PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hiking in a cycling jersey - Geek or not?

William
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
So am I in the minority? A cycling Jersey for light hiking?

Went hiking with the William family today. It was great fun to spend time out in the woods communing with nature. Though, since it was quite warm I decided to wear a light colored cycling jersey. It wicks the sweat away, keeps me cool, and I can load things in the pockets so I don't have to carry them. The down side was I caught no end of ribbing from my family about looking like a cycling geek on the trail. Hey, I thought it was a good idea!:)

Geek or no?:D

William

Louis
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
North Face Crew: Link (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-havoc-crew.html)

(It does come in other colors.)

http://images.thenorthface.com/is/image/TheNorthFace/790x790/mens-havoc-crew-AXQM_RS0_hero.jpg

Viper
05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I say...hiking offers you the opportunity to wear the thing you know, deepdown, you are dying to bust out: your Wolf Tee Shirt. Nobody wants to buy a wolf tee, but everyone wants one. It's one of those things you're not supposed to buy for yourself.

Whisper to the wife that ya know, maybe for your birthday you want one of these:

http://shop.themountain.me/wolf/?gclid=CNemqNnoobACFYFo4AodViIoaQ

AngryScientist
05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
my jerseys just arent cut to be worn standing up and walking around, the front is short, and the back is long.

base layers on the other hand - i wear them all the time.

Viper
05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
my jerseys just arent cut to be worn standing up and walking around, the front is short, and the back is long.

base layers on the other hand - i wear them all the time.

http://cyclingbaselayer.com/compression-shirt-wolf-printing-base-layer-skin-tights-top-gear-cyclingbaselayer/

:banana:

Mr. Squirrel
05-27-2012, 09:00 PM
dear mr. william,
it sounds like a wonderful place for me to place my nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

rdparadise
05-27-2012, 09:10 PM
William:

Sorry buddy but I vote Geek. Synthetic baselayers or other poly, drifit type jerseys would be great. In a cycling jersey for hiking; that's just geekly yo!

Bob

verticaldoug
05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
If you go hiking with the family, you should wear a cotton t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops just to keep it fair.

monkeybanana86
05-28-2012, 02:29 AM
dear mr. william,
it sounds like a wonderful place for me to place my nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

are all of your 400+ posts squirrel related? you're nuts but it's entertaining

A1CKot
05-28-2012, 03:03 AM
I do some long runs in a cycling jersey. I can keep all my stuff in my back pockets and unzip for a little extra ventilation.

holliscx
05-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Not geeky at all so long as you carry your iPhone in a leather case that clips on your belt.

Litespeed_Mike
05-28-2012, 09:15 AM
"You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!"

I say...hiking offers you the opportunity to wear the thing you know, deepdown, you are dying to bust out: your Wolf Tee Shirt. Nobody wants to buy a wolf tee, but everyone wants one. It's one of those things you're not supposed to buy for yourself.

Whisper to the wife that ya know, maybe for your birthday you want one of these:

http://shop.themountain.me/wolf/?gclid=CNemqNnoobACFYFo4AodViIoaQ

yoshirider
05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
i'll ride my bike to play volleyball at a local community college sometimes and i'll play with my pink cycling jersey on. i dont give a damn about what other ppl think

beercan
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM
i'll ride my bike to play volleyball at a local community college sometimes and i'll play with my pink cycling jersey on. i dont give a damn about what other ppl think

this ! but nothing wrong with being a GEEK as well!

benitosan1972
05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I vote not geek.

My lifestyle is tailored around those 3 rear pockets everywhere I go.

Leftside carries gum and snack.
Middle carries wallet and cash.
Rightside carries iPhone.

You'd be geek if you carried a pump, patch kit, and CO2 for *hiking* :banana:

*that's ok too*

bluesea
05-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Its technical gear, so hiking okay.

Otoh with full cycling gear I can barely (and rarely) walk into a store, juice bar, what-have-you without feeling out of place. I don't ride to eat, I ride to ride. I'm a cyclist and even for me its practically offensive seeing other riders sashaying about in-costume. Its friggen gross.

Earl Gray
05-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I voted "not a bad idea" but was assuming you you meant a baggy mtb jersey.

I tight roadie jersey would be a loser move.

rounder
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I would have said geek. But recently i havs been coming back from rides where the next thing on my list was to cut the grass. Have been putting on shorts but still wear the jersey...it wicks, looks ok to me, and why change to another jersey that also goes into the wash. I wear my jersey affter the ride to do other stuff.

echelon_john
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow--18 replies and nobody posted the Lampre guy yet! This place has really cleaned itself up. :banana:

killacks
05-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure hiking is for geeks anyway, so...yes!

gmonster
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I vote "not a geek" -- as I use the back pockets all the time to carry keys and cell phone while hiking... In fact, I wear my camel-bak while hiking so why not my jersey as well.

Plus, Road Holland (www.roadholland.com) makes a jersey with a polo collar, so after the hike (and at the bar) no one knows it's a bike jersey unless they view you from the rear...

http://roadholland.com/shop/images/products/rhm-004-07.jpg

Fixed
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Wear what you want big guy no one is going to argue with you
Cheers :)

bobswire
05-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Loose fitting older style polyester or wool make nice hiking shirts with the pockets and zippers as opposed to T shirts or tight neck shirts. :banana:

I've two I use especially for riding a bike to a trail head then hiking in Yosemite or just hiking in the bay area (extra pockets are a good thing).

http://i48.tinypic.com/2m76fjm.jpg

merlinmurph
05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Avid hiker here. Wearing cycling jerseys any place other than while cycling is total geekness. A jersey looks bad enough even while riding, never mind when it's worn out of context.

And for those who think you look pretty good in your cycling duds - you don't. :eek:

That's my 2 cents - You asked for it. :)

Enjoy your ride (or hike),
Murph

MattTuck
05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
This seems like an interview question for those interested in the positions of Style man or the Bike Snob...

But I'll weigh in.

Cycling jerseys are purposefully designed for cycling. The way the it is cut, the location of the pockets, the zipper, etc. are all put there for a specific cycling related purpose.

Can you wear it while you hike? sure! but it wasn't designed for it. If you start wearing a pack, I bet the back pockets will become uncomfortable. There are plenty of shirts out there designed for hiking that can be gotten on the cheap, or that you already have.

I will add that hiking, like most sports and activities, is time and effort dependent. The harder your effort and/or longer you are doing the activity, the more important it is to have good equipment/proper attire. Out for a 3 mile walk through the local conservation land, it probably doesn't matter what you wear; out for a 20 mile trek across a mountain range in questionable weather, carrying a loaded pack... well, different story.

Long story short, don't be worried about style, worry about function.

Hawker
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
While I'll like Road Holland's quality and their effort to produce a looser fitting and less ostentatious jersey...I just can't figure the models they offer with collars?

Sorry, but they look way dorky to me.

Fixed
05-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Keeps the sun off the back of the neck
Collars match the cuff :eek:

tuxbailey
05-29-2012, 03:19 PM
FWIW, I have worn bike jerseys to the group exercise class in the gym....:p

cp43
05-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Good ideas and Geeky ideas are not mutually exclusive, I voted for both.

A buddy of mine hiked Half Dome last summer wearing a Harpoon Brewery jersey. He got many comments on what a great idea it was. No comments we heard were about it being bike geeky, but that doesn't mean no one thought it.

Chris