PDA

View Full Version : The skinny on padded briefs/underwear?

pinkshogun
05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
i revisted a pair of Andamo lightly padded mid-thigh briefs and found them more enjoyable than traditional padded shorts underneath my knickers

Can anybody recommend other quality brands of padded underwear? I assume white would have fewer chemical dyes both for myself and my Brooks B17

mike in rhode island

AngryScientist
05-23-2012, 06:50 PM
rapha makes a merino wool pair...

Grant McLean
05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
i revisted a pair of Andamo lightly padded mid-thigh briefs and found them more enjoyable than traditional padded shorts underneath my knickers.

I don't think I could generalize about "traditional" shorts, since their quality,
fit and comfort is all over the map. Under briefs are no more or less comfortable
than shorts, there isn't something magic about the fact they are "briefs".

Try some better quality shorts and knickers and you won't be going back.
I love knickers, and wear them whenever the temps allow, rarely using
knee warmers with shorts if i can avoid it. Try some good stuff from Giordana
or Assos on sale, you won't regret it.

-g

saab2000
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
i revisted a pair of Andamo lightly padded mid-thigh briefs and found them more enjoyable than traditional padded shorts underneath my knickers

Can anybody recommend other quality brands of padded underwear? I assume white would have fewer chemical dyes both for myself and my Brooks B17

mike in rhode island

What kind of knickers are you talking about? Actual lycra cycling knickers? or long short pants?

Cycling shorts/knickers with a pad/chamois (not a real Chamois for decades but that's what they call them) are not meant to be worn with underwear.

Not picking on you if you didn't know that but today's cycling shorts are meant to be worn over bare skin.

Grant McLean
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Cycling shorts/knickers with a pad/chamois (not a real Chamois for decades but that's what they call them) are not meant to be worn with underwear.

Not picking on you if you didn't know that but today's cycling shorts are meant to be worn over bare skin.

No, he's talking about wearing a 1st layer padded short,
(the kind that lots of mountain bikers wear under a baggy short)
and I assume wearing an unpadded lycra layer on top.

Lots of cyclewear companies make a padded 'underwear' version
that is meant to wear under another layer, so the material of the
1st layer is lighter than that of a lycra cycling short.

Unless the goal is to have a 'street wear' look outer layer, and thus
avoid cyclewear, from a comfort and temperature point, quality
cycling shorts are the much better direction. imho.

-g

pinkshogun
05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
im a former lycra and cycling specific jersey wearer. now i prefer loose fitting knickers (i do remove the ill-fitting butt-pad) and cotton tee shirts even in the hot weather of New England

i now find the lycra shorts too bulky underneath the knickers and the padded briefs/shorts just right.

Grant McLean
05-23-2012, 07:41 PM
now i prefer loose fitting knickers

Sounds like you've got it figured out, keep using what you like.

Sugoi and others make a liner short, but why mess with it if
you like the Andamo? Just get a few pairs.

http://www.sugoi.com/can/bike/men/base-layer-1/rc-pro-liner-1.html

-g

fiamme red
05-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I like P.I. liner shorts (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/22228-595_PEALN1-1-Clothing-663-Base-Layer/Pearl-Izumi-Liner-Short.htm) under baggy shorts (like Rivendell MUSA (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ab1.htm)) for touring. I can wear the same pair of outer shorts a few days in a row and just change the liner shorts each day.

DRZRM
05-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I've found two lightweight liners that I really like. The Swobo Technical Liner (http://www.amazon.com/Swobo-Technical-Cycling-Liner-Medium/dp/B0030IMR3M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) is quite nice (sold out on Amazon, but a google search may find you some leftovers from the 2011 version) and my personal favorite for hot weather MTB riding with baggies or pulling my kid in the trailer around town when I'd rather not be in lycra are the Mavic Stratos (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-mavic-stratos-under-shorts-8434.16.1.html?CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&mr:trackingCode=1C8F4982-B125-E111-824F-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:adType=pla) liners. The open mesh weave is very comfortable (obviously you have to wear something over them or...let's just say you will have fewer secrets).

Both do turn up on sale from time to time, in fact the Stratos liners are 21% off right now I think. They are costly, but if your lycra is feeling like a diaper, these are awesome.

dnades
05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I used to wear the andamo underwear under some Rivendell Musa shorts but found that it just got really hot really quick in the summer months. Now the Musa shorts are hangout/camping shorts or I'll ride MTB with them. Still have the andamos for emergency wear but I generally go with Ibex wool padded riding shorts.

thinpin
05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Try some better quality shorts and knickers and you won't be going back.
I love knickers, and wear them whenever the temps allow, rarely using
knee warmers with shorts if i can avoid it. Try some good stuff from Giordana
or Assos on sale, you won't regret it.
Snap - on all this