PDA

View Full Version : Touching up paint chip with nail polish??

efleigh
05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello, so I have been recommended in the past to use clear nail polish to touch up paint chips on steel frames. I was just wondering if anyone here would back up that idea, or have anything to say against it? Ive always done the wd-40 bath, then wax on my steel frames but it doesnt happen as often as it should and doesnt always keep rust out of these blemishes. Thanks!

dave thompson
05-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Nail polish works very well, you may be able to find some the correct color.

Clean the area well, degrease/dewax with alcohol, lightly sand immediate area, apply polish lightly. For better results, you can use a paintbrush intended for use painting models, you'll have finer control with it.

efleigh
05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Excellent, thanks!

alancw3
05-20-2012, 12:29 PM
nail polish works but testors hobby paint works better imho. easy to match with all their colors.

monkeybanana86
05-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I do it and it works!

wallymann
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Clean the area well, degrease/dewax with alcohol, lightly sand immediate area, apply polish lightly. For better results, you can use a paintbrush intended for use painting models, you'll have finer control with it.

all great advice *except* the sanding.

i prefer to leave the area unsanded but *thoroughly* cleaned. i then fill the nick or ding with nailpolish or paint and make sure to "mound" the paint above the the original finish.

once fully cured i then then use very fine finishing sandpaper to level the touch-up with the original finish, then polish to a high gloss and seamless transition.

efleigh
05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow nice, sounds good. I prefer to try to polish the rust out with an oil rag, but really want to keep the stuff away after I clean it.

efleigh
05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Also, what do they call the tubing thats used to go over the shifter cables where they contact the bottom bracket, I assume to keep the cables from eating a hole through the bottom bracket? I need some of that tubing.