PDA

View Full Version : Sycip

majorpat
05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Anyone got a Sycip road bike they can post, thinking about getting one of these. Anybody have any experience with them? Thanks.
Pat

Jeff N.
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Pretty nice frames from what I've heard. Jeff N.

foo_fighter
05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Not road, but I do ride it on the road a lot:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=106533&highlight=sycip

Jeremy was great to work with...super mellow. I asked for some pretty non standard stuff and he worked it out nicely.

What material are you going with? He was one of the hosts for the first Meet your maker tour rides. Hopefully there will be others.

majorpat
05-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Seeing your bike was one of the things that motivated me to check them out. Going for steel for frame and fork.

HenryA
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Excellent frames.
Go for it.

foo_fighter
06-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Here is another very nice build(steel and very light) :

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87620

cat6
06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
On August 20, 1979, Terrell made his pitching debut for the Royals in the ninth inning against the New York Yankees at Royals Stadium, and retired the Yankees on three pitches; the Yankees were ahead 16–4 at the time and Terrell hurled on an emergency basis

benitosan1972
06-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Off topic slightly, but how is it pronounced?

See-sip (how I say it), Sigh-sip (how my friend's say it),
I've even heard it called See-kip, Sigh-kip, and Sic-cip

cat6
06-01-2012, 01:49 AM
On August 20, 1979, Terrell made his pitching debut for the Royals in the ninth inning against the New York Yankees at Royals Stadium, and retired the Yankees on three pitches; the Yankees were ahead 16–4 at the time and Terrell hurled on an emergency basis

fourflys
06-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Living in CA I've seen many on the road. Far as I know It's 2 brothers, one of which worked under Paul Sadoff of Rock Lobster (I own and endorse Rock Lobster). They're also affililated with Chris King and the Cielo frames, believe they are responsible for the design and personally built the early frames.

Sachs links to them on his site as part of "the next wave".

I don't think you can go wrong.

Jeremy is currently the sole builder at Sycip... his brother moved on to Chris King/Cielo to manage their frames... from what I understand Jeremy was the only one that built anyway... Sycip the bicycle is not affiliated with King/Cielo that I'm aware of, they are actually competitors...

but yes, they are great bikes from what I understand... in fact I would rather have a Sycip over a Cielo... they seem to have more "soul" to me...

the bottle ride
06-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I visited the shop in Santa Rosa when I lived in Marin in 2006- great guys. Great work on the bikes- real artists.

A Sycip with pennies on the stays have always been on my list of dream bikes.

Fixed
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
If I were shopping I would consider them, nice looking bikes
IMHO
Cheers :)

majorpat
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to send Jeremy and email this weekend and see what we can come up with.
Pat

fourflys
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to send Jeremy and email this weekend and see what we can come up with.
Pat

I think you need to figure out a trip to Travis AFB and then drive over and do a personal visit! :D

d_douglas
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Jeremy built a beautiful ladies mixte for my wife. He was great to work with - he knows bike incide out and is totally down to earth.

Yes, that all-rounder with discs is dreamy - make it ti and that would be my ideal bike!

foo_fighter
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
It's "see sip"

I wouldn't say Cielo/Chris King is a competitor. Jay is the product manager there and I'm sure many Sycip bikes come with King headsets/hubs. Then again he's also quoted as saying, "Some of my best friends are also my competition." No doubt referring to Soulcraft, Rock Lobster and some of the other local builders.

Jeremy just posted this to his Sycip Designs fb account:

http://cielo.chrisking.com/2012/05/31/shop-visit-jeremy-sycip-of-sycip-bicycles/

fourflys
06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
not trying to say there is any animosity between Sycip and Cielo, just that they are competing for the same customers... I think almost every custom bike comes with some King bling on it... :D

I would hope all the custom framebuilders wish each other well, but at the end of the day I also hope they each wants the next customer instead of the other guy... that's just good business...

I'm sure the Cielo's are great bikes as well, they just don't do anything for me...