PDA

View Full Version : victory following defeat (a.k.a my fitness sucks)

AngryScientist
05-29-2012, 06:50 AM
after my 2.5 week "death flu", my fitness appears to be in the toilet. one of the local climbs simply kicked my butt on Saturday morning. For the first time in forever, i had to bail off the bike in the middle of a climb, panting. embarrassing stuff. luckily i was alone. legs burning, lungs wanting gasping, heart wanting to pump out of my chest and through my eardrums.

this climb isnt that bad at all, and used to be no problem. damned death flu.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IRbHxRjOoUo/T8QLr6gLkmI/AAAAAAAAAfU/CzjbcaLGLgA/s640/5-26-12.jpg

took the day off Sunday, and drank a lot of beer. lot of bbq. one consequence of the death flu was losing 14 pounds, due to lack of appetite and laying off the booze. i figured that the lack of "lubrication" was what was keeping my from climbing my local hill. that must be it. keep the carbs coming - bring on the beer.

Monday morning, i set my ego aside and slapped on my lightest set of wheels, with my lowest available gearing. the pie plate. i hope no one sees. this is an embarrassing gear stack for the terrain ahead. no matter - off to the hills. thankfully - victory.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cY5mrLud7iU/T8QJo9mPi_I/AAAAAAAAAfE/Gw9_47LAp-I/s640/IMG_0766.JPG

the top!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3PBVS_TNf44/T8QJtqUE57I/AAAAAAAAAfM/i5Vl60nyM4M/s640/IMG_0767.JPG

fuzzalow
05-29-2012, 07:01 AM
That looks like fun. Don't fret, gearing down is not a crime.

You are lots tougher than me, anytime I get back on the bike after a layoff, I choose the smell-the-roses route. My fragile psyche can't yet handle the onslaught of unyielding terrain.

veloduffer
05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
We are not machines - nothing to be embarrassed about. "Some times you're the hammer. And some times you're the nail."

Where did you go - look like Valhalla in Montville?

Viper
05-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Things that can't be measured, mental effort, physical attempt of a comeback/return to a sport and enjoyment. It'd make sense your average speed and watts would be down. Logical as Spock would say. As for beer and cycling, there is too much of an affiliation and I personally don't see the connection. One or two after a ride? Sure.

Do you see fitness freaks at the gym, bodybuilders training really hard for two hours, only to go home and pound beers? I do not see the substance in beer-ism as related to cycling; the cycling scene, where wannabe Cat III racers do a New England or Mid-Atlantic event that is driven by beer, beer and more beer, makes a Giants football tailgate party, seem docile. New England cyclocross is an embarrassment and I'm sure Mid-Atlantic ain't much better. Where and when did cycling get hijacked by beer?

Less beer.
More fitness.

Good luck in your return to fitness.

FlashUNC
05-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Where and when did cycling get hijacked by beer?

Belgium. About a century ago.

Fixed
05-29-2012, 08:15 AM
alcohol is a drug, but we all know that
the reward at the finnish can be the motivation to finnish. spending recovery time with your cycling friends can leave you with lifelong memories and friendships .
imho
cheers

AngryScientist
05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
We are not machines - nothing to be embarrassed about. "Some times you're the hammer. And some times you're the nail."

Where did you go - look like Valhalla in Montville?

up waughaw, down valhalla. the good news is that waughaw rd is nice and shaded the whole way up, which is a plus when its near 90 F and super humid.

good times.

Viper
05-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Belgium. About a century ago.

America. We either invent things, perfect things, or ruin them. Not certain our non-pro cycling culture hasn't taken some things in the wrong direction. Pro? The American, Motorola team learned how to dope ala Belgian/Euro standards. Non-pro cats...I think, in my opinion, we glamorize beer.

When you have kegs, funnels and beer stands in the woods, during a cyclocross race, ya got issues. That's not a race, it's a farce and one that nearly every Cat 1, 2, 3 (or Cat 1-3 general for ladies) regional racer, who enters, will Facebook about how awesome the beerstands were (as they took 16th out of 30 riders). They all just want one thing, that photo of them, on the bike, covered in dirt. Cause Cross Rocks lol.

On topic AS: your bike was happy to see you. I don't believe in muscle-memory, but I do believe in memories.

With irony: :beer:

Fixed
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
I had not had a drink in 25years doc said it would kill me
But I just started cos I don't give a damn anymore
Do what makes you happy
Cheers :)

Viper
05-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I had not had a drink in 25years doc said it would kill me
But I just started cos I don't give a dame anymore
Do what makes you happy

Live long and prosper mi amigo.

To Angry Scientist's health. :beer:

PS: AS, I had a sinus infection for a month. As Ahnuld said, "You'll be back on da bike."

ultraman6970
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
At least you can blame something to your poor performance. I dont have that luxury :) I simply sucks :D

sworcester
05-29-2012, 10:03 AM
I always felt the victory was making it back home alive and able to cycle another day.

beeatnik
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Few things better in life than a couple IPAs after a 5 hour bike ride with 6000 feet of climbing.

