PDA

View Full Version : Best shop near Smithtown NY??

Charles M
05-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Looking to help a friend get on a bike...

He's on Long Island, Smithtown...

Willing to go 25miles or so.

Help please?!

Viper
05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Smithtown is twenty minutes to my east. I don't go to this store, but Carl Hart might be worth looking at. www.carlhart.com

I wrote an article for my High School newspaper in 1987. It was about...cycling and the explosive growth of MTB and BMX. I called Carl Hart, interviewed them on the phone and wrote my first, published item. I need to contact my old High School and dig up that article.

veloduffer
05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Since LI is only 13 miles wide:), due south of Smithtown is The Kreb Cycle in Bellport. Long established shop and sponsored the night races at the east end (I don't know if those are around anymore).

Also, a new higher end shop opened in Huntington called the Bicycle Playground. There was a thread about it across the hall (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/im-opening-up-new-shop-26261.html).

I think Brands Cycle in Wantagh may still be the largest shop on LI (it's about a 45 minute drive from Smithtown).

My caveat: Huntington Bicycle Shop - it may have changed but it didn't have a great reputation (back in the 90s-2000) but was the only game in town.

happycampyer
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
A forumite, WickedWheels, recently opened a shop called Bicycle Playground in Huntington, which isn't far from Smithtown:

www.bicycleplayground.com

Oops, just saw that veloduffer already mentioned it.

MerckxMad
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Go visit Fred at Carl Hart Cycles in Medford. They are good people who will not steer you wrong. I purchased several $$$ bikes from Fred and his son over the years w/o any complaints. They are patient with fittings and will work with you to get things dialed in correctly.

ergott
05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
So who here is on the Island and wants to ride sometime?

I'm doing the Baller's ride this weekend, but I'm always up for riding with a forumite. You might even get to demo whatever wheels I have laying around if you like.

You know how to contact me.

:beer:

victoryfactory
05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
The Bicycle Planet in Syosset

Jason E
05-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Carl Hart and Kreb. Both awesome and strong supporters for a long time. if I lived there still, that is where I would go.

To be fair, the other shops are all pretty good I am sure. not a lt of bad apples on LI (as far as shops go).

bigman
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
The Bike Junkie in Bethpage, ask for Doug. Or for high end Roadworx in Syosset.

Spicoli
05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Babylon Bike...ask for Mike M. if you want one of the best fitter's and coach's in the Mid/Northeast. If just looking for a bike, the selection is as good as any medium sized shop and service is great. Specialized(S-works), Fuji, Guru, and a bunch of other brands.

Chris J. At the Kreb is great too. One of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet.

Best to your bud.

ergott
05-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Babylon Bike...ask for Mike M. if you want one of the best fitter's and coach's in the Mid/Northeast. If just looking for a bike, the selection is as good as any medium sized shop and service is great. Specialized(S-works), Fuji, Guru, and a bunch of other brands.

Chris J. At the Kreb is great too. One of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet.

Best to your bud.

He knows.

Those two are well respected and great all around guys. I went to Mike for my fit. No fancy tools, just a fitter/coach that knows what he is doing. Chris is great for the local scene. He sponsors (runs events) local 'cross and road racing.

I visited wickedwheels shop in Huntington and he looks to have a great thing going. He's promoting an Italian flavor (carries Colnago and Pinarello) which is a fresh change of pace from most shops which now carry almost the same stuff. He's the new kid on the block and could use the business.

TPetsch
05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
The Bike Junkie in Bethpage, ask for Doug. Or for high end Roadworx in Syosset.

A big Plus 1 for Doug at the Junkie ! ...Tell him Thomas with the Evo sent you ;)

WickedWheels
05-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Thank you for the referrals, guys! I appreciate it.
If you are from the forum or are sending someone in please ask them to mention this place.

As for info on the shop...

Bicycle Playground
256 Main St.
Huntington, NY 11743
www.bicycleplayground.com
www.facebook.com/bicycleplayground (for some shop pics)

I haven't been on here much as I'm going through my 2nd month of business and am still swamped. If you need anything shop email is best to get in touch with me (info@bicycleplayground.com). It's the only thing I have time to check regularly.

Thanks again!

Alex