PDA

View Full Version : Davis to Davis 200 mile ride report 2012

cnighbor1
05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Here is 200 mile 5/19/2012 ride report by a fellow Grizzy peak club member
all the climbs have names by now. It starts in davis goes over to napa valley and back. Lotos of long climbs but no big elevations gains Maybe 2000' max
''Ride report for the yesterday's davis double:

http://lisamc.net/2012/05/20/davis-double-ride-report/

Sorry for the length. I should edit it more, but I am sleepy, so I am off to take a nap.

-lisamc

akelman
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Congratulations to your friend, Charles. That's an extraordinary achievement.

Bob Ross
05-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Lotos of long climbs

This is Davis, California?!?!? I went for a 40 mile ride around Davis CA a couple years ago, and the total elevation gain for the entire ride was twenty feet! Didn't know there were hills anywhere near Davis.

maunahaole
05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Bob, it is about 40 miles to ride to the hills.

akelman
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
The Coast Range rises exactly eighteen riding miles from downtown Davis. One can get one's fill of climbing there.

tiretrax
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Congratulations. Doing a double century is heroic in my book at any temperature, but at 100+. WOW!

Peter B
05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Cardiac is the first 'climb', modest and tops out at maybe 10% at the steepest. Rollers from there to Pope Valley followed by a few more real climbs, albeit shortish. But the acsent to the top of Cobb Mountain will get your attention. It is sustained 10-11% for 2 miles straight. Most folks hit it just as the mercury is beginning to climb in earnest.

All in the present Davis DC route has about 8 or 9,000' of climbing, not 'hard' by CTC standards. But consider that that climbing comes in the first 100 miles and factor in the normally high temperatures and sustained south headwinds on the return through Capay Valley and finisher's earn their prize.

I stoked a tandem on 2008 or 2009 and it reached 113* coming into Guinda, about 40 miles from the finish. In other years it's been a slow solo slog south into that infernal wind. Any more I just get on the back of a fast tandem and try to knock it out so we're done by 3pm.

smead
05-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Big thumbs up to my wife for completing this year's DDC as her first double century - did it on the back of our tandem. She rocked - ate/drank well, didn't bonk, didn't even complain until about mile 160. She was intimidated by all the horrid tales of climbing cobb (which is a bitch), but we spun up w/ 30-32 gearing just fine. Several screaming 50+ MPH descents were big fun on the tandem - we were blowing by singles like they were standing still. PeterB has stoked for me on several other doubles and puts out huge power all day .. All I needed from my wife was to just spin and give me a modicum of effort sustained all day and she delivered in spades! We finished in 14:50, 12:50 ride time - I was expecting it to take at least a couple hours longer ... :banana:

dana_e
05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
in 10 hours total when I was in shape in 1991.

Glory Days....

Peter B
05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
The 'new' Cobb route adds about 30 minutes to the fastest times compared to the old Big Canyon version. Temperature can play a very big role too. I've ridden it at 113* (very tough) whereas last weekend topped out about 90*.

Waldo
05-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Cardiac is the first 'climb', modest and tops out at maybe 10% at the steepest. Rollers from there to Pope Valley followed by a few more real climbs, albeit shortish. But the acsent to the top of Cobb Mountain will get your attention. It is sustained 10-11% for 2 miles straight. Most folks hit it just as the mercury is beginning to climb in earnest.

All in the present Davis DC route has about 8 or 9,000' of climbing, not 'hard' by CTC standards. But consider that that climbing comes in the first 100 miles and factor in the normally high temperatures and sustained south headwinds on the return through Capay Valley and finisher's earn their prize.

I stoked a tandem on 2008 or 2009 and it reached 113* coming into Guinda, about 40 miles from the finish. In other years it's been a slow solo slog south into that infernal wind. Any more I just get on the back of a fast tandem and try to knock it out so we're done by 3pm.

I'll say only that Peter KNOWS what he's talking about when he talks about California double centuries. I'll add that Davis Double's climbing is even more condensed than Peter says, coming almost entirely in a 65-70-mile stretch that follows the flat run toward the hills.