PDA

View Full Version : 25mm tire recommendation

SteveV0983
05-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I know this tends to get beat to death, but there are always new experiences that are welcome, so here goes.....

I'm considering 25mm tires for a new build. I weigh 180 and have been riding Fortezza TriComps for the past several years and really like them. But I keep getting intrigued by everyone mentioning how much more comfortable the 25s are (by the way, I live in Florida where we have no hills, and ride for enjoyment only - no racing). Many people like the Conti GP4000s but I have never seen so many experiences on forums where the entire sidewall of the tire blows out like I have with these. It's such a recurring theme that I have become wary of them. Many also like the Vittoria Rubino Pro III, but they don't seem to get as good high marks on riding in the wet. The TriComps are amazing in the wet and you just cannot avoid afternoon downpours in Florida.

Any other good suggestions? And what about the GP4000s blow-outs? Should I really be afraid of these tires? Thanks for any feedback.

Spin71
05-27-2012, 02:47 PM
The answer is always Vittoria Open C 25's

fatallightning
05-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I know this tends to get beat to death, but there are always new experiences that are welcome, so here goes.....

I'm considering 25mm tires for a new build. I weigh 180 and have been riding Fortezza TriComps for the past several years and really like them. But I keep getting intrigued by everyone mentioning how much more comfortable the 25s are (by the way, I live in Florida where we have no hills, and ride for enjoyment only - no racing). Many people like the Conti GP4000s but I have never seen so many experiences on forums where the entire sidewall of the tire blows out like I have with these. It's such a recurring theme that I have become wary of them. Many also like the Vittoria Rubino Pro III, but they don't seem to get as good high marks on riding in the wet. The TriComps are amazing in the wet and you just cannot avoid afternoon downpours in Florida.

Any other good suggestions? And what about the GP4000s blow-outs? Should I really be afraid of these tires? Thanks for any feedback.

I've never blown out a GP, and I definitely feel a grip difference in the Black Chili compound compared to EVO corsa's, Rubinos, and a few others. I think the GPs are one of the best mixes of durability vs grip. The new Michelin Pro 4 has had good revies, and I may try the Challenge strada soon.

verticaldoug
05-27-2012, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=SteveV0983;1144949 Many people like the Conti GP4000s but I have never seen so many experiences on forums where the entire sidewall of the tire blows out like I have with these.

Any other good suggestions? And what about the GP4000s blow-outs? Should I really be afraid of these tires? Thanks for any feedback.[/QUOTE]

I had one sidewall issue on the GP4000 back in 2009. Conti realized it was an issue and since then, I have not had any issues with sidewalls when mounted on Fulcrum, ZIPP and DT Swiss rims. I think there are a few conti haters and they have grown the sidewall issue into a urban legend. I've been riding a fair amount of gravel roads and the GP4000s have been great.

holliscx
05-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Conti has a new Grand Prix tire that comes in 24 mm that I ride.

In 25 mm I've been very happy with Gatorskins.

thwart
05-27-2012, 03:18 PM
I've had very good luck with a 25 mm set of Michelin PR3's, in spite of the frequent flats that someone I ride with has had with the same tire in 23 mm.

Maybe running at 75 F and 85 R is the difference... I weigh 150 in season.

veloduffer
05-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I've used many brands over the many years, and Contis were my least favorable. Sidewall issues and PITA to mount.

Currently, I like the Bontrager R4 and Schwalbe Ultremo, which have good grip, lightweight and come in 25mm. I am also using the Vittoria Diamante Pro and they are riding well too.

dave thompson
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
The Conti GP4000 or Schwalbe Ultremo ZX have been my favorites for a couple of years now. Both have good grip and wear characteristics. The Vittoria Open Corsa EVO are good too but wear quicker under my 200# avoirdupois.

Fivethumbs
05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
The Michelin Lithium 2 is a pretty decent tire, especially for the price.

SteveV0983
05-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I remain leery of Michelins due to past experience. I had used Krylion Carbons for years when they used to me made in France and they were great. Then they moved production to Asia and I found that they developed a flat spot along the middle within 500 miles. That's when I switched to the TriComps.

