PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing Mt Hamilton Classic?

kgreene10
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I'll be in the Bay Area next weekend and signed up for the 35+ 4 race. I haven't done this course before, so any advice would be helpful. I'm especially nervous about the technical descent (we don't really have those in Austin).

Most importantly, can anyone give me a ride back to the start? I do have some acquaintances with whom I can ride back to San Jose, but I'm not sure I'll be up for another 43 miles after the 63 mile race.

cnighbor1
05-21-2012, 03:02 PM
I have gone up at least five times. Not sure if your going up and over to Livermore. West side going up has a good climb say 5.5% than a short flat at state park than more climbing.Again 5.5% Near top are a series of switch backs at 10% Than if finishing at very top a straigth road to the observerty (sp) after a sharp left Now if going to livermore there is long down with sharp corners and have gravel in them. after long down a few rollers to Junction. rollers have some grade to them say 4.5% A bit after you get to a juction you climb than ride a long sort of flat valley 5 miles.than a long climb out of valley. say 4 to 5 miles at 5.5% grade than a long fast desent to valley Livermore is in and basic flatish to Livermore
I am in walnut Creek if that helps but sort of out of the way. I could offer place to stay.
Charles
925 708-1295

cnighbor1
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Start/Finish: Sunol, across from General Store

0.0 Left from parking lot to Niles Canyon
0.2 Left on Niles Canyon becomes Calavaras at 1.3
14.8 Right on Calavaras (at Felter/Calavaras)
15.7 Left side of road Ed Levin Park - Water/RR - REGROUP
16.6 Left on Piedmont Rd (Miles 19-20 shopping centers, 7-11 -
last chance to buy food)
20.5 Left Penitencia
20.9 Right Toyon
21.8 Left Mckee
22.3 Left Alum Rock
22.6 Right Mt. Hamilton
RR and water at Grant County Park (approx. 30 miles)
42 SUMMIT. Water/RR - option to turn back
to Freemont/Sunol - continue becomes San Antonio Valley Rd.
(Mines Road at Alameda Co.) - no services until
San Antonio Junction
60.0 Junction at Del Puerto, San Antonio Junction Bar.
87.5 Left Tesla becomes S. Livermore
88.5 Left Wente
89.5 Right Marinia
89.7 Left Arroyo
90.1 Right Superior
91.1 Right Lexington
91.4 Left Holmes becomes E. Vallacitos
93.0 Right E. Vineyard
97.3 Left Bernal
99.0 Left Sunol Blvd
101.0 Left Foothill Rd.
Ends at parking lot - approximately 108 miles.

kgreene10
05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes, that's more or less the route -- up the mountain, then down Mines Rd to Livermore. Thanks very much for your generous offer of a place to stay. We have family in Berkeley and will be staying up there.

John H.
05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
that descent is the real deal.
Most of it you can take pretty fast- but pay attention to the switchbacks and especially the places where they have the "slow down" signs and tape.
They aren't kidding.
Some of the switchbacks are off camber- if you try to carry to much speed you can lose the wheels.

kgreene10
05-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks John -- are the "slow down" signs permanent ones that are there for the cars or are they put up specifically for the bike race? And is the tape something they put on the road itself? I just want to know what to look for.

John H.
05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
It is stuff they put out for the race.
I think there is a cattle guard in one of the switchback as well.
Like I said- real deal but not crazy or taking your life into your own hands- just use good sense.
Seems like they airlift someone out of there every year.

kgreene10
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Seems like they airlift someone out of there every year.

Gulp!

For a guy who somehow managed to fall down on a dry and gravel-free corner while riding by himself two weeks ago, this strikes a chord (of fear). Of course, that's the last thing I need while descending. I am now chanting quietly my personal mantra.

On the other hand, getting airlifted would save me the ride back from Livermore to San Jose.

