PDA

View Full Version : ideas on 1in threadless stem

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't think this belongs in the classifieds because I am looking for information as much as the part so here goes.
I just bought a frame and hope to be building it up late next week (when the rest of the parts come in) but it's got a 1in threadless fork. Not a lot of 1in threadless stems floating around there and wonder if anyone has suggestions.
I did notice that Nasbar lists quite a few but whether or not they actually have them in stock is another matter. My plan is to use one of my many 1 1/8 stems so I can figure out what size I need before I go hunting for the real thing but my main concern is finding one that doesn't look big and bulky. I love quill stems but of course there's something to be said for the convienience of threadless. So.....anybody know where I can buy a 1in threadless stems that would look good on a early 2000's Tommasini steel frame?
(At this time I'm thinking that I will be looking for a 100 to 110 mm length, but again, I can check that for sure after I build the bike. I'm just going to set it up like my other three, one of which I got a fit with.

FlashUNC
05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
You can shim out a 1 1/8 stem to fit on a 1 in threadless fork.

Probably the cheapest and easiest route to go, especially if you're going to be trying lots of stems.

thinpin
05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Not the answer to your question exactly but...Assuming you have a steel tommasini frame and fork you can get threads cut into the steerer tube and use your beloved quill stems.

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
That is my plan to find out which size stem I need to buy as I must have 6 or more 1 &1/8in threadless stems in different lengths and angles, but I'm not really going for cheap here, I'm going for looks. The 1 &1/8 stems just look a little bulky IMO. Aesthetics is what I'm after, I'm sure anything I get will work just fine.You can shim out a 1 1/8 stem to fit on a 1 in threadless fork.

Probably the cheapest and easiest route to go, especially if you're going to be trying lots of stems.

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 05:01 PM
You know, I actually thought of that but I don't think the ID is the same. I might do a little more checking. I took one of my quill stems and it did not fit inside the threadless head tube and I quit investigating that angle.Not the answer to your question exactly but...Assuming you have a steel tommasini frame and fork you can get threads cut into the steerer tube and use your beloved quill stems.

Germany_chris
05-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I found a 1" Look Ti stem on ebay.co.uk a while back..they're there you just need to keep an eye out..

I would also hunt down some older 1" spacers. the newer spacers are thicker and look right with shimmed 1 1/8 stem but not so much with 1"..at least thats been my experience.

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks. If I go with a black stem I will probably make my own spacers. I have a small metal lathe that's great for this kind of stuff. It also lets me add a little bit of distinction to my bike which I like. I will look in completed auctions for that stem to see what it looks like.I found a 1" Look Ti stem on ebay.co.uk a while back..they're there you just need to keep an eye out..

I would also hunt down some older 1" spacers. the newer spacers are thicker and look right with shimmed 1 1/8 stem but not so much with 1"..at least thats been my experience.

rodcad
05-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I have a new IRD steel 1" stem but it's 120. I'll never use it and you can have it if you pay the shipping. It's titanium in color they called it. Pic on request.

monkeybanana86
05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
there's a guy who has a stash of kelly stems on ebay for real cheap. the popular sizes are starting to run out (wish I had gotten more).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelly-Handmade-Steel-Black-1-Threadless-26-0-Road-Stem-Available-In-80-140mm-/300714915586?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604017702#ht_3595wt_1282

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 08:58 PM
sorry but thanks I "know" 120 will be too longI have a new IRD steel 1" stem but it's 120. I'll never use it and you can have it if you pay the shipping. It's titanium in color they called it. Pic on request.

martinrjensen
05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I see that. That's probably gonna be my best bet. I just have to prioritize figuring out my stem length when I start the build up late next week now. I actually don't think that will be too hard because I am copying cockpit dimensions off a bike that I had a fit done on and all my saddles are identical. Most other equipment also. there's a guy who has a stash of kelly stems on ebay for real cheap. the popular sizes are starting to run out (wish I had gotten more).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelly-Handmade-Steel-Black-1-Threadless-26-0-Road-Stem-Available-In-80-140mm-/300714915586?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4604017702#ht_3595wt_1282

bigbill
05-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Eric at Winter Cycles makes custom stems in any finish and size.

oliver1850
05-27-2012, 09:56 PM
You might look for ITM Eclypse, if you like the tig welded look. They are steel, black, 2000ish vintage. In aluminum, I might have a gray Icon.