I see one nod to the Gatorskins. Anyone else with experience with the 25mm version of those? How are they in the rain?

handsomerob
05-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Conti has a new Grand Prix tire that comes in 24 mm that I ride.

In 25 mm I've been very happy with Gatorskins.

+1 on the new Grand Prix (not 4000). So far so good on mine.

fourflys
05-27-2012, 05:20 PM
huge fan of the Clement Strada LLG tires...\http://clementcycling.com/210/strada-llg-road

http://clementcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Strada-lineup-low-rez-400x300.jpg

Ralph
05-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I ride 700X25 MM Gatorskins on my daily rider. They are tough, don't flat for me, and seem to last about forever. They are also about same width as 23 MM Michelins.

The same construction that allows them to be so tough and long lasting also makes them ride rougher than the Michelin pro Race I use on another bike. But using 80-90 lbs pressure makes them ride OK. I consider them about perfect for a daily riding around bike, or the bike that gets my daily riding exercise use. Save your better riding delicate race tires for race or performance riding.

BTW....I weigh about 165, and don't inflate my tires that much. I have never had trouble with any tire. I expect supple race tires to have a short life and flat easy. I expect tough long lasting tires to ride a little rougher so just run them with lower pressure. Buy the correct tire for your use. Conti GP 4000 and similar tires seem to be a good compromise.

uber
05-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I am using the Veloflex 25mm in tubular. I don't think anything rides as nicely as the Veloflex, but they may not last as long as the Continentals.

palincss
05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Many people like the Conti GP4000s but I have never seen so many experiences on forums where the entire sidewall of the tire blows out like I have with these. It's such a recurring theme that I have become wary of them.

What exactly does an entire sidewall blow out look like? Do you mean the bead slips off the rim and the tube blows out with a BANG? If it's a "recurring theme" it's likely it's either being caused by some problem in a piece of equipment you own, or by some kind of user error you keep making.

Pete Mckeon
05-27-2012, 07:29 PM
A tire can roll off a rim or in extreme cases, going down a mountain the rim surface can heat up so much that a blow off can occur.

BUT I have seen it very seldom and never with Contis or any other named brand.

Sorry to hear someone is having bad karma with tires but agree with the note below. Additionally I am glad to NOT hear of injury.

PETE

What exactly does an entire sidewall blow out look like? Do you mean the bead slips off the rim and the tube blows out with a BANG? If it's a "recurring theme" it's likely it's either being caused by some problem in a piece of equipment you own, or by some kind of user error you keep making.

victoryfactory
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I remain leery of Michelins due to past experience. I had used Krylion Carbons for years when they used to me made in France and they were great. Then they moved production to Asia and I found that they developed a flat spot along the middle within 500 miles. That's when I switched to the TriComps.

I see one nod to the Gatorskins. Anyone else with experience with the 25mm version of those? How are they in the rain?

As with high performance car tires, it's hard to find a bicycle tire that
performs well and lasts.
I weigh the same as you and I have found that the Michelin
P3race 25's with 100 lbs are magic. like glass.
Ive had two flats so far this year. 1 glass, one screw.
(I also rode the fortezzas for two years before switching)

steampunk
05-27-2012, 08:32 PM
good times so far with Panaracer Type A's in 25c. ~900 miles to-date and liking them.

TMB
05-27-2012, 08:47 PM
A tire can roll off a rim or in extreme cases, going down a mountain the rim surface can heat up so much that a blow off can occur.

BUT I have seen it very seldom and never with Contis or any other named brand.

Sorry to hear someone is having bad karma with tires but agree with the note below. Additionally I am glad to NOT hear of injury.

PETE

Am I the only one that finds it odd to see "Junior Member" under Pete's name???

thwart
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Was thinking the same thing...

jr59
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Am I the only one that finds it odd to see "Junior Member" under Pete's name???

I'm just happy to see him posting here. Kind of miss seeing his posts almost everyday.

beercan
05-28-2012, 10:10 AM
if you dont care about weight and want a worry free ride - MAXXIS REfuse !!

conserativerider
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Michelin Pro 3's are great, I'm sure the Pro 4's are as well.