Viper, my body fat % is 4. I used to be a gym rat/freak and although I had 17 inch biceps and 43 inch chest, I could never get my body fat in the single digits. I was pretty hardcore. All about the nutrition and the protein drinks. Alcohol once a week, if that. Now, I weigh 40 pounds less, drink a beer after almost every ride and my resting heart rate is probably 20bpm lower than during my crazy P90X days. Only issue: I've had to get alterations on all my suits.

Cycling be better than weight training (for me at least).

Cycling followed by a nice alcoholic beverage be the best.

benitosan1972
05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Good job coming back Scientist!
Mind > matter & baby steps, at least you tried.

As for beer, a post-ride treat if you've earned it IMO,
if you're downing a few at 6am or with your cereal, Houston we have a problem.

MattTuck
05-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Nice job Nick. I know how you feel, although it wasn't because of a sickness, I just suck. Climbing a hill on Sunday I hit a new high heart rate for me. I stopped probably 10 times, pedal 100 yards, stop and let my heart calm down. I'm the absolute bottom of the leaderboard on strava for that.

Your fitness will come back!

tuxbailey
05-29-2012, 12:12 PM
At least you can blame something to your poor performance. I dont have that luxury :) I simply sucks :D

+1

I did a 42 miles ride yesterday and I felt like I was the one being BBQ on Memorial Day.

54ny77
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
hey bud for what it's worth i've been off bike for about 2.5-3 years and am now slowly easing back into it. it's been a painful journey back, but a good one. have several k more miles and lots of pounds to go.

i've learned to totally leave the ego at the door and enjoy the ride. if i can go reasonably fast sometimes, great, and if not, oh well. my fast buddies tell me i look like a fred, but yes they still ride with me. best part is next big ride i'm thinking of showing up in an obnoxious primal wear kit, leg hair and all. ;)

sometimes top fitness just ain't in the cards. maybe you got sick during a period which you'd otherwise be racing, during which you might have had a serious accident. look at it as good karma just saved your bacon. that has a funny way of working itself out, believe me.

besides, higher level fitness will come eventually.

merlinmurph
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, 14 lbs, that's the Lance method of losing weight. :)

Yup, it sucks, but just be glad you're on the bike again - and able to have fun with your kid(s) again.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

zap
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
took the day off Sunday, and drank a lot of beer. lot of bbq. one consequence of the death flu was losing 14 pounds, due to lack of appetite and laying off the booze.

Assuming you had some fitness before the bug and you are back to full health, you will be flying up those hills in the next day or two.

Nooch
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
post ride chocolate milk, for me..

anyhow, nick, glad you're feeling better!!

Viper
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM

anyhow, nick, glad you're feeling better!!

Dude tell me where. I'll bring the animal crackers, no joke!

:chocolate milk:

bcm119
05-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Things that can't be measured, mental effort, physical attempt of a comeback/return to a sport and enjoyment. It'd make sense your average speed and watts would be down. Logical as Spock would say. As for beer and cycling, there is too much of an affiliation and I personally don't see the connection. One or two after a ride? Sure.

Do you see fitness freaks at the gym, bodybuilders training really hard for two hours, only to go home and pound beers? I do not see the substance in beer-ism as related to cycling; the cycling scene, where wannabe Cat III racers do a New England or Mid-Atlantic event that is driven by beer, beer and more beer, makes a Giants football tailgate party, seem docile. New England cyclocross is an embarrassment and I'm sure Mid-Atlantic ain't much better. Where and when did cycling get hijacked by beer?

Less beer.
More fitness.

Good luck in your return to fitness.

I'll venture a guess at the affiliation between beer and cycling: us cyclists are generally a pretty OCD bunch, and we tend to enjoy the relaxing effects of alcohol a bit more than the average person. A beer or 3 after a long ride allows us to shift mental gears more quickly and thoroughly, from OCD/cycling mode to reflective, relaxed, job-well-done mode. A healthy thing all around IMO.

67-59
05-29-2012, 02:21 PM

I've been getting into post-ride chocolate peanut butter (Justin's or PB & Co.). Yum.....

Bob Loblaw
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Good on ya, AS. It will come back. Part of it is the heat too I'm sure.

Also, I like good beer. I drink probably a six pack every three months, but when I have one o two, I always get the good stuff and it's almost always Belgian or a reasonable imitation.

Beer, coffee, bikes, music, do whatever floats your boat, as long as its in moderation. Although I can't seem to achieve moderation in bicycles. :beer:

BL

slidey
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Hmm...if I were in similar circumstances I'd be calling myself a total ass for doing a 50+mi ride after such a debilitating illness. I take time getting back into my groove or even in aerobic shape after being ill for such a long time.

