PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Ti options

jwb96
02-21-2004, 06:24 AM
Actually, weight has nothing to do with it. It's more a matter of price and value. Thanks to this board and my Serotta dealer, I've been convinced that a Legend is overkill for me and I'd be just as happy with a Concours. But I also keep thinking about a Spectrum. It's more expensive, but when you consider the fork, paint, headset, and even a frame pump are thrown in, it starts to actually look like a pretty good deal. So I'm wondering if any of you can weigh in with other considerations, basically about the quality of the frames themselves. I'm not too familiar with Merlins and haven't seen too many, but I suspect the Spectrum would be built just like one. Has Merlin quality changed at all after being bought out? Anything else to think about that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
:confused: :confused:

keno
02-21-2004, 08:01 AM
I own a Concours and very recently Tom Kellogg built a steel Spectrum for me. In the course of visiting Tom several times, I had the chance to discuss various design philosophies with him on each of his bikes. I came away with the very distinct conclusion that a ti, is a ti, is a ti is not a reasonable conclusion to reach. Price should be a secondary consideration when you are really talking relatively small dollars between the two products. BTW, I love both the Concours and the steel Spectrum.

If you want more details, drop me a note at keno@blast.net or give me a call at 908.439.3258.

keno

bags27
02-21-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm waiting for my Spectrum Superlight right now. Haven't seen/ridden it, so I can't tell you what it's like. But I can say that in anticipation of visiting Tom Kellogg (about a 7 hour drive), we spent some time on the phone and by e-mail discussing what I want. Then Tom spent 4 (!) hours listening to me and fitting me in person. Tom's a busy guy, running his own shop and overseeing Merlin, too. But he's a wonderful listener, respectful, and, for me most important, completely devoted to building what you want for yourself. It's not about the bike: it's about getting the best possible bike under you. I'm an older, not especially flexible long distance rider, and Tom took me as seriously as if I were a Cat 1 racer.

As to what type of bike I get, I'm not getting a Merlin: Tom pointed out what model Merlin my bike would most approximate, but it's an entirely original bike with my own dimensions and his vision. As everyone knows, Tom has the best Merlin framebuilders working on his custom orders, and then he inspects and finishes the frames, and paints them personally (and he is a fanatic about paint: he loves the way bikes look).

I don't know anyone who isn't happy with their Serotta, and I'm sure you can't go wrong there. I just felt that Tom has been so closely associated with outstanding work with titanium for so long and I've known so many people who swear he is almost clairvoyant about their needs, that I had to go to the master.

Michael Katz
02-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I own a 2003 Spectrum Superlight custom. I also rode a borrowed 2003 stock geometry Legend for 3 weeks. Here are my observations. Tom Kellogg personally designs each and every Spectrum Ti frame, from selecting the tubesets to determining geometry, to meet the needs and desires of each customer. The frames are then built by Merlin to his specs. The frames are built in Merlin's custom shop, which is separate from its regular production facilities, and are built by craftsmen that Tom has specifically chosen to build his frames. Almost like a specialized custom operation within the custom shop. The frames are shipped to Tom in their raw state and must pass his inspection. He and Jeff then do all of the finishing work. If you compare a Spectrum to a stock Merlin, the Spectrum's craftsmanship is obviously superior. They are also visually different bikes - from the internal routing of the rear brake cable to the smooth welds. Tom will then paint the frame anyway you want, with a broad variety of paint schemes, virtually unlimited colors and tremendous opportunity for customer input included at no additional cost.

My Superlight rides and handles exactly the way I wanted. It also fits like the proverbial glove. You should expect this from any custom bike and you get it with a Spectrum. The quality of the frame, workmanship, and finishing is second to none. The paint is as good as it gets. I have absolutely no regrets or reservations about my Spectrum.

I found the Legend I rode to be an extremely competent bike. It was stock geometry so there are things I would do differently if having one built for me. I was very impressed with it, however, and as the owner of a custom CSI, I fully understand why owners of custom Legends are delighted with them. When comparing bikes at this level, there are no "bad" or "better" bikes. They are all ridiculously wonderful.

In my case, I ended up getting the Spectrum instead of the Legend for a variety of reasons. Foremost was that I live 1 hour from Spectrum's shop and was able to meet and work with Tom in person. In addition, I aesthetically prefer the look and finish of the Spectrum Ti frames - obviously subjective and subject to a difference of view. Finally, when comparing the cost of frame, fork and paint and mulling over what I wanted out of a new bike, I concluded that the Spectrum was a better value for me. Others could reach a different conclusion based on a different set of priorities.