PDA

View Full Version : YEEEHAWW! For Heras!!!!

Russ
09-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I just read cyclingnews.com and saw that Roberto Heras took the lead of La Vuelta once again.... GREAT!

For a few days I thought he had lost the race.... Viva Heras!!! :D :D :D

I am also happy for Tom Danielson, the top US finisher.... This boy has a lot of talent and should be praised even though he DNF'd at the Giro.... Go Tom!!! :) :) :)

Ray
09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I just got back from a great century today and watched my recording of the TVE telecast. DAMN, WHAT AN EPIC STAGE!! The telecast is only an hour and by the time it began, Heras was already in the lead group with the bulk of his team pulling like maniacs and Menchov in a small chase group with no teammates in the early stages of the last climb. I had no idea how he finally got free of Menchov, and had to read later that he attacked on the descent with his teammates waiting up the road for him! Liberty was incredible, with Beloki putting in a good turn at the front and then Scarponi putting in an amazing effort, pulling for kilometer after kilometer with only Heras and two other guys (who weren't GC threats) hanging in there hoping for a stage win. By the time Scarponi dropped off and Roberto took off with about 5 km to go, Sastre had ridden away from Menchov, leaving him TOTALLY isolated and clearly broken. Roberto quickly dropped his two remaining companions and extended his advantage on the brutally steep (up to 18%) portion of the climb, by now in the rain and fog. As the time gaps were shown it was clear Heras was blowing the race apart and it seemed possible that Sastre might even move into second.

This was by far the most exciting day of stage racing I've seen this year (missed the pentultimate stage of the Giro due to a power outage). Nothing in the Tour even came close. The way Menchov was defending in the mountains, I thought the Veulta had been mildly boring up till now. But today was incredible. As everyone keeps saying, it just takes one bad day in the mountains, but it happens to a leader so rarely (Ullrich in the Tour in '98, Evans in the Giro a few years ago, who else recently?) that you tend to forget how dramatic it can be.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I just read the roundup on VeloNews. It does indeed sound like a headbanger of a day. I’m happy as heck for Heras, but I still have trouble understanding how this guy can continue to fall apart in the Tour the last few years, then ramp it up so hard and blow away the Vuelta. Does he deliberately train to peak for his “home” race, or is the emotion of the event on home turf just inspiring him?

Additionally, I’m also so happy for Tommy D. . . . moving up a few places more in this coming week could really do a lot for his mental approach in the future--knowing he CAN do it.

And more happiness for Sastre, who seems to have been overshadowed by Basso and Julich on CSC this year. Sastre really is a great athlete and a podium placing here--assuming he can hold third--would be just great.

Lastly, hearing that Beloki is having a good race is also very heartening. I have read several places of pundits predictions his Tour crash ended his career as a real threat. I hope they are proved wrong.

Sounds like the DVD’s to buy this year are the Giro and the Vuelta. Forget that other race--the Tour de what? . . . :rolleyes:

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2005, 08:42 PM
. . . does Manolo Saiz have little windshield wipers on his glasses for when it rains while he’s leaning out the window yelling “Venga! Venga!”?

It should be very interesting to see how he and Vino’ get along this next year. Russ, what’s Spanish for, “Wait until I TELL you to attack, D@mmit!!”

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
What exactly are those yellow things on Roberto’s jersey? Leaves? Fish? Bananas? Banana slugs?

Aside from that, remember that he’s tearing up the field in spite of a knee full of stitches! Amazing! . . .

BBDave

Russ
09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Russ, what’s Spanish for, “Wait until I TELL you to attack, D@mmit!!”

There is goes Dave: "Oye, espera ha que te indique que ataques.... Carajo!"

But really, I think Heras and Vino will work and complement each other very well in Liberty (Saiz hands). Vino will be Tour weaponry while Heras will probably continue to be the Vuelta man.... None of the BS you saw with Simoni and Cunego. IMO, Italians love (soap) operas... :eek:

As far as your comments on these guys doing so well on their home turf; you are right, nothing beats getting motivation from a home crowd!!! I can speak from my own experience...

This is one reason I admire so much those US riders that have gone to Europe and done so well... It is amazing to see these guys racing in foreign lands in a foreign sport and do so well... As said, Viva Heras.... But I also have to wave that American flag!

The Spider
09-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Got in to work at 8:30, load up computer, load up Velonews, read heading, yell "YEAH! HERAS!", boss walks in and asks what the commotion is, explain that Roberto Heras is one of my favoured clients and just purchased a home for 1 mill and we're doing all financing!

What a stage! What a strategy! It was like they took a page from the Riis Strategy Guide (RSG)!

jeffg
09-12-2005, 03:02 AM
It seems Roberto attacked on the penultimate climb and descent, i.e. he did what people criticized Ullrich for trying in the 2003 TdF, no? Anyway, he let it all hang out and really put in a spectacular performance. Yeah, baby!

Russ
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
It seems Roberto attacked on the penultimate climb and descent, i.e. he did what people criticized Ullrich for trying in the 2003 TdF, no? Anyway, he let it all hang out and really put in a spectacular performance. Yeah, baby!

But Jeff,

Remember, you could not do that to His Holiness Lance! Oh no... Not to Lance... :butt:

jeffg
09-12-2005, 11:45 AM
But Jeff,

Remember, you could not do that to His Holiness Lance! Oh no... Not to Lance... :butt:

Well, Ullrich couldn't ... My point was risky stratagies are genius when they succeed, idiocy when they fail. I just like the courage of that move. Heras tried it Postal-style in earlier stages (marhsall the troops and attack the last climb). That didn't work so he had to go a bit earlier and it worked. Mind you, he had better support than LA in 1999, 2000 & 2001, but it was still gutsy.

Just saw a movie wth my two-year old where there's a great song about how "from the ashes of failure grow the roses of success." I bet they smell sweet to Roberto now ...