PDA

View Full Version : Any first hand experience with eBay hubs?

Nooch
05-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Just looking around weight weenies and rbr, bunch of people say the ebay hubs are great (like circus monkey, dixi, faxson) -- pretty sure they're all made in the same place, looks like 3 pawl engagement, but for $80 for a set of pretty light hubs, I'm kinda toying with building a set around them.

Only downfall is the pink ones only come in 24/20, which I'm not sure will work too well with my 200 (+/- 10 at any given time) pound frame..

FastVegan
05-30-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a set of "circus monkey" hubs in "red" on my mtb, 32hole, light and cheap. They have about 30 hours on them and are still tight and smooth.

The finish is not great and does not match, but they are usually covered in mud anyway.

Paying $400 for a hub is beyond my means, and I think these are great.

I plan on buying 2 sets for cx this season, perhaps from bikehubstore.com

oldpotatoe
05-30-2012, 07:55 AM
I have a set of "circus monkey" hubs in "red" on my mtb, 32hole, light and cheap. They have about 30 hours on them and are still tight and smooth.

The finish is not great and does not match, but they are usually covered in mud anyway.

Paying $400 for a hub is beyond my means, and I think these are great.

I plan on buying 2 sets for cx this season, perhaps from bikehubstore.com

Disc? XT hubs are really hard to beat and not $400........

dustyrider
05-30-2012, 08:10 AM
My commuter/tourer has 32h Origin 8 hubs laced up to some good ole cr18s
I've got a few thousand miles on them already easy, and they're holding up great. I have no experience with the hubs you're talking about.

Grant McLean
05-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Yeah, people can get sticker shock from the brands like Chris King,
and think good hubs all cost a fortune. XT hubset is less than $100 on-line.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=764

-g

Nooch
05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
looking at road hubs, specifically..

Thanks!

Grant McLean
05-30-2012, 08:48 AM
looking at road hubs, specifically..

Thanks!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Hubs-Road-Shimano-Pair-Road-Hubs-Ultegra-Silver-6700/SHIMHUBR330

-g

goonster
05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes, but they're not pink.

Pete Mckeon
05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Never had any break or wear out. I wish I could say I wore some out for it means I ride more than I do.

Nooch, if you need some (and not pink or colorful) give me a call or send a note. Cost is some wine the next time I see you. PETE

Yeah, people can get sticker shock from the brands like Chris King,
and think good hubs all cost a fortune. XT hubset is less than $100 on-line.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=764

-g

Mike748
05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm running a set of silver 32h Circus Monkey Campy laced to OP's on my CSi. Not a lot of miles on them yet but the machining quality and finish are excellent. Per the experience of others I added some lube to the FW pawls as they seem a little dry from the factory. I don't think all of them are made by the same factory. Although the designs are similar, the machining details are better imho on the CM hubs. BTW, these look identical to the hubs Velocity is selling. Also the CM Campy and Shimano rear hubs are identical so you can swap freehub bodies between them if you want.

cmg
05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
local LBS built me a wheelset using the hubs and spokes/nipples from the bikehubstore. http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/122.htm had a pair of Stans Alpha 340 rims. front and rear hubs total cost is around $140. Haven't had a problem in the 3 months of use i've had them. It's really about the cartridge bearings and once you get use to replacing them what's the issue?

Nooch
05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm running a set of silver 32h Circus Monkey Campy laced to OP's on my CSi. Not a lot of miles on them yet but the machining quality and finish are excellent. Per the experience of others I added some lube to the FW pawls as they seem a little dry from the factory. I don't think all of them are made by the same factory. Although the designs are similar, the machining details are better imho on the CM hubs. BTW, these look identical to the hubs Velocity is selling. Also the CM Campy and Shimano rear hubs are identical so you can swap freehub bodies between them if you want.

this is helpful.. i just wish i could get the CM's in pink!

JAGI410
05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I built a set of Novatec hubs/Salsa Delgados and was very impressed, they seemed to just roll forever. Freehub noise was a little loud for my likes (maybe 2x louder than Shimano, way quieter than king). Built up easy and parts are easy to get from bdopcycling. For bling on a budget, eBay hubs are a good bet.

eddief
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
not too many miles, but all is fine for now. look good, roll good, sound good.

illuminaught
05-30-2012, 10:14 AM
I have circus monkeys, Bikehubstore, and DT Swiss 240s.
All good hubs. You're paying for precision/perfection.

I like running the DT Swiss 240 in the rear and one of the BikeHubStore wide flange hubs in the front. They are lighter and cheaper than DT's version while using essentially the same bearings.
Works for me...
The rear hubs from those ebay sources are less impressive. They function well but have fewer safeguards and fit ensuring parts.

wallymann
05-30-2012, 10:14 AM
they are identical to my amclassic micro-58 front hubs and work the same, which is to say: excellent. there is no difference in performance or function or finish for that matter. i got mine from bikehubstore.com.

Mike748
05-30-2012, 10:43 AM
this is helpful.. i just wish i could get the CM's in pink!

Email them in Taiwan, they might be available. Not everything they make is on Ebay.

AngryScientist
05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
glad you brought this up, i'm thinking of building my first wheelset around these. i'll let you know should i take the leap.

Nooch
05-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Email them in Taiwan, they might be available. Not everything they make is on Ebay.

Yeah, I tried, unfortunately looks like pink is only available in a 24/20 drilling, under the name Faxson (but it's all one website, so I'm figuring they're the same)..

I'm thinking 24/20 under a 200 lb rider is probably a little weak, no?

Nooch
05-30-2012, 11:03 AM
glad you brought this up, i'm thinking of building my first wheelset around these. i'll let you know should i take the leap.

awesome, nick, let me know when you want to sell me your pink king shimano hubs then :)

AngryScientist
05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
awesome, nick, let me know when you want to sell me your pink king shimano hubs then :)

yea, since i just had john build me up a set of pink R45 CK hub'd wheels, i think my shimano splined ones are going to be on the chopping block soon - i just need some replacement campy wheels for the Colorado. Working on it. :hello:

christian
05-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, but they're not pink. Funny, Goon!

Also, have I told you that the quote in your .sig is really starting to bother me? If I didn't see that every day, I probably would have already bought a nice used Parlee. Instead, I keep thinking "Doing>Having" and riding my Merckx. But I really want that Parlee. Advice?

rdnaser
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Sacrifice yourself for the masses - go for it and let us know how they hold up! You have to get at least a year out of them no matter how bad they are, right?

FastVegan
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

I bet XT are "hard to beat" but at almost 700grams for a set I don't care to find out.