John H.
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Just be mellow- not fearful.

scottcw2
05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Never thought descending Mt. Hamilton was technical, used to do it with cars on the road. I was a lot younger and probably a lot dumber then...

benitosan1972
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Never thought descending Mt. Hamilton was technical, used to do it with cars on the road. I was a lot younger and probably a lot dumber then...

descending Mt Hamilton is considered technical when you consider
the debris on the corners, the off camber turns, the potholes, and a few sweeping hairpins... especially if you've never done it before, i've seen more than a few riders shuttled down the mountain in the back of an ambulance.

just take it safe, even if its a race, you'll finish last or DNF if you crash out,
you'll only lose a few seconds by gently hitting the brakes, but do it before the turn, it won't help you much mid-arc... be careful, have fun, drink a beer or ten at the end.

cnighbor1
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
there is no water service, no electrical service, no sewer service
there no services Maybe cell phones work
On west side is the high tect world of the south bay
A very big contrast

cnighbor1
05-21-2012, 11:51 PM
even racing I would go down slower than rest and forget about placing

Louis
05-21-2012, 11:57 PM
descending Mt Hamilton is considered technical when you consider
the debris on the corners, the off camber turns, the potholes, and a few sweeping hairpins...

For me, other than cars passing on blind turns, unexpected gravel in a downhill turn is just about the scariest thing in cycling.

benitosan1972
05-21-2012, 11:59 PM
True & True.

Once you commit to the backside, you're on your own.
Nothing much at all until you near Livermore. Crash on backside,
and it'll be a really really long day, someone will need to fetch you, so it's best
to use caution, descend in one piece then grind & make up time on Mines,
there will be headwind though, so dig deep. BTW, frontside ain't a bad climb, but pace yourself cuz it's a LONG 20-miles with 3-separate climbs: 1 that descends into valley, then climb out valley to bridge, last one you can TT to
Observatory, just don't look up or it'll feel like forever.

Not to scare you, these are tips to climbing/descending one of the highest peaks around here... since you asked

pdmtong
05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
True & True.

Once you commit to the backside, you're on your own.
Nothing much at all until you near Livermore. Crash on backside,
and it'll be a really really long day, someone will need to fetch you, so it's best
to use caution, descend in one piece then grind & make up time on Mines,
there will be headwind though, so dig deep. BTW, frontside ain't a bad climb, but pace yourself cuz it's a LONG 20-miles with 3-separate climbs: 1 that descends into valley, then climb out valley to bridge, last one you can TT to
Observatory, just don't look up or it'll feel like forever.

Not to scare you, these are tips to climbing/descending one of the highest peaks around here... since you asked

listen to b'san...he's got it nailed. the climb up is not a big deal...it's just looooong. that little white golf ballup there never seems to get closer until you are right under it.

even with the ATOC using that route the roads are still not great. too bumpy in the wrong spots and who knows where all that loose gravel comes from.

a few years ago I'm up there on jan 2 - 29d and still snow on top. one of the guys pops his spoke about 0.5 m form the summit...even on the front side it is a long wait for help - ride back, get car, drive back. so unless you have support, enjoy the ride and stay upright.

kgreene10
05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
The climb UP sounds great. That's why I'm doing the race! I get the sense that it's like a longer version of Mt Diablo -- not steep, but just keeps going. Or maybe a bit like Mt Wilson in Pasadena.

Now, anyone out there doing the race who might be able to give me a (car) ride from the finish back to the start? Odd thing, this point-to-point race.

pdmtong
05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
exactly...a longer version of mt diablo - at least mt diablo up to the ranger station junction.

for casual riding, mt hamiliton is just 18 miles of steady uphill. nothing that makes you go "oh crap" when you come to it, but just on and on and on.

there is NOTHING on the backside, so you need to be fully self contained.

benitosan1972
05-22-2012, 01:17 AM
I bet you can hitch-sag a ride from other competitors or support back to SJ
Since everyone ends up in Livermore, there will be people going back.
There's also Bart from Livermore to Fremont worst case but you'll still pretty
far from SJ, about a 45 min ride, but you'll be too toast to do that after 100.

Can't think of anything else short of someone here, a taxi, or a racer with extra room in his/her own sag ride. Unless you can plant a car at the end the day before?

Sw341034
05-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I will be there. Unfortunately they only let us Cat 5's go up. :(