PDA

View Full Version : Cable adjusters for a 90s era Legend Ti?

texbike
05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm in the process of buying a Legend Ti from a fellow forumite, but the factory cable adjusters have been misplaced along the way.

The adjuster blocks appear to be a Serotta-specific part that are rectangular shaped. Outside of the obvious call or email to Serotta, does anyone know of a part that would work or have a suggestion on what could be used to provide the adjuster base?

Have any of our Legend owners bumped into this issue?

Thanks!

Texbike

monkeybanana86
05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
CSIs use those as well (just to give you another search string). I was worried about replacing mine so I did a quick search here a while back and it seems that people have had luck ordering from serotta. You can also make that rectangular base plate and tap some threads into it if you can't hunt down a pair. It's a clever system imo!

54ny77
05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
what purpose does that base plate do? weird design. looks like a, "hey, i got some cool machining tools, let's see what we can make!" project....

if the braze-on itself is threaded m5 or m6, and especially if you can't find that rectangular bracket, i would recommend dave kirk's barrel adjusters. there should be enough bolt to reach through and give you plenty of wiggle room to unscrew as needed to fine tune.

dave thompson
05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
i believe the base plate is threaded while the boss is not. Tension from the cable keeps the adjuster and base plate in place and the notch in the boss prevents the base plate from turning when you turn the adjusters.

monkeybanana86
05-24-2012, 10:11 PM
what purpose does that base plate do? weird design. looks like a, "hey, i got some cool machining tools, let's see what we can make!" project....

if the braze-on itself is threaded m5 or m6, and especially if you can't find that rectangular bracket, i would recommend dave kirk's barrel adjusters. there should be enough bolt to reach through and give you plenty of wiggle room to unscrew as needed to fine tune.

as dave thompson stated the actual headtube boss is not threaded. when you turn the bars you can see the barrels wanting to move or turn to the side. the base plates rise at an angle allowing for some movement but not so much that the cable length changes.

texbike
05-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info guys. As Dave and MonkeyB point out, it isn't as easy as just getting a set of barrel adjusters. The unique base plate is the real challenge. I emailed Serotta late yesterday and will follow up with a phone call today to see if they might have a set of them in their inventory.

Does anyone have a work-around that they have used to accommodate a lost base plate without resorting to a custom-machined piece?

Thanks again!

Texbike

AngryScientist
05-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Does anyone have a work-around that they have used to accommodate a lost base plate without resorting to a custom-machined piece?

you could make a baseplate like that with a nut, a few minutes with a vise-grips and a grinder, provided you have one, a bench vise and a dremel would also work. pretty simple.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. As Dave and MonkeyB point out, it isn't as easy as just getting a set of barrel adjusters. The unique base plate is the real challenge. I emailed Serotta late yesterday and will follow up with a phone call today to see if they might have a set of them in their inventory.

Thanks again!

Texbike

Not sure of the size but I have used a pretty normal nut, screwed onto a barrel adjuster, fits into the flats of the thing on the frame pretty well. These things have 'lose me!!' written all over them. Poor design, IMHO.