RFC
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I also have had very good luck with the Fortezzas, which is why I want to try these in 25mm:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10053_10052_537327_-1

lhuerta
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM

You didn't tell us what your seeking by going with a 25c tire...less rolling resistance, comfort, durability, flat protection, etc? If you are seeking a fast rolling, durable, flat resistant and plush ride, then go with Vittoria Paves with latex tubes (yes, its 24c but measures out to 25c). If you want fast rolling and slightly more plush ride but with a bit less durability and less flat protection, then go with Vittoria Open Corsa in 25c with latex tubes. If you want a fast rolling, great durability and flat protection but with out any plush-ness, then go with the 4000s (no need to try latex on these, you will not feel the difference). If you want the worst riding tire in the world, equivalent to riding a hard rubber tricycle tire (or as other have said, strapping a frozen water hose to your wheels) then go with gatorskins.

Lou

Louis
05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I think tires are a lot like chain lubes - there are lots of very good ones out there. Many folks just pick one and stick with it. Others prefer to jump around, trying something new all the time. This tells me that you really can't go too far wrong.

DHallerman
05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
If you are seeking a fast rolling, durable, flat resistant and plush ride, then go with Vittoria Paves

Agree, they are great tires.

But I'm ticked off that they no longer offer the all-black ones, only the black/green ones. A bright green. A bilious green. A green that looks good on only a few bikes.

Sorry, I know this shouldn't be about looks, but who among you has not made a bike or bike part decision based on color and looks?

skouri1
05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I have no problem with Conti GP 4000S in 23. My next tires will be their 25 version.

I've ridden pro2 race, bontrager, maxxis refuse, and a few others... So far, the conti's have been the most durable, have good grip in my experience, are very light and ride well.. Expensive, but worth it, in my opinion.

sw3759
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
pro race 3 would be my choice especially with the good deals available since the pr4 came out but i still have not seen a pro race 4 in a 25 anywhere.
are they even available in a 25 yet?
they wear pretty fast but they are fantastic handling and riding tires i have always used the michelin latex tubes with them so that may help.
should be able to get at 1k miles out of a rear at least.past that they get thin and prone to flats imo.(i weigh 145 and weight seems to factor into mileage)
havent used a 4000s or the clement and the schwalbe and maxxis 25's are pretty narrow for a 25.fwiw maxxis was the worst tire i ever tried and that was several years ago so maybe they have improved.the ride was like an armadillo.(the tire not the animal)

bcm119
05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
huge fan of the Clement Strada LLG tires...\http://clementcycling.com/210/strada-llg-road

http://clementcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Strada-lineup-low-rez-400x300.jpg

+1 to this recommendation. I can't speak to the durability of these yet, but they have a very nice, lively feel.

572cv
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm just happy to see him posting here. Kind of miss seeing his posts almost everyday.

Yay, good to hear from Pete! As to the junior thing, for a lot of seniors, its good to be a junior anything ;)

fourflys
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
+1 to this recommendation. I can't speak to the durability of these yet, but they have a very nice, lively feel.

I've had no issues with the durability of the Clements... in fact I got a set of the 28's for my Salsa Casseroll and the ride is sublime...

SteveV0983
05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I also have had very good luck with the Fortezzas, which is why I want to try these in 25mm:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10053_10052_537327_-1

There's a thought (but not the retro gum wall - that's not doing it for me).

To answer some of the other questions, I was thinking about trying 25s because so many people say they are more comfortable. I am not unhappy with the 23 TriComps, but was curious what I would gain in comfort in a 25. Second to comfort would be durability and flat protection. I don't race and we have no hills, so weight is irrelevant. I don't consider myself that apt at detecting small differences and may not be able to notice some of the small subtleties that some of you mention, but I will say that when I went from Michelin Krylions to the TriComps, it was a huge difference.
Plus it's going to be an entirely new build (well, not entirely new because I'm moving my Ultegra 6600, my bars, and my seat over) so now seemed like a good time to make some changes.