allenwhy
05-27-2012, 10:42 PM
I have a Ritchey stem with a shim on my with steel fork and recently sold Merlin with carbon fork and it doesn't look bulky in the slightest. I don't believe 1" threadless stems come in anything but 26.0 clamp but I may be wrong. That said the Nitto ones are the only nice ones I can think of.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't think this belongs in the classifieds because I am looking for information as much as the part so here goes.
I just bought a frame and hope to be building it up late next week (when the rest of the parts come in) but it's got a 1in threadless fork. Not a lot of 1in threadless stems floating around there and wonder if anyone has suggestions.
I did notice that Nasbar lists quite a few but whether or not they actually have them in stock is another matter. My plan is to use one of my many 1 1/8 stems so I can figure out what size I need before I go hunting for the real thing but my main concern is finding one that doesn't look big and bulky. I love quill stems but of course there's something to be said for the convienience of threadless. So.....anybody know where I can buy a 1in threadless stems that would look good on a early 2000's Tommasini steel frame?
(At this time I'm thinking that I will be looking for a 100 to 110 mm length, but again, I can check that for sure after I build the bike. I'm just going to set it up like my other three, one of which I got a fit with.

Lotsa shims around to make that 1 1/8 inch stem to a one inch. Pretty much standard when threadless and 1 1/8inch was just getting started...

spacemen3
05-28-2012, 08:11 AM
The Cinelli Sesamo was 1". Otherwise, older 1-1/8" stems like the Mutant, Zepp, Millenium, THE, etc. look pretty decent on steel bikes.

martinrjensen
05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, i have to say I got a ton of good information here. It should not surprise me. Everytime I ask a question here I get great information! Thanks all. Pics of the bike when done. Right now all I have is a frame leaning up against the basement TV set....

Vientomas
05-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I wanted a 100mm 1 inch threadless stem for a new build. I bought 140mm Kelly stem off ebay and a Paragon Machine Works handle bar clamp - 31.8. I had the stem cut and the clamp tig welded on. I ended up with a stem 100mm in length with a 10 degree + or - rise/drop.

After completing the build and trying a couple of stems, I settled on a 90mm 10 degree drop stem. As a result, I don't need the 1 inch threadless 100mm stem.

If you are interested, I would be willing to part with it for a reasonable sum.

ultraman6970
05-29-2012, 12:09 AM
No idea if you found the answer but one little detail. What's the handlebar you are going to put in the bike??? 26 mm or oversize? asking because not many good looking 1 inch with oversize clamp moving around. Probably none.

For example cinelli alter, awesome good looking stem for 1 inch threadless forks but the issue is that doesnt come with an oversize clamp. So then you have to find a good looking handlebar to match it.

What I would do is to find the handlebar you want and then the stem. In 1 1/8 you have a lot more choices of good looking stems than in 1 inch.

Hope this helps.

EricEstlund
05-29-2012, 12:21 AM
1" threadless/ 31.8

http://www.winterbicycles.com/wp-content/gallery/mix-n-max-hotrod/mm10.jpg

No shims needed!

wallymann
05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
ITM eclypse, Cinelli Pinoccio, 3ttt Pro-Chrome...take your pick!

ps. those are the quill-stem model names, each offered a threadless equivalent with a different name.

Fixed
05-29-2012, 09:11 AM

I have a new looking salsa but it is 120 if you can use let me know
Cheers

martinrjensen
06-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Heres' a pic of the finished product with the stem I picked up (Kelly 1inch steel 100mm 90 degree). I posted this in pictures in the Production pictures forum group so I won't go on too much about it here but I want to again thank everybody for their input. I am happy with the outcome now and it was all from everyone's help here.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/martinrjensen/Bike%20Tommasini/012.jpg

monkeybanana86
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
great looking ride!

steel is real

martinrjensen
06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks and of course, thanks for the tip on the Kelly stems! That's one I picked up and I am pretty happy with it.great looking ride!

steel is real

JLP
06-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Chrome fork just makes this.

martinrjensen
06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
yea, it's kind of growing on me. so i think test ride today, if the rain stays away for a couple hoursChrome fork just makes this.

Rueda Tropical
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
NOS 3ttt Mutant or Cinelli Alter stems. 3ttt Pro Chrome was made as 1" thread less as well as quill but they are hard to find. All of these would have 26.0 clamps (I have a 3ttt Pro Chrome with a 25.4 clamp made for ATB use).

martinrjensen
06-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I gotta say, that's a gorgeous stem. I' m looking for a 1in to 26mm though, and actually the Kelly stem I found is pretty decent looking. Not as nice as this one though...1" threadless/ 31.8

http://www.winterbicycles.com/wp-content/gallery/mix-n-max-hotrod/mm10.jpg

No shims needed!