PDA

View Full Version : Serotta T Max

beungood
09-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Anyone own or have experience with Serotta's Mountain bikes? Specifically the T-Max? Good frame?

dbrk
09-11-2005, 07:35 AM
From about 1993-96 I rode a T-Max steel mountain bike and lots on hard trails around Lake Placid, NY. During these years I had an excellent student who was also a great mtn bike rider (geez, what skills this kid had...plus a sensational mechanic, still a very good friend) and he was so enthusiastic about mtn riding that I took it up. Honestly, I only liked it riding with him. Otherwise it was a personal disaster, being a 70s bike boom geek. I went through a few Bstone MB-1s and a fabled Zip and then came to the Serotta. It was originally some truly horrible neon paint job so Serotta repainted it and I rode it as hard as I could. It was stable, a great handler on technical stuff and quick turns, and overall about as pleasurable as a mtn bike can be for me (which is to say, my palJohn graduated, I sold the bike and if I never go mtn biking again, well, I won't miss it). The bike was rigid fork from Serotta, no suspension, and it was by everyone's account an excellent ride. I was told by the mtn geeks that it was especially good as an "eastern" bike where the trails are technical rather than the long expanses of single track out west. But I have no idea what that would really mean. I suppose this ancient T-Max may have little to do with anything more recent.

So, as for for the T-Max, the consensus was alllll positive. Contemporary mtn bikes look to me like motorcycles with pedals.

dbrk

beungood
09-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I saw a frame for short money and it has a front suspension on it. I prefer road ,but, thought as weather get's lousy I could do a little offroading with it. Wasnt sure weather to go with a hard tail or full susp. Thought between MTb and possibly cyclocross I could get through late fall an winter.. :bike:

Dekonick
09-11-2005, 01:52 PM
saw the same frame on ebay - 17" right?

too small for me but it looked like a bargain.

Velociotis
09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I won it. My apologies to others if they were bidding.

But, it's coming back east to it's hometown, I'm counting on it helping me on this technical stuff!

Spouse doesn't know yet. Hmmm, how shall I couch this one...

beungood
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
One serotta, two serottae?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won it. My apologies to others if they were bidding.

But, it's coming back east to it's hometown, I'm counting on it helping me on this technical stuff!

Spouse doesn't know yet. Hmmm, how shall I couch this one..."

William grab your Bolo's and grease paint, Im getting my BDU's on and Camoing up..... Im e-MAILING YOUR WIFE VELO! :argue:

Velociotis
09-11-2005, 08:38 PM
beungood-

May I interest you in a wicked light & fast cannondale f900? I don't know about william but I'm gonna guess that you're no bigger than I am....

I've decided to let my wife just find the box on the front porch.