PDA

View Full Version : Giro Spoiler Stage 20 - Thread

73Camaro_Dude
05-26-2012, 08:12 AM
These dudes are climbing up the Mortirolo looking like cows being led to the slaughter. This is an evil stage for stage 20. One of the main reasons I love the Giro.

Zaugg at 2.53 with 58.4 k riding in GRAVEL.

Nasty.

Viper
05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Just returned from a 3 hour, early am jaunt.

Tuning in now. Ride Report pending.

73Camaro_Dude
05-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Ryder gonna have to turn himself inside out today. Nasty.

JRod looks very cozy...

jpw
05-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Ryder gonna have to turn himself inside out today. Nasty.

He isn't looking at all comfortable. His face is a little contorted.

73Camaro_Dude
05-26-2012, 09:28 AM
His Giro win aside... since then Is there anyone in history that has made more ridiculous and fruitless Grand Tour attacks on the climb than Cunego? I guess its ok when they have a Scarponi, but this dude is a few crackers short.

Viper
05-26-2012, 09:35 AM
His Giro win aside... since then Is there anyone in history that has made more ridiculous and fruitless Grand Tour attacks on the climb than Cunego? I guess its ok when they have a Scarponi, but this dude is a few crackers short.

As the commentator said of Cunego just a few days ago at the Giro, "So much effort for such little result." It sounded even more harsh coming from the tonque with an British accent.

I know, I know what Cunego has won in his career. Check. I also know I see him as a Chicago Cub fan.

ultraman6970
05-26-2012, 09:56 AM
DE GENDT doing great!!!! They screw up letting him go.

Viper
05-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Vanda Velde deserves an extra burger off the BBQ tonight.

firerescuefin
05-26-2012, 10:06 AM

As a fan of cycling, I prefer fruitless attacks over a chase group where no one has any balls and is happy to follow wheels and race for 3rd-5th. I can think of one American rider that has made a career of never making an agressive move, instead following someone elses wheel. It's worked for him, but it's as predictable as the calendar.

Animators help make the sport great, and his palmares isn't that bad...look it up.

sonoray
05-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Vanda Velde deserves an extra burger off the BBQ tonight.

true dat

73Camaro_Dude
05-26-2012, 10:31 AM
As a fan of cycling, I prefer fruitless attacks over a chase group where no one has any balls and is happy to follow wheels and race for 3rd-5th. I can think of one American rider that has made a career of never making an agressive move, instead following someone elses wheel. It's worked for him, but it's as predictable as the calendar.

Animators help make the sport great, and his palmares isn't that bad...look it up.

I don't disagree at all, but for someone that is annually considered a contender, he makes some ridiculous strategic moves. Every grand tour he has ridden since he has tried these...

I like Cunego, just has not metered his efforts like other more successful riders of similar climbing skill. Perhaps its management... who knows.

TMB
05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
So, as it turns out, no TV coverage of the time trial tomorrow for me.

Sportsnet have instead scheduled 7 hours of coverage of ..... Cricket.

The time trial will be re-broadcast at 11 pm.

Another day of sketchy Internet feeds in languages I barely understand.

goonster
05-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Another day of sketchy Internet feeds in languages I barely understand.
Please lay off Sean Kelly. ;)

firerescuefin
05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't disagree at all, but for someone that is annually considered a contender, he makes some ridiculous strategic moves. Every grand tour he has ridden since he has tried these...

I like Cunego, just has not metered his efforts like other more successful riders of similar climbing skill. Perhaps its management... who knows.

He has certainly underperformed as a GC guy after his win, but has won some grand tour stages, come close at WCs, and seems to be right there in a lot of the big one day races...especially if you put a climb near the end. I think he's an easy target for some of these commentators. He was one great rider away from winning an epic stage today...great effort!!

wallymann
05-26-2012, 11:37 AM
i know youre talking levi...i used to bag on him, but i just think he's always been up against better guys. it aint like he's sand-bagging, when he's riding all out he just hasnt regularly had the power to do something interesting.

PQJ
05-26-2012, 12:36 PM

IMO, the sport was much more animated when they were all doping. Not saying I don't still enjoy the spectacle, because I do, but the superhuman attacks of the past are, well, a thing of the past, at least for now.

firerescuefin
05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
IMO, the sport was much more animated when they were all doping. Not saying I don't still enjoy the spectacle, because I do, but the superhuman attacks of the past are, well, a thing of the past, at least for now.

So what do we call the stage winner today...or the guy that broke away after 1 mile at the Bear stage at TOC...or what Cancellara attempted to do at Milan San Remo...or what Boonen did at Roubaix....It takes balls to win or to try to win. I admire someone that goes for it...even when it goes up in a ball of flame, rather than the guy that just sits in and get his "time" to remain relevant in the battle for 4th in GC

jpw
05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I see Cav lost the points jersey by a single point. Ferrari won't be getting a Christmas card this year, and Guardini was disqualified from the race today for car hanging (he should lose his stage victory for that).

TMB
05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Please lay off Sean Kelly. ;)

Funny thing is - I have no problem with Kelly. Hell, I went to school over there.

PQJ
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
So what do we call the stage winner today...or the guy that broke away after 1 mile at the Bear stage at TOC...or what Cancellara attempted to do at Milan San Remo...or what Boonen did at Roubaix....It takes balls to win or to try to win. I admire someone that goes for it...even when it goes up in a ball of flame, rather than the guy that just sits in and get his "time" to remain relevant in the battle for 4th in GC

Breakaways that were allowed to escape and managed to stay away. Excellent rides but not superhuman a la Armstrong, ricco etc. None of the contenders would have been allowed to escape and sans le dopage they can't explode away like they used to.

CPP
05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Peter Stetina did a heroic job today!! He did the same on Thursday. Great genes !

firerescuefin
05-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Breakaways that were allowed to escape and managed to stay away. Excellent rides but not superhuman a la Armstrong, ricco etc. None of the contenders would have been allowed to escape and sans le dopage they can't explode away like they used to.

One day classic guys still can...but agreed that it's not as prevalent without the NOS bottle on your bike.

My point was more that courageous gutsy rides still happen and often don't work out....I wasn't referring to extra terrestrial performances.

BillG
05-26-2012, 04:10 PM
My point was more that courageous gutsy rides still happen and often don't work out....I wasn't referring to extra terrestrial performances.

That's why we all love Chavanel!

soulspinner
05-26-2012, 04:29 PM
That's why we all love Chavanel!

His breakaway and subsequent stage win on Bastille Day was fantastic riding......

Steelman
05-27-2012, 11:47 AM

He should have dropped back to help Scarponi and the rest of the chase group bring back the stage winner.