably not. Front ders. used to last forever, at least the alloy ones did.

akelman
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I've never seen a well used Record FD without this problem. To be clear, I'm not saying that such a thing doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it. And I've had lots and lots of 10-speed vintage Record FDs in my day. They've all eventually peeled.

Jaq
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Water, air, and sunlight. God's universal solvents. Oh, and hard use, of course.

p.s. Jaws called. He wants his chainring back. ;)

4Rings6Stars
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I've got 2 and they are both peeling as well... I don't think it is anything to worry about structurally, it's just ugly.

bikerboy337
06-01-2012, 12:48 PM
didn't think it was anything too special, but i dont have any other carbon FDs so i wasn't sure... its only ugly when I look at it, and i dont do that when I'm riding :banana:

thanks!

jr59
06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
could be worse!

Could be a sram! :banana:

ultraman6970
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Sand it slightly just to make it even and apply u-pol #1 clear coat and put at least 4 to 6 coats and let it dry for a couple of days, sand and polish it and you will be ready to go.

Dont use anything else but car clear coat because rustoleum will get yellow after a few weeks under the sunlight. Totally different paints and qualities, the u-pol is car grade clear coat with U-V protection.

John M
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
....No cracks that I can see, still works fine, never been crashed, abused, etc....

Signs of wear is prestigious.....It shows that you actually ride. As long as it works, you are good. If you can't handle the appearance, I'll take that off your hands for cheap.

benitosan1972
06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
FD well worn = you ride alot
Chainring well worn = you ride alot
Chain stretched and gunky = you ride alot

Summary = you ride alot, now get some drivetrain
maintenance/replacement cuz everything is really worn out,
especially the shark fins on your chainring, I'm surprised you can shift it.

monkeybanana86
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM

the chairing pins & the top and non-finned side are the parts that engage the chain. plus if that's an old chain everything is worn together. not until you slap on a new chain do you start really feeling bad shifting.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
could be worse!

Could be a sram! :banana:

'Zactly. :rolleyes:

I've actually seen the clearcoat issue a few times.

bikerboy337
06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
The chainrings and chain have less than 1000 miles on them... i think its just a little bit of an illusion in the photo due to the annodized rings being rubbed clear, they're not really sharktooth at all... i see what everyone is saying though...the chain is gunked a bit as I did 60 the other day and haven't relubed it before the photo...

the FD probably has 10k miles on it, so yes, well used...

4Rings6Stars
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
That chain is visiblystretched and gunked up??

....slinks off with his heads down to go clean all his drivetrains...

oldpotatoe
06-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Just noticed this the other day. The clear coat appears to be peeling off my Campy record 10s FD.... anyone else ahve this issue? No cracks that I can see, still works fine, never been crashed, abused, etc....

Any thoguhts would be great...

Thanks.

Common, this is minimized if you mount the FD the 1.5 to 3mm above the big ring as per their instructions. Not sure why but it seems to help.