PDA

View Full Version : OT: Big Green Egg

jasond
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I know this thing doesn't get much love here due to price however I ended up picking up a large one this weekend. My wife and I went to a stove shop in our area and they were giving 10% off from what was already a decent price plus gave us a bag of charcoal.

We immediately bought some lumber and went to work the next morning building a table. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

We cooked on it tonight and I haven't had meat like this cooked on a grill for quite some time. Now we are caught up looking up everything we can cook.

So much for all that work I did in the gym during the off season.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7240/7290917074_b5cb4cb965_z.jpg

rwsaunders
05-28-2012, 07:18 PM
That hydrogen bomb looks like a lot of fun....nothing but accolades on the web about the egg. Fish tacos grilled on the Weber this evening at RW's house.

Jaq
05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Congrats.

Andrewlcox
05-28-2012, 08:23 PM
I've always wanted one of those.

Enjoy.

jghall
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Friend has one, great grill.

Steve in SLO
05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...just my size!

Birddog
05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a large BGE for the main place and a smaller Primo for the vacation place. it doesn't get any better than that. Practically everything that comes off those grills gets the comment "best I've ever had". Welcome to Kamado cooking. Nice table BTW.

bozman
05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
crossjunkee has one and loves it. we have cooked all sorts of deliciousness in it. I am living vicariously through him until I can convince Mrs. bozman that we need one, too.

GuyGadois
05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Love mine. They are awesome cookers. Try a pizza, fun and easy.

GG

esldude
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Best steaks too on those things. You can cook the steak thoroughly at high temp with a quick char exterior and not dry it out at all. Great for fish, almost anything. If you haven't gotten one yet, get the electric starter.

Ken Robb
05-28-2012, 10:24 PM
COSTCO has something very much like this with stainless cart for $550.

pdmtong
05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I got my medium BGE at costco...evidently there was a surplus of mediums so costco scarfed them up...to my benefit

sokyroadie
05-29-2012, 05:04 AM
I have had mine for over 10 years and it is still as good as new - they may be pricey but they will last a lifetime. I built an almost identical table.

Enjoy,

Jeff

gearguywb
05-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Just picked up a used large last week from a friend. Tried a chicken over mesquite wood...delicious. Need to learn more about it though. wood vs. charcoal, best way to light, etc.

jasond
05-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Agreed, it does look a little like a hydrogen bomb.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am by no means a carpenter so the table could have came out better however for my skill level its not bad. I foresee myself building another one with better wood years down the road. Someday I'll buy some real power tools to make things easier also.

The fact that it's going to last my lifetime or at least has a lifetime warranty made the purchase price easier to swallow.

Fixed
05-29-2012, 09:31 AM
My pool supply store sells them
I pretty much live outside as I don' use air conditioning most of the year
Nice deck and outside cooking area ,having family and friends over feeding them = contentment for all :)
Cheers

oldguy00
05-29-2012, 09:38 AM
We recently bought the Vision brand version of the BGE:

http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-classic/

I looked at it, and the BGE side by side, and just couldn't detect much diff. at all. And the vision came with the nest, shelves and cover. If money were no object, I might have gotten the BGE, but for half price (599 from Costco) incl. accessories, couldn't pass on the Vision.

Anyway, we've used it about 6 times, and I freakin love it!

We've done steaks at 650 degrees, low and slow ribs at 285 for 4+ hours, etc. And it goes through less charcoal than my old weber. If you can afford either the Vision, or the BGE, you won't be disappointed, and will likely be the last BBQ you'll ever have to buy.

bigflax925
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
The table you built looks great.

I have an XL Egg and use it almost every night during the summer. We have ours built into the rock work in our outdoor kitchen area.

I use either mesquite chunks or hardwood charcoal exclusively. Makes for great flavor and easier cleanup.

Birddog
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
The BGE, Primo, and Grill Dome brands have been around for awhile. I wouldn't hesitate buying any of the 3. The other knockoffs give me pause however since they are made for outfits like Costco, Lowes etc. I would hate to have $500 or more in one and not be able to buy parts unless some of the BGE or other cos parts will work. The best knockoff that I have seen is at Academy Sports and I think it was just around $300, at that price it might be worth the risk. I would avoid the one at Lowes that looks similar but is made of double wall steel. Lowes other one is ceramic. If they aren't ceramic, they won't cook the same IMO.

I've found that the best way to start the lump charcoal is with a chimney. I use a Weber. I can have the grill up to 600* ready to sear steaks in about 25 mins. I buy my lump at WalMart, the Royal Oak brand. it's the best bang for the buck. Occasionally, you get a bum bag, but it is cheap and does the job. There is actually a website that compares lump and rates their findings. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

cosmonaut
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm seriously considering getting one of these. Glad everyone seems to like them so much.
Now I just have to get past the cost.

jasond
05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
having family and friends over feeding them = contentment for all :)
Cheers

Couldn't agree more.