Having said that, every one's different...just don't push yourself within Week 1 after feeling better. The key is to keep feeling better and stronger, not fall sick soon after.

Safe riding :)

thinpin
05-29-2012, 05:20 PM
AS, man you were crook if you lost 14lbs. Give your body time too heal. Enjoy your riding. Saunter along like you own the place.
Im still recovering after a viral illness in January! I've now written the winter (here) off to just keeping a base ticking over. Pushing things does not appear to work. Yesterday only managed 45km slowly as I had not recoverd from a flat 65km on Sunday. That is testing my patience I'll tell you.

Take it easy.

AgilisMerlin
05-30-2012, 07:26 AM
enjoying the ups and downs

Fixed
05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
In two weeks you will be stronger than you were before the illness IMHO
Drink a lot while you ride

rice rocket
05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Thankfully no one here runs LESS than a 28 unless they're He-man. No one can pass judgment unless they've ridden in this area. :)

Good job, there's nothing like kicking ass on the same hill you struggled with earlier.

Viper
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
This thread has me thinking about chocolate milk. Also, I run a 13-29 so AngryScientist, make fun of me too, but that's not just any 13-39 cassette...it's Campy. :)

So many people focus on cycling and understood, hey it is a cycling forum...but more than this, many if not all of us are athletes. Athletes. Not just dudes or dudettes who ride a bike...and when you hand an athlete a dose of crap, or some crazy death flu from The Stand, the athlete, he or she, will contest losing, tend to their game, find a way to get er' done and win the contest.

ath·lete (thlt)
n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

[Middle English, from Latin thlta, from Greek thlts, contestant, from thlein, to contend, possibly from thlos, contest.]

:chocolatemilk:

laupsi
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I did the Tour of Tucker Co., WV on Saturday. No less than 6,800' of climbing in 54 miles. The last climb was 4.8 miles long w/an average grade of 14%. The first 1.5 miles of the last climbed averaged 20%, yes 20%! The course was shaped like a lolly pop, w/the last climb completed one time. Temperature was 85 F at the start w/about 90% humidity, no breeze to speak of.

I registered for the 40+ category initially, it was "only" 37 miles and given my recent confidence and heightened fitness I opted to switch to the 3/4 category, hence the 54 mile length. I am a life long cat 3.

we did 2 loops approximately 23 miles long, each w/2 very significant climbs, long and steep averaging around 8%. me and my fitness got dropped on the first lap, 2nd climb. I just couldn't hold the pace. I rode along w/another dropped rider and as we approached the 2nd lap I found myself alone, dropped again on a climb, this one the 1st of the 2nd lap and rode 20 miles solo, and in much pain and in a methodical but focused trance. "just keep pedaling, you've never not finished a race"

there was no general feed and only a few had the means to have someone give them a bottle, I was not that fortunate. I ran out of water and food, had 3 bottles and 3 gu's total, during the last section of the last lap before the giant climb at the finish.

as I approached that last climb I spotted other riders from the same race just ahead of me w/the closest one at about 50 meters. right away I was in my 25, yes it was all I had, and my hams and back went into an immediate spasm. I tried to stand but couldn't my legs had none of it. when I tried to sit back in my saddle to stretch my back I lost rhythm and almost came off the bike, this ocurred several times. my speed on the 20% grade was 3 mph, and due to the narrow road I couldn't cut a "zig/zag" to gain momentum.

as I kept riding I passed a rider who was apparently wiser than me, he was off his bike, white as a sheet and hung over his top tube. when I asked if he was okay, he responded by getting back on his bike, he pedaled past me.

about 20 minutes into the climb I managed to "get by" the hardest 20% grade and found myself still slugging away at about 60 rpms on the less steep 14% grade. it was at this point that I found myself numb. doubting I was ever going to finish I ramped up my pace and used the slight course repreive to actually pass the rider just ahead. I am assuming that by this point I was so used to powering the 25 and w/most other riders having a 27 and higher I couldn't help but generate a little bit of speed.

in the end I passed about 4 riders on the final section of the climb and finished in just under 3hrs 44mins, w/the leaders finishing in just under 3 hrs. I later learned that only one of the 5 guys I passed ended up finishing the race. the others had to be "rescued". either way I was way down in the standings and in awe at how anyone could have done this course in under 3.5hrs let alone do it in under 3.

when my wife finally found me at the finish w/our car, (she had left after the start), I was in another rider's car, he was kind enough to give me water and he had is AC blasting, I tried to get up and actually blacked out. it took me about 2 mins to fially come to, I was totally whacked by my effort.

it is now Wednesday and I am still suffering from this effort. I feel like my head is full of cotton. I cannot remember things I did or said this morning and I feel like a feeble old man, and much older than my 47 years, much more humbled by this experience too.

AngryScientist
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
This thread has me thinking about chocolate milk.

i just went to lunch. you're damned right i washed down my sandwich with a delicious chocolate milk this afternoon.