PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Fiesole, IT

cycle_chic
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm not used to this.

I turn a corner, more uphill. Part of me wants my flat Florida roads back, part of me says, "This is good for you. The pain is good."

Olive trees, poppies, courteous drivers. A girl can only dream! Yet, here I am huffing and puffing and cursing for the damn climb to be over.

I'm getting back on the bike after a silly arm injury that happened a few weeks ago, and I'm taking it easy with this short ride, but man, it's steep (for me). I end up climbing just under 1,000 feet on the four-kilometer climb. I think part of my route is actually going to be used in the 2013 UCI Road World Championship race.

Heading to Lucca for the weekend. Will be sure to post more pictures when I get back.

Also, could a loose headset theoretically cause me to have a tragic accident while descending? Mine has some play..

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Is that a Bianchi (SL) you're riding?

cycle_chic
05-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Is that a Bianchi (SL) you're riding?

Yes, it's an older Bianchi (2005, maybe?). Don't think it's an SL though.

texbike
05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow! I'm jealous!!!

Big change from Florida, eh?? :)

Texbike

John M
05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I was in Florence a few years back and really wished I had a bike with me. I saw several cyclists on the roads around Lucca.

Enjoy the hills.... Florida is about the most boring place I have ridden.

monkeybanana86
05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
"courteous drivers" -that's alluring. keep the great photos coming!

estilley
05-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I remember no such courteous drivers during the 3 weeks I spent in Italy. I do however, remember how great the car crash policy is after our rental car collided with a motorcyclist going for an illegal pass. No fault and no insurance claims!

Nelson99
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Looks great!

I'd tighten your headset (or get it tightened). I wouldn't want to ruin those wonderful descents with a loose front end.

It's easy to do if you have Allen wrenches that fit your stem bolts and top cap bolt. Just loosen the stem bolts, tighten the top cap bolt to remove the play in the headset, and re tighten the stem bolts, et viola! Safe and steady once again.

Viper
05-31-2012, 07:18 PM
:vino:

:dancingolive:

monkeybanana86
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks great!

I'd tighten your headset (or get it tightened). I wouldn't want to ruin those wonderful descents with a loose front end.

It's easy to do if you have Allen wrenches that fit your stem bolts and top cap bolt. Just loosen the stem bolts, tighten the top cap bolt to remove the play in the headset, and re tighten the stem bolts, et viola! Safe and steady once again.

and if it's still loose check the wheel (hub)!

and to estilley: bummer about your experience. screw italy then I guess I'll just stay here in the good ol' USA

Brian Cdn
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
When you get to Lucca.. find Poli Cycles. You can see it from the ramparts (cycle path) that circles the city. They have a fleet of yellow painted rental bikes in front of their shop. Poli also rents high end lightweight bikes. They put me on a very nice Colnago and my wife on a Bianchi.

They are good people and will help you with your headset.. and any other bike stuff.

Check out the wall of photos and bike memorabilia in the shop. Poli's father raced and there are pics with him and Coppi.

Ciao bella..

maxn
06-01-2012, 03:52 AM
I would def. deal with the headset.

Liv2RideHard
06-01-2012, 03:58 AM
I remember no such courteous drivers during the 3 weeks I spent in Italy. I do however, remember how great the car crash policy is after our rental car collided with a motorcyclist going for an illegal pass. No fault and no insurance claims!

I just got back from Italia. Had no issues on the road. I have logged many many km in Italy over the years and not once have I had an incident. Whereas here in Florida...almost daily some nitwit tries to kill me. I feel much much safer cycling in Italy.

Cycle chic...the climbing is good for ya! I miss all the climbing I was doing just a few days ago in Northern Italy. Ciao.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2012, 05:34 AM
That is really pretty country you are riding through!

How's the arm doing?

BBD

cycle_chic
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
That is really pretty country you are riding through!

How's the arm doing?

BBD

Hey, BBD!
Feels like it's taking forever to heal, but I can move it way more than I could a couple of weeks ago. The only pain I feel while riding the bike is when I hit a rough patch/pothole on a descent.

oliver1850
06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Good to see you're back on the bike, and in such pleasant surroundings. Seems like a pretty quick recovery to me, but I'm sure it seems much longer to you.

jh_on_the_cape
06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I have been to Fiesole and it really is beautiful.

Try heading to the alps. put your bike on the train and go to Bolzano. There is a gran fondo that does the quattro passi, or 'sella ronda' which is great.

The tour (of trento?) or some race does a stage that does that starting and finishing in Bolzano, which is a big ride!

I have spent a few months a year in Italy for the past 10 years. My in-laws are here from Italy right now.

I am sure you hear 'Ciao Bella Gnocca! Ciao Figa Spaziale!' on occasion! Just turn and wink.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n5cjzrGB6Dk/SbXLchzCc5I/AAAAAAAAGdo/C9S6TsHNLPM/s400/Italia-AmericanGirlinItalyROrkin.jpg