PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Apps

msl819
05-20-2012, 03:20 PM
This may have been discussed but a search lead me nowhere. Are any of you using apps on your phone to capture and log ride info? Which apps are the most accurate and user friendly?

monkeybanana86
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Strava. free with no ads. I don't think you can rely on apps too well for speed but for distance and mapping this is great

rodcad
05-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I use strava too. hard to beat for free.

FlashUNC
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
+1 for Strava. Tough to beat. Just throw it in a pocket and forget about it.

msl819
05-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Is Strava not reliable on speed because it is inaccurate or does it not pause when you stop this affecting your average mph?

TomNguyen
05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Strava is the best.

esldude
05-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I like SportsTracklive. You can read about it at www.sportstracklive.com

There is another called Sports Tracker (which isn't bad) just don't get them mixed up.

I have tried several, and a number are pretty good. Just depends on your particular needs and preferences (like do you want it to interface with a heart monitor). I find all of them pretty darn good for average speed. They do tend to get max speeds wrong quite often. Distance they get well. Also they tend to get total elevations wrong. Haven't seen any that get that right.

Some like Endomondo, or Mapmyride. Strava seems a favorite and is good also. Allsport GPS by Trimble outdoors is pretty good.

Lots are free or have free trials. So worth checking them out for yourself.

racer1192
08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I have been using mapmyride for the last few weeks, and the distance and route is spot on. It seems to overestimate speed from time to time though.

bigmatt
08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have problems with Strava? I have been using it on my work commute and 1 weekend ride the past few weeks. At first it worked great and kept track great. Now every ride I do it stops somewhere during the ride. The stopping point has been random and my ride is exactly the same every time I use it. I deleted it and reinstalled it and that didn't help. Last few rides I have just stopped using it.

g00dride
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Strava for the win. So much fun trying to beat people's route times.

Bob Loblaw
08-21-2012, 07:43 AM
+1 for Strava.

I tried it once a year or so ago and found it wildly inaccurate. The new version is excellent. When paired with the strava.com site, it even gives reasonably consistent altitude data.

BL

Jaq
08-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Just to be contrary...

Took my computer of the bike about a month ago. Don't miss it at all.

CTracer
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Strava if you are uploading to Strava. Cyclemeter is another very nice standalone app which can export data in various formats. It does cost a few buck, however.

boxerboxer
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Strava is my favorite. When training, though, I simultaneously run Strava and Endomondo, because Endomondo allows you to program interval workouts and will tell you when each portion of the interval begins. I've got the paid version of Endomondo, and am not sure if that feature is available for free.

jmoore
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
MyTracks on Andriod used to be great until the latest "update". Now it sucks. It's getting HAMMERED in the ratings after the update.

I am going to have to try Strava or MapMyRide.

msl819
08-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have problems with Strava? I have been using it on my work commute and 1 weekend ride the past few weeks. At first it worked great and kept track great. Now every ride I do it stops somewhere during the ride. The stopping point has been random and my ride is exactly the same every time I use it. I deleted it and reinstalled it and that didn't help. Last few rides I have just stopped using it.

I was having similar issues with Strava on my iPhone but it was caused by the touch screen being touched and stopping the ride. I simply start the ride then lock the screen and have not had any issues since. That is just my experience although I did miss some bigs rides though.

Lewdvig
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I track everything in Endomondo and export certain rides with popular segments to Strava. I only have one KOM but a few top 10's on some popular routes. That's only because the really fast guys don't care about those routes. LOL

Most of my pals (despite riding massive miles every year, very quickly) are too casual to use Strava.

If I could only use one, I would stick to Endomondo.

Lewdvig
08-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Just to be contrary...

Took my computer of the bike about a month ago. Don't miss it at all.

Yeah, my phone goes in a plastic bag inside a jersey pocket and I look at the results when I get home. I am trying to sustain 500 km/week so I watch my times carefully for signs that I am even more overtrained than I think.

The roads around where I live are super busy with cyclists, so there are always goals (catch next guy/group or resist being caught). Have an LCD with tons of info is no use to me.

Strava's estimated power feature is neat.

SoulCycle
08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Strava rocks...wish they new how to effectively implement auto pause though...:cool: