PDA

View Full Version : Rando 650b wheelset/components

thenewguy11
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Finally put my deposit down on a custom rando frame - now a bunch of questions. I need to build up a wheelset and as far as i can tell the only choice for a disc rear with Campy is the DT240. Thats fine but I was hoping to go with alloy/polished components and front SON hub. Does the DT240 have that option? I couldn't find the answer on their website plus there are a bunch of options to choose from and not really knowing what I'm looking for, its a little overwhelming. Thought?

DAG
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
You neglected spacing, so I'll assume that it's 130 OLD.

If you would try a conversion cassette, you could go White Industries or Phil Wood.

http://www.philwood.com/products/hubspgs/mtbhubs.php#

thenewguy11
05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry, it'll be 135 spacing.

Grant McLean
05-29-2012, 10:18 PM
I need to build up a wheelset and as far as i can tell the only choice for a disc rear with Campy is the DT240. Thats fine but I was hoping to go with alloy/polished components and front SON hub. Does the DT240 have that option?

From what i understand, you have to buy the Shimano version of the hub,
and switch the cassette body to a Campagnolo one. I suppose you're also
asking if it comes in silver, which it doesn't. But you could have the anodization
stripped off and have the shell polished, I suppose.

-g

Marburg
05-30-2012, 04:39 AM
The Googles can help with this a little bit, though I'll admit there's a lot of confusing information and it's hard to tell whether it's still relevant. Choices appear to include:

DT Swiss: Purchase a 135 Shimano disc hub + a Campy shell. Campy shell onto hub. Works for DT240 and perhaps also the 350? As mentioned above, not silver

White Industries. Might be possible, special order?

Hope: Might be possible to put a Hope 3 (non-disc) Campy shell onto a Hope 2 EVO (disc) hub?

Apparently old American Classic hubs and some WTB hubs are the same but getting the right generations can be tricky.

Or, use a Shimano hub/cassette and Campy drivetrain, either with our without something like a Shiftmate. Lots of anecdotal evidence there.

Of all those those, the Hope option is new to me and possibly the most intriguing. I'm quite happy with the several Hope hubs I own...

R2D2
05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Try contacting Peter White and perhaps he has some input/wisdom.

goonster
05-30-2012, 08:52 AM
White Industries MI6.

I'm pretty sure all their hubs are available with Campy freehubs. My 145mm OLD non-disc tandem hub was originally Campy (but has since been converted back to Shimano).

Visually, the White hubs are terrific match for the SON.

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2010/10/14/1/todd_wells_specialized_crux_disc_rear_hub_600.jpg

jeduardo
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I've been dealing with this Campy Disc issue for just shy of a year since my CX disc frame was ordered/competed.

Phil Wood: Contact them for their 135mm Campy Disc hub (costly but worth it)

Lynette @ White Industries: NO-U can't fit an H3 Campy FH body onto the 135mm MTB hub (something about the need to re-design the hub shell/body interface needs to be done & they seemingly have zero interest in doing a 1-off custom job )

Phil @ HOPE: Yes with their new Pro2 EVO hubs you can swap FH bodies (use their Campy body for 130mm road hub) to assemble a 135mm Campy compatible disc hub (same issues that arise w/DT swap but a good deal less expensive)

DT: FH body swap can be easily, as others have mentioned, but then you are adding a good deal of $ on top of an already overpriced (IMO) hub just to get the Campy FH body

American Classic: NO- Hi Jay, Bad news. You can not ride campagnolo on the AC disc hub. Campy will not shift on the 135mm platform. Very sorry.
Thank you, American Classic

Rolf: Offers new VCX disc CX set that can be ordered in Campy config if you call them

Velocity USA: Offers disc hub that is Campy Compatible but I think a dealer needs to call to request

IMHO Best 135mm spaced Campy Dic hub/wheel Options: Phil Wood (silver), Hope (silver), Rolf (No silver, all black)

buck-50
05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
You could go easy on yourself and just go shimano...

just sayin...

stuckey
05-30-2012, 10:08 PM
You can swap out the free hub on a White Industries M16. I have a M15 that has a 130mm axle and a Campy free hub just to show the possibilities with Whites hubs.

thenewguy11
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Phil Wood looks promising or maybe the Hope hub. But, geez, is the PW hub really $500+?

Heard back from Peter White - he hasn't heard of any other options.

KidWok
05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Phil Wood looks promising or maybe the Hope hub. But, geez, is the PW hub really $500+?

I have some 135 PW disc hubs for my touring rig...pricey, heavy and LOUD!

Tai

thenewguy11
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Confirmed with White Industries that they do not offer a 135mm Campy option

"We do not currently offer a hub in 135mm rear spacing that is Campy 11 compatible. Nor do we offer one that is both Campy 11 and disc brake compatible in 135mm spacing. The Campy 11 cog set forced us to redesign our road hub shells to accommodate the wider cog set and these have been limited to traditional road hub rear spacing of 130mm. Adding 135mm spacing and the disc brake rotor seems simple, but the relationship between the frame drop outs/caliper mount and the hub shell/rotor position changes when the rear spacing is widened. We haven’t worked on this design problem, yet."

GRAVELBIKE
05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Finally put my deposit down on a custom rando frame - now a bunch of questions. I need to build up a wheelset and as far as i can tell the only choice for a disc rear with Campy is the DT240. Thats fine but I was hoping to go with alloy/polished components and front SON hub. Does the DT240 have that option? I couldn't find the answer on their website plus there are a bunch of options to choose from and not really knowing what I'm looking for, its a little overwhelming. Thought?

There are some Shimergo options that would work. I run Campy levers on a bike with 135mm/disc rear, and can run basically any Shimano-compatible hub.