PDA

View Full Version : Front derailleur setup for Rotor Q-rings

hockeybike
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
I purchased Q-rings a while ago after some people suggested they'd help my knees. After a few months of using the Q-rings, I still can't get acceptable front shifting out of them. I have the FD adjusted so that it's less than an MM above the ring at its tallest portion and even with that minimal amount of clearance, I can't get consisent shifts from the small ring to the big ring. Have the limit screw let out enough so that any more slack in that direction has the FD rubbing the crank.

As for getting rid of them, I'd like to avoid that for now. My knees got better around the time I got them, and while correlation doesn't equal causation, I'm inclined to keep them so as to not change up an equation that has my knees feeling good.

Anyone here have any tips for getting the standard q-rings (as opposed to compact) to shift acceptably? Want to keep them, but having to 'finesse' my way between chainrings is getting old.

Note: this is all with standard campagnolo 10s front derailleurs and record/chorus levers.

eddief
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
that seems like the operative phrase, but does not accurately describe much. whatdayamean? I had mountain triple Qrings installed on a recumbent and they shifted nicely, no probs. Maybe your front d needs to be angled a bit with tail in or out some.

hockeybike
05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
What I mean by 'front d rubbing the cranks' is that the only way for me to get the front to shift quickly enough was to let out enough of the limit screw to have the outer plate of the FD hit the franks. As far as I can tell, the FD outer plate is parallel w/ the outer ring.

eddief
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
at the tallest point, then it seems there is no way the FD can hit it. hit = not above. no?

hockeybike
05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Slight miscommunication. It's hitting hte crankARM, not hte chainring attached to the crank. The problem I'm having is that the only way to get the FD to sweep enough of the chain to the right is by letting out enough limit screw to let the FD cage hit the crank arm.

my main question is whether there's an optimal angle (maybe not dead straight) or height above the tallest point for the ring/fd. I can take pics when I get home.