PDA

View Full Version : Fork Swap: Original Steel to F1 Carbon in CRL

cachagua
05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
So, I finally got out from under my "too-small" Serotta CRL and got hold of another one 2cm larger, and the handling isn't so incisive as I was used to on the old one. (I've whined about this elsewhere, y'all are probably tired of hearing about it.)

But now I have a chance to try a couple of carbon forks in it: I have a Time (old style by today's standards) and I'm thinking about buying a used F1 on eBay.

I don't know what difference to expect -- the Time and the F1 are both 43mm rake, very likely the original steel fork is too. My thought has been a few mm shorter rake would calm the handling down just incrementally (it's slightly clumsy at low speed, hard to track-stand, and will wander and hunt for a line in fast corners)... but would either carbon option solidify things and add stability, even with no change in rake? Difference in comfort on long rides? Any insight from other people's experiences appreciated...

Ken Robb
05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
You may have less weight on the front wheel on the larger frame and that can sometimes make steering feel vague. Maybe try a different stem before you swap forks. A steel Serotta fork shouldn't lack "incisiveness".

cmg
05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
you could measure the rake of the existing fork. attach the fork to block of something horizontally and measuring.

swg
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Had the same problems with my steel fork. Switched back to the carbon fork and all issues were solved. Hated removing the steel fork and quill stem but the change in performance is well worth it.

cachagua
05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks all around. I think too a steel Serotta fork shouldn't feel vague; my previous 5 -- no record, I'm sure, but enough of a statistical sample for me -- have felt sharp as a razor. I don't know that I can accurately measure the rake of the forks, but I can compare them pretty well with the method described. I'm also liking the idea of moving my weight forward -- I've added 2cm the the top tube, as well as to the seat tube, so I know my center of gravity is in a slightly different place over this bike. But before the stem, I might try a zero-setback seatpost and move myself forward over the pedals a tad. Have to re-read the comments about the sitting-in-a-chair technique for locating my center of gravity...

Or, I've got a nice ti post on tap for a hundred bucks. I think I'll just buy it and see how it feels.

Thanks once again for the responses -- this is a great place to go for help.

dnades
05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Pretty sure Serotta developed their first carbon forks with Time and then refined it to the F1. Time may have even built them. The F1 is a very solid fork that does its job well. Heavy compared to todays carbon forks. If you want to read up on forks check out Tom Kellog's Spectrum website for fork info.

I would also check your frame alignment. If your wheels are not in line with each other it can cause those symptoms.

David Kirk
05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Pretty sure Serotta developed their first carbon forks with Time and then refined it to the F1. Time may have even built them. The F1 is a very solid fork that does its job well. Heavy compared to todays carbon forks. If you want to read up on forks check out Tom Kellog's Spectrum website for fork info.

I would also check your frame alignment. If your wheels are not in line with each other it can cause those symptoms.

The F1 fork was an in house project done exclusively by Serotta with no outside collaboration. It was designed and engineered in house and made just down the road by a composites company for us.

I was 'privileged' to be the guy that got to do the final hand shaping and polishing on the mould. Fun, fun. Countless hours with 2000 grit paper.

Our F1 fork was not as light as we wanted it to be but it road great and was as strong and safe as anything money could buy. It was a good piece.

Dave

cachagua
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
That's good history to know, about the F1. I don't mind at all about weight, but safety and longevity are my first concerns. Are the adhesives & resins and whatnot stable for decades? Or does nobody know because it hasn't BEEN decades yet... nobody thought Barbie dolls would de-plasticize either when they were made.

Anyway someone's selling one that's the right size and looks okay for something under $200 on eBay. I haven't seen very many for sale, so maybe the only measure of how reasonable a price that is is -- whether someone buys it.

Might be me. Might be gone by the time I get done playing with seatpost & stem. Might be when I get done playing w/ seatpost and stem, I won't need it...

dnades
05-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the correction. It was Tom Kellogg and Merlin/Spectrum who worked with Time on the development of their fork not Serotta.

cachagua
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Preliminary indications of success from moving weight forward: tried a zero-setback seatpost on the backup bike, and the handling responded very much the way I'd hoped. My position on the two bikes is identical to mms, and the frames are as similar as two could be... so I've ordered a seatpost I can fit into the CRL, and that may do the trick. I had a feeling I was sitting a little farther back than I needed to be...

Will report back here.

CaptStash
05-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Of course you could have just swung by my house and picked up a zero setback I have laying around in a parts bin! Are we going to see you this Saturday?

CaptStash....

cachagua
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't want to put upon your courtesy about something as small as that, I have to keep you feeling generous for when I ask you about the Dura-Ace group!

But yes, I hope to be there tomorrow EW is emailing me the info.