PDA

View Full Version : It's official

oldpotatoe
05-20-2012, 09:53 AM
By far the hardest part of electronic shifting installation is getting the wires thru the frame, with internal. PLUS some frame makers 'ideas' of where to put the holes and battery. Makes cervelo internal cables seem easy by comparison.

For protection, the best is behind the bottle cage, regardless of how it looks, IMHO. Be a shame to have a big rock come up and smack it if it lives below the downtube.

Nelson99
05-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Frustrating install? My condolences.

You'd think designers would be smart enough to anticipate this with some elegant solution.

Oh well.

zap
05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Did it 18 years ago, install internal rear electronic shifting wires through a Look KG196. Fortunately I knew a thing or two about splicing tiny 4 conducter wires-mil spec too.

I think it took me 6 hours..............but I've been informed by some that the Shimano electrics is pretty easy.....but maybe not for all frames.

......waiting for Campy electric and a frame to go with it.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Did it 18 years ago, install internal rear electronic shifting wires through a Look KG196. Fortunately I knew a thing or two about splicing tiny 4 conducter wires-mil spec too.

I think it took me 6 hours..............but I've been informed by some that the Shimano electrics is pretty easy.....but maybe not for all frames.

......waiting for Campy electric and a frame to go with it.

Well, it isn't 'hard', but it can be difficult. Time consuming. shimano's come with a bunch of zip ties on it to keep it from rattling, Campag has all the wires attached to the battery/brain so getting them thru one hole can be challenging.

Setting them up once installed is a snap, for both.

William
05-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Don't know if this will help on internal tube wiring but I'll throw it out there. I watched a friend install internal wiring on his custom motorcycle. He tied a long string to the wire, then using compressed air, fed the string into the frame. The air looked for the easiest way out, the exit hole and the string fed through. Then he grabbed the string and used it to pull the wiring through.

William

veloduffer
05-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Don't know if this will help on internal tube wiring but I'll throw it out there. I watched a friend install internal wiring on his custom motorcycle. He tied a long string to the wire, then using compressed air, fed the string into the frame. The air looked for the easiest way out, the exit hole and the string fed through. Then he grabbed the string and used it to pull the wiring through.

I'd be cautious about using compressed air. Some bikes have little plastic sleeves inside the frame that could easily be dislodged.

From what I've seen, some bikes have internal routing/bends so severe that getting the cable to move well is near impossible. It just makes for very finicky setup and shifting, which is bad for newbies on bikes (kind of like giving a new golfer a set of muscleback/blades as their first set of clubs). For the LBS, I imagine there will be a lot more service calls for "my bike isn't shifting properly".

echelon_john
05-21-2012, 07:56 AM
OP was about fishing electrical wires

I'd be cautious about using compressed air. Some bikes have little plastic sleeves inside the frame that could easily be dislodged.

From what I've seen, some bikes have internal routing/bends so severe that getting the cable to move well is near impossible. It just makes for very finicky setup and shifting, which is bad for newbies on bikes (kind of like giving a new golfer a set of muscleback/blades as their first set of clubs). For the LBS, I imagine there will be a lot more service calls for "my bike isn't shifting properly".

William
05-21-2012, 07:57 AM

I agree. But the PSI does not need to be cranked to get a string to pass through.

William

oldpotatoe
05-21-2012, 08:03 AM

William

Thanks, Campag has the best setup. Stiff wire with a magnet..fish it thru, attach to end of wire with a connector and magnet..pull thru. shimano you just fish it thru. Moots, hollow tubes, poke out the hole in the downtube. Just doesn't seem very elegant, all these holes in the frame for wires that have to come out. I know, some have hacked the system and put the battery inside the frame also but that's WAT too much trouble, IMHO.

I only hope when wet discs make there way to road bikes, all the wet lines run thru the frame..........................KIDDING..gonna get crowded in there.

Lessee, sharp part of frame cuts a hydraulic line, hydraulic fluid goes into frame, brakes go away, electronic shorts out..............................

can't wait.