HenryA
05-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Panaracers. Type A or for tougher use, Type D.
Ride grip and feel very much like Vreds but super durable.
Readily available (even if you have to order them) which Vreds never are.

rdparadise
05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
My last pair of tires were the Conti Grand Prix 4000 700 X 25's. I bought from a fellow forumite for a great price. They wore well, good grip and overall great tire.

I've since decided to the give the Tofu tubular/clincher 700 X 25 a try. It's tire and tube complete but fits a clincher rim. They aren't cheap and I don't have them yet, so I cannot comment on the quality, ride, etc. I thought it was an interesting concept so I'm giving it a try.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/tufo-c-elite-ride-25-tubular-clincher

Anybody else have or try these? What's your experience?

Bob

akelman
05-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I really wanted those tires to be manufactured by a company called "Tofu".

Louis
05-28-2012, 10:52 PM

They're for vegetarians.

palincss
05-29-2012, 06:35 AM
I've since decided to the give the Tofu tubular/clincher 700 X 25 a try. It's tire and tube complete but fits a clincher rim. They aren't cheap and I don't have them yet, so I cannot comment on the quality, ride, etc. I thought it was an interesting concept so I'm giving it a try.

Seems to me they give you the worst of both worlds with none of the benefits of either. They can't be repaired, unlike clinchers or normal tubulars; and because you're using a clincher rim you don't have the freedom from pinch flats and the ability to use low pressures that come from the shape of the tubular rim.

DHallerman
05-29-2012, 08:18 AM
They're for vegetarians.

Nah, they're for omnivores, the sorts of people who ride road bikes and mountain bikes and fixed gear and even, sometimes, cruisers on vacation boardwalks.

Lovetoclimb
05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Have had incredibly good "luck" shredding miles of gravel roads with the Vittoria Paves in 700x24c. On my Velocity A-23 rims they measure out wider than 25.

zap
05-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Conti GP4000 are really good tires, the S compound version even better.

I'm not aware of any major problems with the 4000.

Now, Conti 3000 were the worst. So bad that when the 4000 first came out I almost didn't make the leap.

Anyhow, the only road bikes I ride that have clinchers are our tandems (can't convince my wife that tubulars are superior) and both have Conti GP4000. Good for tandems at 50+mph-good for florida roads.

Also, make sure you talc the inner tubes.

JLP
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
28 mm Conti GP 4 seasons are great 25 mm tires.

Well, they are really perhaps 26.

Anyhoo, they are pretty grippy in rain and durable if that's how you roll.

Fixed
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Lots of different tire brands from what I gather they must all be adaquite
Cheers

TMB
05-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Seems to me they give you the worst of both worlds with none of the benefits of either. They can't be repaired, unlike clinchers or normal tubulars; and because you're using a clincher rim you don't have the freedom from pinch flats and the ability to use low pressures that come from the shape of the tubular rim.

In addition to all of the above, I don't think they are made any more, which means you will be buying "what's left"

norcalbiker
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
The answer is always Vittoria Open C 25's

That's what I used. :banana:

Nelson99
05-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I like 25s and I've been enjoying the Ultremos, Vittorias (pave and cx), and a pair of Michelin optimums.

Interestingly, I had my first blatant rim width experience it's the Optimums. I mounted them to a set of DT Swiss R1 rims which are 19mm wide. The rims was simply not wide enough to support the high volume of the optimum tires and the front tire sidewall would perceptibly collapse under hard turning. Mounted to a set of 21mm rims they didn't have the same problem. Since I only ride 25s anymore, it has me looking to build a set of 23mm rims.

On another note, I have ridden a pair of Tufo tubular clinchers (ride 23 and 25) for a while, and while I wanted to like them, I didn't find the ride quality much to write home about. They seemed tough and reasonably fast, but had poor road feel and noisy shoulders. I should really try them on another pair of wheels, but so far, they aren't as good as the regular clinchers I ride.

bluesea
05-29-2012, 09:38 PM
28 mm Conti GP 4 seasons are great 25 mm tires.

Well, they are really perhaps 26.

Anyhoo, they are pretty grippy in rain and durable if that's how you roll.

I may have to try a pair of those GP4 28's. My go to rubber is Conti GP4000S---they work well enough that there is no motivation to experiment. If only they came out with 4000S in 28.