PDA

View Full Version : bike shipping question

akelman
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I haven't shipped a complete bike in a REALLY long time, and the last time I did it turned into an epic disaster. Given that, my plan this time is to pull all of the components and box those parts separately from the frame. I'm also going to ship the front wheel separately. So, here's what I'm wondering: is it okay, assuming there's room in the bike box, to leave the rear wheel mounted in the frame? Or will something terrible that I can't foresee happen?

buldogge
05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey Ari...That's how they come from manufacturers/distributors. With a 56cm frame (I assume) you should be able to get it in a box that will still slide under the FedEx/USPS limits.

I just shipped a 57 or 58 and had to take the rear wheel off and slide it next to the frame, to get the frame low enough in the box (31" H).

If you remove the wheel grab a plastic dropout spacer from an LBS or use a block of wood and 2 screws w/washers.

If you're gonna grab a box from the LBS, you should be able to grab the spacers and the packing foam (kinda like thinner pipe insulation).

Front wheel goes next to the wrapped frame, also wrapped and zipp ties to the TT and ST.

Have fun...

-Mark

I haven't shipped a complete bike in a REALLY long time, and the last time I did it turned into an epic disaster. Given that, my plan this time is to pull all of the components and box those parts separately from the frame. I'm also going to ship the front wheel separately. So, here's what I'm wondering: is it okay, assuming there's room in the bike box, to leave the rear wheel mounted in the frame? Or will something terrible that I can't foresee happen?

vqdriver
05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
my plan this time is to pull all of the components and box those parts separately from the frame.

i wish all bikes were shipped this way. for all the complaining we do (myself included) about the shipping companies, poorly secured or loose parts wreak a lot of havoc inside those big boxes

cmg
05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
better to ship both wheels in the same box and the frame with components boxed up seprately. If you go USPS parcel post it will cost a little more than $50 (from Tx to NY). Parcel post does have a size limit. FEDEX, UPS will be more.

buldogge
05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
FWIW...I paid $66 w/ $1k insurance to send a complete bike from the STL to Grand Junction, CO a couple weeks ago, by FedEx Ground.

-Mark

better to ship both wheels in the same box and the frame with components boxed up seprately. If you go USPS parcel post it will cost a little more than $50 (from Tx to NY). Parcel post does have a size limit. FEDEX, UPS will be more.

esldude
05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Things like bikes are usually charged based upon size rather than weight by UPS and Fedex. Another tip at least with UPS. Some days shipping for light large boxes is cheaper than others. In my area it seems to be Tuesday. Differences in shipping cost on a bike can be $15 just due to the day you take it in.

vqdriver
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Another tip at least with UPS. Some days shipping for light large boxes is cheaper than others. In my area it seems to be Tuesday. Differences in shipping cost on a bike can be $15 just due to the day you take it in.

really? i didn't know that.

buldogge
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep...Gotta keep it under 108" combined. Always dimensional weight with a bike box. I think I used 57L x 31H x 9W.

-Mark

Things like bikes are usually charged based upon size rather than weight by UPS and Fedex. Another tip at least with UPS. Some days shipping for light large boxes is cheaper than others. In my area it seems to be Tuesday. Differences in shipping cost on a bike can be $15 just due to the day you take it in.

alancw3
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
i have found this website helpful:

http://chainwheeldrive.com/page.cfm?PageID=286

also:

cnighbor1
05-24-2012, 04:36 PM
due to possible problems in shipping I would consider riding it to new owner
But if packing go to google and do a search for bicycle packing
Lot of good videos and sites on packing.
I leave rear wheel on. Turn fork backwards. and put front wheel along side frame. I buy for about $10 pipe insulation and zip ties. I warp all tubes, BB, etc in them and keep in place with zip ties the handle bars go over top tube with zip ties holding in place You can also zip tile front wheel to frame I put a thick piece of cardboard between it and rest of bike
I prefer Fed EX Ground
Charles

esldude
05-24-2012, 05:07 PM
due to possible problems in shipping I would consider riding it to new owner
But if packing go to google and do a search for bicycle packing
Lot of good videos and sites on packing.
I leave rear wheel on. Turn fork backwards. and put front wheel along side frame. I buy for about $10 pipe insulation and zip ties. I warp all tubes, BB, etc in them and keep in place with zip ties the handle bars go over top tube with zip ties holding in place You can also zip tile front wheel to frame I put a thick piece of cardboard between it and rest of bike
I prefer Fed EX Ground
Charles

I think we can assume Charles means WRAP all tubes not warp them.

Just poking fun Charles. Nothing serious.

John M
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
....better to ship both wheels in the same box and the frame with components boxed up separately. ....

This is what I did for the last bike that I shipped. It was easier to pack, each box was lighter and easier to handle, and I thought this made things safer for the high end frame.

Louis
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
my plan this time is to pull all of the components and box those parts separately from the frame.

If you have not yet done so, I'd check with the buyer and see what his thoughts are on this. Wouldn't want any surprises.

tiretrax
05-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I leave the rear wheel intact, place the front wheel hub (w/o skewers) in front of the down tube, turn the for around, and remove the stem and zip tie it to the fork. I shipped a bike from Dallas to Philadelphia for $80, via FedEx ground and from their depot. I was surprised it was so much. I wrap the tubes in pipe insulation and put cardboard between the wheel and frame and wheel and outside of box. There are some plastic things that fit in the hub and have flat sides to keep the hub from going through the side of the box.

akelman
05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
If you have not yet done so, I'd check with the buyer and see what his thoughts are on this. Wouldn't want any surprises.

Already done. He's a much better mechanic than I am, so building the bike back up won't be a problem for him.