PDA

View Full Version : Compact crank question?

Spectrum Bob
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
I finally upgraded the drive train to my new Spectrum (I posted questions a few weeks ago as I was making my decision) and went with Campy Chorus with a compact crank 34/50 and did some nice mileage on it over the weekend (120 miles) and was surprised on how well it climbed with the compact. It felt like I was able to keep a higher cadence than usual.

So my question is, does the smaller chain ring (34-23 = 3.1) affect cadence when using the same gear inch over a larger chain ring combination(39-26 = 3.14)?

Ken Robb
05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't see how it could differ by more than the very slight difference in the ratios you posted.

Spectrum Bob
05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
I guess it could be the yellow jersey effect, i did also drop 1.5 pounds from my old Campy Record 10 and a heavy Phil Wood bb

rustychisel
05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
No, there is no perceivable difference or proof of this when the gear ratio remains the same, though many people feel a similar benefit.

It may, in part, be psychosomatic, whereby the perceived effort is moderated by the knowledge that you're not grinding to the top of a hill in your lowest gear but do in fact have one or two lower gears to resort to. If you know the climb well and know your cadences well the 'feel' can be quite marked.

Fixed gear riders go the other way, actually, since they all 'know' that rocking a 48 x 18 (72") is much tougher and manly than palping a 40 x 15 (72") due to the increased size of the [ahem] chainring.

Gummee
05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
So my question is, does the smaller chain ring (34-23 = 3.1) affect cadence when using the same gear inch over a larger chain ring combination(39-26 = 3.14)?IME it doesn't affect cadence, but it could affect how the gear feels to turn it over and how it sounds when you're riding in it

M

ultraman6970
05-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Just a detail, this doesnt affect everybody but at least for me, since i have memory I have always rolled better even chain rings than non even chain rings. If the op have the chance one day to try a 40T probably he will feel comfortable than with a 39 for example. Personally I always hated un even chainrings because (for me) makes my life harder doing cadence specially when u have to roll light gears in the mountains.

Some people doesnt have this issue others dont.