PDA

View Full Version : Tips for installing Campy 11

OperaLover
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
There was a great thread recently with some awesome tips for setting up 11-speed. I can't seem to find it in a search can someone help me or bump the thread?

I just got my box of Record 11 goodies. Crank was installed by Branford Bike, but I want to do the rest myself. The tips that were poseted were great. I copied the article that someone linked, but that one had you install the levers before installing the cables. I thought the thread said to install cable before mounting levers. I want to do this right without too much frustration.

Thank you!

lurpy
05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=109515

bigbill
05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Whether you run the cables through the shifters before or after you mount them, get small children out of the room so you can freely cuss at the tiny diameter cables that have to lay in the teflon piece.

jds108
05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
In the linked thread, there is a bikeradar article linked. Take a look at that. Their info in step 5 was good for me to know.

OperaLover
05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I did print off the bikeradar article. As to the swearing that will ensue, I have my workshop in the garage and won't be working on this until the wee ones are in bed.

Ralph
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Some advice from an old guy......cut your cable housing on the long side. It's easy to cut them again if they are too long, or if you mess up one of the ends....don't get a good cut, etc. And sometimes, when you wrap the bars, you change the bends, and you shorten up the cables. Same with chain....cut it on long side....then take out two more links if necessary. It's easy to make shorter if too long, not so easy to make longer after cut.

harryblack
05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm spacing out but there was a v. good Italian pro team mechanic video-- Lampre? Ah, here it is--

http://www.teamlampreisd.com/videos/il-meccanico-ronny-baron-ci-illustra-come-si-monta-una-bici-dei-professionisti/

http://www.teamlampreisd.com/videos/il-meccanico-ronny-baron-ci-illustra-come-assemblare-una-bici-dei-professionisti-2°-parte/

Ronny Baron is your co-pilot.

I'll admit I was a little worried before going 11 but the idea that it's any more 'finicky' than 10 is absurd; set it up correctly and you can pretty much forget about it and I've ridden Athena in every severe condition: North Carolina mountains, Florida sandy/salty coast, gravel roads, NYC pothole hell. Enjoy!!

Some advice from an old guy......cut your cable housing on the long side. It's easy to cut them again if they are too long, or if you mess up one of the ends....don't get a good cut, etc. And sometimes, when you wrap the bars, you change the bends, and you shorten up the cables. Same with chain....cut it on long side....then take out two more links if necessary. It's easy to make shorter if too long, not so easy to make longer after cut.

jlwdm
05-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Great you want to do it yourself, but my Seattle bike has Campagnolo 11 installed by Veloce Velo on Mercer Island - a Campy Pro Shop.

Great guys.

Jeff

OperaLover
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Sweet videos! Didn't see him use a torque wrench once!

Thanks again. I am old guy, too. This group was my 50th b-day present. Veloce Velo on MI is a good shop (although the turnover in mechanics is high), but if I were going to pay for the install, it would be Branford. It's a pro-shop and Doug is great and has been installing Campy for a while now.

I have all the tools except the bearing tools for ultra-torque. I did a short stint as a wrench, so I know this is not entirely rocket science. Just need to take my time to do it right and enjoy the experience. Nice to do something with my hands and use a different part of my brain.

In the meantime, my 8-speed friction on the DT alloy Campy equipped steel Colnago is getting me to work just fine.