PDA

View Full Version : fizik kurve saddles

jpw
05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I wonder, has anyone tried a saddle from the new Kurve range from Fizik?

I had been thinking of a cut out (cut-out, cutout?)saddle but these seem interesting.

RacerJRP
05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I'll let you know. Mine should be here sometime this week.

jpw
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I'll let you know. Mine should be here sometime this week.

Which one are you waiting for?

Tony T
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
I just got a 'snake' with a new bike. Been riding Selle Italia Flite 1990 on my old ride. At this point, I like my old Selle Italia over the Kurve.

jpw
05-21-2012, 05:26 PM
I just got a 'snake' with a new bike. Been riding Selle Italia Flite 1990 on my old ride. At this point, I like my old Selle Italia over the Kurve.

The Flite was my old saddle too. Switched to a Scratch after a rail snapped. A rail on the Scratch has now also snapped. Both saddles have a good shape, but I'm now wanting a little more pressure relief. I'm considering a Romin and the new grooved Scratch, but the Kurve design has also caught my eye.

Does the Snake have much 'give' in the three pressure areas, and is there much soft padding material on top?

Thanks, Jason.

gone
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I've got thousands if not tens of thousands of miles on Fizik Arione's. I bought an Arione Kurve model and have done a few hundred miles on it. To this point, I'd have to give the nod to the older model. The thing I like best about the old model is that it's both long and relatively flat so there are lots of "places to go" on a long ride - you can shift forward or back by small amounts to find a place that isn't sore. The Kurve on the other hand has "the spot" where it's comfortable and fore/aft movement gets you off "the spot" and is less comfortable, at least to me.

As always with saddles, YMMV but that's my experience thus far.

Tony T
05-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't notice much give (although the Fizik video show it), and I've switched from the soft setting to the hard and back to soft, and didn't notice any real difference. Probably just me, I'm known as a "hard ass" so don't take too much away from this comment

Very little padding as the "flex" does the work.

However, note that the rails are large, and don't fit in all seatposts (google "fizik kurve review seat post compatibility")

danielpack22@ma
05-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I just received a used kurve bull. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ti Designs
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I put over 2000 miles on a Kurve Bull on my fixed gear over the winter. If you can get past the price (and the packaging) it's like an Aliente but far better. I thought the rubber edges were going to kill me (and riding in the cold should have made them worse), but I didn't notice them at all. The thing that I really found amazing was that after almost 3 months of base mileage rides, it looked almost new!

RacerJRP
05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Which one are you waiting for?

I've been very happy with my Specialized Toupe saddles for the last 3-4 years but I am making a switch over to fizik... So i've got a standard Arione CX and a Kurve Snake coming so I can figure out what I like better.

br995
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Any updates from Kurve owners? I've ridden nothing but Ariones on road bikes for the past 5.5 years, and am super curious how the Kurves compare.

For what it's worth, I tried an Antares once and really did not like it.

FlashUNC
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Had a Fizik Kurve Snake, coming from the Arione. Just didn't agree with me.

The Snake had a bit more of a curve to the center of the saddle, whereas the Arione was flatter. Did not agree with my gooch.

Great saddle otherwise.

AngryScientist
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
i've got the chameleon, which is most similar to the fizik antares. love it.

br995
02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Had a Fizik Kurve Snake, coming from the Arione. Just didn't agree with me.

The Snake had a bit more of a curve to the center of the saddle, whereas the Arione was flatter. Did not agree with my gooch.

Great saddle otherwise.One of my concerns is that I find even the Arione to have too much of a hump in the middle; or at least too narrow of one. Good to know.

FlashUNC
02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
One of my concerns is that I find even the Arione to have too much of a hump in the middle; or at least too narrow of one. Good to know.

I found it much more pronounced than even the base level Arione.

Other thing I noticed is the saddle went from a certified gooch hatchet to something way more tolerable just by swapping the stiffness tab at the front. Made the saddle far less bouncy, and as a big guy, the bouncy led to an unhappy gooch.

Still didn't fit in the long run. At least the Arione isn't going anywhere.

beeatnik
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I've got thousands if not tens of thousands of miles on Fizik Arione's. I bought an Arione Kurve model and have done a few hundred miles on it. To this point, I'd have to give the nod to the older model. The thing I like best about the old model is that it's both long and relatively flat so there are lots of "places to go" on a long ride - you can shift forward or back by small amounts to find a place that isn't sore. The Kurve on the other hand has "the spot" where it's comfortable and fore/aft movement gets you off "the spot" and is less comfortable, at least to me.

As always with saddles, YMMV but that's my experience thus far.

This has been my experience with the Kurve Snake. It just doesn't seem to disappear like various Arione models. But once you find that sweet spot, there is a level of comfort and support that mimics a Brooks. I think one advantage of being forced to find that sweet spot, in my riding, is that I find myself changing my position less.

No complaints really, but I would prefer it to be flatter. Also, I think it's a rad looking saddle. Love the shape and the red rails/frame.