PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: North Face, North, Ryder and a Burger

Viper
05-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Ryder's TT inspired many people. As they'd say in Canada, "Nice job, eh?". Very tidy work by Mr. Hesjedal, a name we'll be hearing for years to come. I found my North Face baselayer. The word, "north" being the closest thing I own to Canadian reference. I don't spend a lot of money on baselayers, if it does the job with sweat, great. Today was the maiden voyage with the new Oakley Jawbones. A quick can of Coke and off I went.

My plan was a TT on the strip, at the beach. Ryder's effort pushed me to think, "I can double my effort here. Do it twice. You love the heat, the sun, so go." I saw nephew # 3. He's the youngest of the three and he's become a badminton addict. He made his own, official jersey yesterday and he's very proud of it.

First stop was the golf course. It's where my friend and I played over fifty rounds together. He is gone, killed in a car accident, but I took a moment to unclip at the 7th hole. It's a short par 4, slight dogleg right. The drunken mutts who were playing it took out drivers and smashed it. I play a three-wood, fade, then a nine iron cut shot, onto a very small green. Maybe I'll play next weekend, need a bit more practice.

The area has a nice off-road trail. There's a wooded area, many acres of MTB trails. The road is typically filled with Subarus and SUV's. I cruised down to the beach, which was packed, cars waiting to get in. I stopped under the pavillion and made an adjustment to my seatpost. Up about 1.25cm. I've had it low, on purpose. My knees, oddly enough, tend to like lower, but I am not happy with my form uphill, spinning. I watched Ivan Basso yesterday and thought, "My hip flexors and glutes need to do more work uphill, when seated." I made the change, marked the post first, with a marker pen and headed down to The Strip. I nearly dropped my water bottle, reaching down to put it back in place, as the cage is now in a 'different' spot. Amazing what a small change to the saddle position can do.

Funny assortment of old chairs someone put under the pavillion. The arranged seats, face to face, are nice and reminded me of William Shatner's Talk Show; Shatner has two chairs arranged as such and interviews as only he can.

I placed my hands onto the drops and did my best TT. Afterwards, I passed by a few Garage Sales. My town is a hotbed for garage sales during the summer. I purposely wanted to find some hills so I headed out to the next beach and sure enough, uphill, seated, my hip flexors had room to work, weren't scrunched and my legs made more effective circles.

At the beach I was happy to see a female lifeguard. I sat on that same exact tower for many years. Everyone used to ask, "Did you have to save anyone?". Bad lifeguards have to save people, great lifeguards stop a rescue situation before it starts. It's the same advice I gave the lifeguard today. I'm still a lifeguard. Retired. A few grays. But still, I love the beach, the water and took guarding seriously.

The smell of BBQ's was intense. Everywhere I went, sniff, sniff, burgers, steaks and dogs. Maybe I was imagining it, or not, but the cure was to stop at The Best deli in town. The owner is a legit chef and nothing he makes is bad. The store has some neat foods, things for sale that you don't see in local supermarkets. While waiting on line for my, "Bacon cheesebuger, medium rare, with cheddar cheese and please place ketchup onto the burger and fries", an older gentleman walked into the store. "You have a really nice bike out there. I was just admiring it with the wife. I used to ride all the time. Was one of the first of my friends to own a ten-speed. You don't see bikes like yours anymore." We chatted for a while and when the burger came out, off I went to chomp it down.

I'll have seafood tonight, salmon, mako and shrimp, so the burger was good timing. I soft-pedaled home. Needed to make 25 miles, anything less and it's not a bike ride, even if it was a TT day. Shower, shave and off to a BBQ. Enjoy your own parties and relaxing with friends and family. The Giro is over and we'll look ahead to the Tour Day France.

learningtoride
05-27-2012, 05:25 PM

rounder
05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Good ride report viper. I just went out and rode around for about 25 today. Found a turtle in the road, was gonna take him to the other side, but he was already hit, so placed him in tall grass. Other than that, it was the usual good ride stuff. Was riding around yesterday and found an official T-ball. We have a bunch of baseballs, so added it to the collection.

After awhile, realized that i did not remember what bike i was riding. It did not matter which bike, i just like riding around.

benitosan1972
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
i need to stop more and "smell the roses" (and take pictures) when i ride,
all i do now is press start on my Garmin, ride like a bat out of hell, get home,
press stop, plug in USB, upload data, check data, eat a banana... riding used to
be fun, thanks for reminding me that being outside means being in the world :)

TMB
05-27-2012, 10:30 PM
all i do now is press start on my Garmin, ride like a bat out of hell, get home,
press stop, plug in USB, upload data, check data, eat a banana... riding used to

Press start on the Garmin, then put it in your back pocket.

Earl Gray
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Viper get's it.

benitosan1972
05-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I blame my own Type A personality, but I also blame living in the Bay Area where the pace of life is faster... when I toured NY to LA, I had the best times riding thru the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, etc where I actually rode & experienced life à la Viper, that was fun & relaxing

jghall
05-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Good looking burger Viper. As a former lifeguard myself, never wanted to be put into that situation. As you said, pay attention and do your job first, and no worries.

cycle_chic
05-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Dibs on the Party Kitchen.

thwart
05-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh, that burger looks goo-oo-oo-ood...

veggieburger
05-28-2012, 07:41 AM
That was enjoyable. We need more stories like that! Thanks, eh!

Fixed
05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Nice photos makes me want a paddle board
Your bike looks great btw
Cheers

Fixed
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Very nice story
Heartfelt and touching
Cheers And thanks

Viper
05-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Dibs on the Party Kitchen.

Do you promise to make brownies for the Forum.*^ :)

* = and my vote is for brownies that are dense, not light, fluffy and cake-like. Though I prefer no nuts, I'm okay with them. Cold glass of whole milk. Brownie. Yummy.

^ = you could sell them in the Classified Section. Would Paypal immediately.

:beer:

cycle_chic
05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Do you promise to make brownies for the Forum.*^ :)

* = and my vote is for brownies that are dense, not light, fluffy and cake-like. Though I prefer no nuts, I'm okay with them. Cold glass of whole milk. Brownie. Yummy.

^ = you could sell them in the Classified Section. Would Paypal immediately.

:beer:

I must say, I make a mean brownie. ;)

nighthawk
05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I must say, I make a mean brownie. ;)

make me a NICE brownie! please.