PDA

View Full Version : Pro cyclists you know

jgspin
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if any of you know any pro cyclists personally; first name basis. If you are at liberty to divulge their names and teams do so. And has this relationship improved your cycling? Have you gotten advice that has helped you ride faster, safer, longer, more comfortable?

Ti Designs
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes. The rest of the answer would just get confusing.

VA-Scooter
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I was wondering if any of you know any pro cyclists personally; first name basis. If you are at liberty to divulge their names and teams do so. And has this relationship improved your cycling? Have you gotten advice that has helped you ride faster, safer, longer, more comfortable?

I know Ben King-2010 US Road Champ. I hauled Ben & my son to races when they raced as Jrs. His Mother told me all he does is ride-eat-sleep. My wife & life will not allow that.

rdnaser
05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I know a pro triathlete (Ironman winner and winner of tons of other races) personally. She is an affable, humble person and a GREAT athlete. She has offered advice to me (and others) freely, without being pretentious or haughty. Overall, I think I have learned more from her about being a considerate human being than about riding a bike (or swimming or running) but the athletic tips she has offered have been salient ones - mostly derived from mistakes she has made. There is no substitute for experience. Listen and learn.
Good luck.

benitosan1972
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
The Jacques-Maynes brothers are local boys (Team Bissell),
occasionally run into them, really nice down to earth guys... and FAST

Also, Cole Maness from Rapha Continental (bald head, handlebar moustache)
is really nice, hung out with him a few times in LA, not exactly close friends, but...

Most of the Pros I've met around here seem pretty nice and grateful to be paid for riding bikes for a living, but the job isn't as glamorous/fun as it seems, lots of pressure to perform & win, still not a bad day job here in CA

Joachim
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Bunch of european pro's, old school (teammates of Peter Post), 90's pro's (Saxon-Tonnisteiner, Zetelhallen-Vosschemie, Collstrop, Vlaanderen 2002), team dr's (Lotto, Rabobank). I raced with a few in U23 world cup races in the 90's (not including Peter Post teammates) and that's how I know them. Not much to report, I got good training advice from our team dr which was Rabobank's dr at the time. Listening to the old guys talk about their training methods in the 70's/80's and riding the Vuelta (stage winner and 5th overall) and Ruta del Sol overall winner was a real treat.

csm
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Sean Withers. He used to ride for Cannondale years back.

ultraman6970
05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
interesting... Joachim by any chance did you met a guy from the lotto called Wanderley Magalhães and a masseur from the yoko colnago called Johan Demmeheller (the spelling is wrong but it sounded like that) or something like that?

Joachim
05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
No, older guy is Jos Schipper. Collstrop guy I rode with was Edwin Enthoven. My dr was Geert Leinders.

avalonracing
05-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Just MTB pros and you guys probably don't count them as pro cyclists :rolleyes:

jchasse
05-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Lots that live locally that I run into on the road or trail, or just around town. But none really on a first name basis. (Ned Overend, Todd Wells, Travis Brown, John Tomac, Carmen Small, Kristen McGrath ...all the usual Durango suspects) All have been super down-to-earth, and seemingly happy to chat with anyone.

And of course Bob Roll. I live in Bobke's old house!

fourflys
05-30-2012, 07:45 PM
until the other day, I worked with a 5 time Tour rider from the 70's at the shop I worked at... very nice guy and when he talked, I listened...

Johnnyg
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I have the good fortune to get to know and ride with Saul Raisin each winter when he comes to Sanibel, Florida. I really enjoy hearing about his life as a pro in Europe. He gave me a copy of his book, which is a great read. A very nice person. A shame what happened to bring his bright career to an end.

Bruce K
05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
I feel very lucky to know a fair number of former and current pros from various levels (Domestic through International) in both Road, Cyclocross, and MTB. Almost all on a first name basis.

I have been lucky to ride with them as I will with Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter, and Taylor Phinney this weekend at The Road 2 Victory in Boulder.

I have learned a lot of great stuff and been coached by both a Pro/Olympian/World Championship woman rider and also a professional triathlete. It has definitely improved my riding and skills but it will never make me really fast or even close to more than moderately competitive in age group stuff at this age and stage of my life.

It's all fun and neat to have someone to cheer for sometimes on TV.

BK

TMB
05-30-2012, 08:27 PM

oldpotatoe
05-31-2012, 07:43 AM

Know a few retired and active pros. Work on a lot of their bikes.

Timmy Duggan(way to GO!!)
Eddy Gragus
Andy Hampsten
Davis Phinney(when they owned Morgul Bismark, was service manager)
Connie Carpenter
Ron Keifel
Chris Balwin(lives 2 doors down)
Christian VandeVelde
Will Friskorn(has a biz 2 doors down from the shop)
Dave Scott, son Drew
MaryBeth Ellis(tri pro)

some others.

I think what this says is I've been doin' this TDL(Too Damn Long) and all in the 'Republic(Boulder), lotsa pros

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
. . . if there are several current pros we chat with right here on Paceline who simply don't let on who they are.

BBD

fiamme red
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
. . . if there are several current pros we chat with right here on Paceline who simply don't let on who they are.

BBDAnd some that do. ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=61818

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
And some that do. ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=61818

. . . but that's not really him! :rolleyes:

BBD

fiamme red
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
. . . but that's not really him! :rolleyes:

BBDYes, I know that it was one of the moderators having fun. Hence the ;) .

:)

Charles M
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
A few...

The benefits are good friends that will eat you out of house and home and make you feel older and slower than you normally would...

earlfoss
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Frank Pipp used to ride for my team, we trained/raced together for a few seasons. (2nd at USPRO this year). His brother still lives in the area and was a great rider himself having ridden for Shaklee and many other squads back in the day. You could tell Frank was someone special on the bike almost immediately, and he's a very nice guy too.

Tommy Matusch (ex 7-11) lives in the area and we ride together fairly regularly. He's still as fast and smart as ever. He ski races a lot these days too.

Matt Kelly (ex jr. cross world champ, pro mtb dude) used to race for our team. We raced together the first two years before his career really skyrocketed. He was amazing to watch on the bike. That guy was made to pedal race bikes.

Bruce K
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Looks like I will get to add Christian Vande Velde to the list as it was just announced he will be at Road 2 Victory on Sunday

:banana:

BK