PDA

View Full Version : Personalization

Tmogul
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I think the major allure of a custom frame is that it was made specifically for you. What I would like to know is what all of you have done to not only customize your frames but personalize them. I'm not talking about selecting the perfect tubes or getting the right paint scheme or tacking on full dura ace or record with super light widgets. I'm wondering if there are companies out there that give you the option to set your bike apart from the other serottas or parlees etc. I remember seeing a terraplane on this forum with a custom "T" in the lug. Also someone showed me a site that sells different color top caps with custom engravings. What else is there to do besides getting a sticker with your name on it to put on the TT or actually painting it on? Custom headbadges?

I'm just kind of brainstorming and wanted to see if anybody here had some great ideas. If you guys have pics of what you've done even better.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing.

Argos
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
A friend of mine had all of his Carbon bits hand sanded with like 1200 grit, then got the PPG from Serotta for the Blue they Use in their Ottrott Clearcoat.
His Cinelli Rams have no Decals and are tinted to match as is his Alien Seatpost. It's REALLY nice..

Ti Designs
09-11-2005, 11:15 PM
IF offers their XS (the model, not the size) in what they call "ultra custom" where the customer comes up with some design and they have some guy hand carve the titanium lugs...

slowgoing
09-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I like dehoopta's flag on the seat tube.

Sandy
09-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I like dehoopta's flag on the seat tube.

I like that also. It is a nice touch.

Sandy

dehoopta
09-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks! I like it too. It is the flag from the providence my father (the one who inspired me to ride) is from in northern Netherlands. The folks at Serotta had to design and make the decal for me.

Tmogul
09-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I really wonder how all the ti/carbon frames compare with eachother and with full carbon frames. If the tubes are all carbon, then I don't see how the lug material (carbon, ti, steel) would make any difference to the ride. I would think it would ride like a lugged carbon bike. I checked out that IF XS (pics below). That's a cool idea.

I know Merlin likes to etch designs into their ti tubes but I've been told that could facilitate stress risers. It would be cool to etch a personal logo, name, or favorite motto. Decals always peel in the long run unless covered with a clear coat.

I looked up your bike dehoopta. Nice job indeed.

Argos I would love to see a pic of your buddy's bike if possible.

Any more ideas and any pics to go along with it? I know you guys spend a good chunk of time carefully planning out these expensive one of a kind purchases. So feel free to elaborate a bit on how you made it special.

http://ifrider.com/register/00406b.jpg http://ifrider.com/register/00407c.jpg

Peter
09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
We have a high-tech engraver at work which I normally use to engrave plastics. The bike shop I part-time at inherited a bag of 1 1/8" stem caps. I got the bright idea to try and engrave them with the bike shop's name. Then I tried some employees' names. Works like a charm.

Many fonts are available, as is the ability to scan in logos, etc., though we don't have a scanner connected. It works best with caps that are anodized a color other than natural aluminum. I want to get my hand on some plain black caps and engrave my friends' names on them. I think that'll be a classy touch to a bike.

I'm also thinking it would look classy to engrave the sides of the stem or the handlebar faceplate, as the engraver will handle curved surfaces, to a degree.

Grant McLean
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Do what the pros do.....

http://www.vcgraphix.com/us/gallery/Default.asp?gal=Names&group=images

G