We recently bought the Vision brand version of the BGE:

Looks like a quality grill and has a lifetime warranty. Sounds like you can't go wrong and seems like you are enjoying it so money well spent.

The table you built looks great.

Thank you!

There is actually a website that compares lump and rates their findings. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I actually found the directions to build the table on this site. Really well drawn out directions too.

Viper
05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Applause for the table you and the wife constructed.

:cheer:

jasond
05-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Applause for the table you and the wife constructed.

:cheer:

Thanks Viper. My wife and I actually had a really great weekend doing this project.

oldguy00
05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
The BGE, Primo, and Grill Dome brands have been around for awhile. I wouldn't hesitate buying any of the 3. The other knockoffs give me pause however since they are made for outfits like Costco, Lowes etc. I would hate to have $500 or more in one and not be able to buy parts unless some of the BGE or other cos parts will work. The best knockoff that I have seen is at Academy Sports and I think it was just around $300, at that price it might be worth the risk. I would avoid the one at Lowes that looks similar but is made of double wall steel. Lowes other one is ceramic. If they aren't ceramic, they won't cook the same IMO.

I've found that the best way to start the lump charcoal is with a chimney. I use a Weber. I can have the grill up to 600* ready to sear steaks in about 25 mins. I buy my lump at WalMart, the Royal Oak brand. it's the best bang for the buck. Occasionally, you get a bum bag, but it is cheap and does the job. There is actually a website that compares lump and rates their findings. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

The vision is a full ceramic. I get what you are saying about buying copies, etc., but it seems identical. Good amount of reviews online, youtube videos, etc. as well. And the fact that I was able to buy it at costco made me feel more secure, because it is so easy to return anything to Costco.
The only real accessory for these things which can be size specific seems to be the place setter, but each brand seems to have a solution for it.

Again, if money were no object.... But a lot of people are scared off by the $1000 - 1300+ price tag of the BGE (depending on what nest, shelves, etc you buy with it).
Regardless, these things make amazing food.

Ken Robb
05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
25 years ago I had a kamado (Spelling?) from Japan. It was great for roasting/smoking but I could not get a charred steak with a red center. After a few years various interior parts like the ceramic rings that supported the fire grate and food grate crumbled. It sounds like there has been an improvement in the ancillary parts of the new models.

oldguy00
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
25 years ago I had a kamado (Spelling?) from Japan. It was great for roasting/smoking but I could not get a charred steak with a red center. After a few years various interior parts like the ceramic rings that supported the fire grate and food grate crumbled. It sounds like there has been an improvement in the ancillary parts of the new models.

Surprised you were not able to get your steak like that. I've had no trouble so far, knock on wood. Very simple - take the kamado up to about 650 degrees. Put steak on main grill, direct heat, close the lid, leave both grates (bottom and top) open. Turn steak after 3 - 4 minutes, then remove after another 4 minutes. Charred outside, pink inside. If I wanted more rare, I'd just cut off a minute per side.
Cheers

gmonster
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Or you can thank me later, but if you want to learn to be an expert on the smoker; then follow the link on this site:

http://seriousandstylish.com/2012/02/15/the-virtual-weber-bullet-where-real-bbq-begins/

I agree that Chris Allingham is a Smoker GOD -- and his site, The Virtual Weber Bullet, tells you everything you need to know -- from selecting the meat -- to controling the temp... even has video & recipies.

Go ahead and thank me now, but really you should thank Chris....

Ken Robb
05-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Surprised you were not able to get your steak like that. I've had no trouble so far, knock on wood. Very simple - take the kamado up to about 650 degrees. Put steak on main grill, direct heat, close the lid, leave both grates (bottom and top) open. Turn steak after 3 - 4 minutes, then remove after another 4 minutes. Charred outside, pink inside. If I wanted more rare, I'd just cut off a minute per side.
Cheers

It seemed that the distance from the coals to the only position for the food grate was too big so the direct heat vs. convection wasn't enough and the steak baked as much as it broiled. It sure was wonderful for roasting Cornish Game Hens stuffed with orange peels though especially when I added a soy/honey glaze near the end.

tiretrax
05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
BGE is the greatest I've used. It makes amazing ribs and brisket, as well as anything else you want to cook in it.

jasond
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
BGE is the greatest I've used. It makes amazing ribs and brisket, as well as anything else you want to cook in it.

They actually make a fire ring that is half of the size of the supplied fire ring which drops the cooking grid even closer to the flame to get a good sear.

Ken Robb
05-29-2012, 10:12 PM
They actually make a fire ring that is half of the size of the supplied fire ring which drops the cooking grid even closer to the flame to get a good sear.
Not available in my time with the egg. Dropping down into the tapered egg would have limited the area of the food grill quite a bit in my old unit but it would probably have been sufficient for the amount of steak I could afford. :)

Tony T
05-30-2012, 07:10 AM
BGE Owners: If you haven't already, check out http://www.biggreenegg.com/
and http://eggheadforum.com/